• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ive Got a SHot @ XMen 1 8.5

28 posts in this topic

Here's the sales list from the X-Men thread.

8.5 ow/w - CL 6/10 auction - $12,506

8.5 ow - 1/10 CL auction - $12,575 (1/10) mine, going to a good home I hope. It has been with me since 2003 but it is time to let it go.

8.5 ow - 9/09 CL auction - $12,053

8.5 ow/w - 2/10 Qualitycomix auction - $11,350

8.5 - 2/10 CL auction - $14,350

what do u guys think is current market value on this book?

i knwo GPA for 8.5 's are around 12-13k and 9.0's 28-29k

the thing is this book has white pages and is rally white covered

what do u think is a fair price?

15k??

Well, I own an X-men 1 in CGC 8.5 so I'm biased!

But IMO with CGC 8.0s selling for $10k-$11k now and CGC 9.0s now pushing in some cases $28k+, CGC 8.5s to me seem very undervalued at $12k-$13k (which was my reasoning for purchasing an 8.5 in the first place)

I just don't see a lot of down side value-wise to buying an 8.5 right now and can't see that book in that grade going anywhere but up.

Recent sales seem to be in the $12,500-$13,500 range so from that point of view $15,000 may be a tad high. But if its a nice copy with white pages, a white cover, and you plan on holding it for a while I can't see you getting hurt down the road even if you have to pay $15k to get it. (thumbs u

15k??

But IMO with CGC 8.0s selling for $10k-$11k now and CGC 9.0s now pushing in some cases $28k+, CGC 8.5s to me seem very undervalued at $12k-$13k (which was my reasoning for purchasing an 8.5 in the first place)

I just don't see a lot of down side value-wise to buying an 8.5 right now and can't see that book in that grade going anywhere but up.

Recent sales seem to be in the $12,500-$13,500 range so from that point of view $15,000 may be a tad high. But if its a nice copy with white pages, a white cover, and you plan on holding it for a while I can't see you getting hurt down the road even if you have to pay $15k to get it. (thumbs u

+1

15k??

ai agree

i think the book has alot of legs, esp when u look @ 9.0 and 9.2 prices

15k??

ai agree

i think the book has alot of legs, esp when u look @ 9.0 and 9.2 prices

I agree too. Not to mention the fact that there is a very noticeable difference in quality between 8.0 and 8.5. The quality difference between 8.5 and 9.0 is negligible.

8.5 is one of my favorite grades. :applause:

Will the seller take 13k? I mean obviously you want to buy as low as you can. Then you should send it to a presser, have it pressed, then have it slabbed. Just my opinion but if you're not maximizing the potential of the book then you're wasting your money because you when you sell it, someone else will gladly press it into the 25-28k range.

Will the seller take 13k? I mean obviously you want to buy as low as you can. Then you should send it to a presser, have it pressed, then have it slabbed. Just my opinion but if you're not maximizing the potential of the book then you're wasting your money because you when you sell it, someone else will gladly press it into the 25-28k range.

It's naive to think that every book will press up and become more valuable. What if the book goes down in grade, as happens some times?

People have this concept in their heads that everything is a slam dunk. It isn't. They see all the big winners but rarely hear about the losers.

(shrug)

15k??

I agree with this. If it is as white as you say, it will demand a premium in today's market. 10-20% higher than OW/W copies might be in line with auction results.

15k??

Is it the one that just went up on CLink for $15k?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3909%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D%26f1%3Di.LastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC&id=861578

If so, it's a nice-looking book, but the mis-cut kills it for me :sorry:

Maybe he's not trying to instantly flip it. Maybe he plans on holding on to it for a few years. Maybe in a few years, pressing will be detectable and be less desirable than untouched books? Then what does he do?

Why the immediate need to press it as soon as you get it?

And, as Roy stated, not every book can even be improved by pressing.