• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ive Got a SHot @ XMen 1 8.5

28 posts in this topic

what do u guys think is current market value on this book?

i knwo GPA for 8.5 's are around 12-13k and 9.0's 28-29k

the thing is this book has white pages and is rally white covered

what do u think is a fair price?

15k??

Is it the one that just went up on CLink for $15k?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3909%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D%26f1%3Di.LastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC&id=861578

If so, it's a nice-looking book, but the mis-cut kills it for me :sorry:

Likely not the book.

He said it was a white pager.

what do u guys think is current market value on this book?

i knwo GPA for 8.5 's are around 12-13k and 9.0's 28-29k

the thing is this book has white pages and is rally white covered

what do u think is a fair price?

15k??

Is it the one that just went up on CLink for $15k?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3909%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D%26f1%3Di.LastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC&id=861578

If so, it's a nice-looking book, but the mis-cut kills it for me :sorry:

Likely not the book.

He said it was a white pager.

Missed that part... just saw the price - my bad!

Will the seller take 13k? I mean obviously you want to buy as low as you can. Then you should send it to a presser, have it pressed, then have it slabbed. Just my opinion but if you're not maximizing the potential of the book then you're wasting your money because you when you sell it, someone else will gladly press it into the 25-28k range.

Maybe he's not trying to instantly flip it. Maybe he plans on holding on to it for a few years. Maybe in a few years, pressing will be detectable and be less desirable than untouched books? Then what does he do?

Why the immediate need to press it as soon as you get it?

And, as Roy stated, not every book can even be improved by pressing.

This would illustrate my point nicely.

I just read in the X-men #1 thread in SA Forum that the number of X-men #1 went down in CGC 9.4 by one but went up in CGC 9.2. Looks like somebody possibly got a down grade.

:o

I also noticed that one CGC 9.4 is missing from the DD #7 census (and I took Doug's upgraded PC copy going to 9.6 in account) so the only explanation I have is that one copy of that book in CGC went down in grade as well.

As you can see, it's not all slam dunks.

Will the seller take 13k? I mean obviously you want to buy as low as you can. Then you should send it to a presser, have it pressed, then have it slabbed. Just my opinion but if you're not maximizing the potential of the book then you're wasting your money because you when you sell it, someone else will gladly press it into the 25-28k range.

Maybe he's not trying to instantly flip it. Maybe he plans on holding on to it for a few years. Maybe in a few years, pressing will be detectable and be less desirable than untouched books? Then what does he do?

Why the immediate need to press it as soon as you get it?

And, as Roy stated, not every book can even be improved by pressing.

This would illustrate my point nicely.

I just read in the X-men #1 thread in SA Forum that the number of X-men #1 went down in CGC 9.4 by one but went up in CGC 9.2. Looks like somebody possibly got a down grade.

:o

I also noticed that one CGC 9.4 is missing from the DD #7 census (and I took Doug's upgraded PC copy going to 9.6 in account) so the only explanation I have is that one copy of that book in CGC went down in grade as well.

As you can see, it's not all slam dunks.

Okay, IF it can be improved with pressing then have it pressed. Maybe not immediately the day he buys it, but if he decides to sell it...it is currently a raw book from the sound of it, so how could the grade go up or down?

I would go for it at about 13K and immediately get it slabbed with a Walkthru.

Regarding the pressing advice, doesn't it make sense to first see what the grade is without the press ? If, after enjoying it for a while, you decide to sell it then get it pressed. I haven't pressed many books but in some cases I have wondered if it mattered at all = it would have gotten the same grade anyway.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

I would go for it at about 13K and immediately get it slabbed with a Walkthru.

Regarding the pressing advice, doesn't it make sense to first see what the grade is without the press ? If, after enjoying it for a while, you decide to sell it then get it pressed. I haven't pressed many books but in some cases I have wondered if it mattered at all = it would have gotten the same grade anyway.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

As usual, Great advice.