• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instruction Manual - like anyone will read it
1 1

43 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Simple:

1. Make a thread for feedback for yourself. Yes you can start your own.
  2. Link to it in your signature line and/or add it to your profile.
  3. Encourage people you buy and sell with that had a good experience to post a kudos in your thread.

If you edit your profile, I have added a field for linking to your kudos thread, which will then show up under your name on posts you make.

简单:

1. 做反馈的一条螺纹你自己的。 是您能开始您自己。

2. 它的链接在您的署名线。

3. 鼓励您买卖与那有张贴好的经验在您的螺纹的荣誉的人。

Fudge, I forgot to order the English language version. doh!

简单:

1. 做反馈的一条螺纹你自己的。 是您能开始您自己。

2. 它的链接在您的署名线。

3. 鼓励您买卖与那有张贴好的经验在您的螺纹的荣誉的人。

Fudge, I forgot to order the English language version. doh!

Maybe we can translate it into Southy for you?

• Administrator

More instructions!

As a person leaving feedback on newer transactions, it would probably be really cool to link to the selling thread that you purchased from. This helps to establish the credibility of the feedback.

That having been said, I know a bunch of people are leaving generalized feedback about past transactions right now. I think that's fine. No need to go back and dredge up past threads. But on new stuff I think it would help alot.

Can someone please provide me a link to seanfinh's "so lame that even ebay rejects them" Random Feedback Generator? Thanks!

Capable seller. Some command of the English language. Reputed mouth breather.

That's what it generated for you MA-hole.

• Administrator

I'm not following your logic. A feedback thread is just a container for people to leave feedback. The reason people can start them for themselves is that it reliably creates one for those who are interested in having them, and helps that person know about and locate said thread for linking in their signature.

The fact that the person who receives that feedback is the one who starts the thread is no different than if I started the threads for everyone. Either you get kudos or you do not.

I do think that we will need to declare an end to the general historical "dealt with him in the past" types of statements shortly and start restricting feedback to posts with links to actual buy/sell threads to keep things verifiable. However, that hasn't got anything to do with who starts the thread.

The biggest issue with this format will be keeping it kudos focused, as people will see a thread with an individual's name as an invitation to comment generally on that person. The kudos thread was generic enough that the temptation to slam a particular person was lower.

Why? Because people who wanted to deal with that person would be less likely to see those negative posts in the big generic kudos threads. The effectiveness of the personal threads in terms of buyers and sellers being able to find positive feedback on a person is the same thing that tempts those with negative feedback to violate the posting guidelines. But that's just par for the moderation course. (shrug)

• Administrator

I'm focusing us on positive feedback right now because it allows us to test out the one-thread-per-person model without confusing the one-thread-per-person model with the secondary change of combining positive and negative feedback together.

Also, we are preserving the current centralized probation discussion / probation list format in a way that allows the community to review and contribute to disputes. Without that central format the negative feedback becomes an isolated argument between parties.

We could allow everyone to chip in their opinions on each feedback thread for each dispute, but you can see that many disputes would get missed by most of the community in that situation. We do not need to force the community to read tons of positive feedback threads for people that they are not doing a deal with just to see if they can help shape the response to a bad deal. It's a time sink.

Additionally if the situation gets worked out satisfactorily then there will be a lot of clutter on the feedback threads for what ultimately becomes a non-event.

What I think we will probably move towards (NOT YET, DON'T GET JUMPY - KUDOS ONLY RIGHT NOW) is that if a person ends up on the probation list or hall of shame, then a single post noting that fact could be placed in the feedback thread for a person. That way individual threads don't become big clumsy debates but instead are simple summaries of the end results of transactions - satisfactory or not. But the negative feedback would go through the current community filter before getting entrenched.

Also, we are preserving the current centralized probation discussion / probation list format in a way that allows the community to review and contribute to disputes. Without that central format the negative feedback becomes an isolated argument between parties.

We could allow everyone to chip in their opinions on each feedback thread for each dispute, but you can see that many disputes would get missed by most of the community in that situation. We do not need to force the community to read tons of positive feedback threads for people that they are not doing a deal with just to see if they can help shape the response to a bad deal. It's a time sink.

Additionally if the situation gets worked out satisfactorily then there will be a lot of clutter on the feedback threads for what ultimately becomes a non-event.

Sounds like a logical way to approach it. Personally, I think Arch is approaching it all the right way.