• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Forum stance on Bootleg items.??

69 posts in this topic

I just wanted to throw this out there.

What's the stance here on bootleg items being offered for sale?

I am talking about items that were created in complete violation of copyright and trademark where neither the creator nor the original publisher are given any compensation?

Is it considered bad form to mention it in the body of the sales thread?

For example artbooks printed in another country, with scans lifted or stolen from ComicArtFans.com and other sites, and reprinted without a dime going to the artist the book is about.

What would you all do?

Are we referring to someone or is it curiosity?

Over the last few months there have been a few threads in the sales forum selling these items. There are threads in the art section sales area from time to time and in the regular sales section.

Each time they come up I wonder what the best way to handle it is. The sellers never mention that they are bootleg. Once or twice I have PMd to tell them that they are bootleg but they never update their threads to reflect that these are not licensed products.

So I don't know if it's a thread or if it's justified being that some folks might not realize they are buying bootleg items.

There's a publisher in Europe floats around the internet stealing scans from people and their websites and putting them in a book. I think the name is Dollmen. They even stole a scan of one of my Bolland commission pieces and put it in their book, they had to print it small because I had the scan watermarked.

So is it a threadcrap to mention it in the thread?

The counterfeit Cerebus #1 seems to be fairly well accepted.

I honestly think it's a bad idea for CGC to put counterfeit books in cases.

IIRC, if a sportscard grading company gets a counterfeit card in they destroy it to remove it from the marketplace. It's been a long time since I've payed any attention to them, but I thought that was the case. I remember some guy submitting a counterfeit '52 Topps Mantle that he paid a ton of money for and (PSA?) destroyed it.

I think it's a good idea to destroy them, actually.

The counterfeit Cerebus #1 seems to be fairly well accepted.

I honestly think it's a bad idea for CGC to put counterfeit books in cases.

IIRC, if a sportscard grading company gets a counterfeit card in they destroy it to remove it from the marketplace. It's been a long time since I've payed any attention to them, but I thought that was the case. I remember some guy submitting a counterfeit '52 Topps Mantle that he paid a ton of money for and (PSA?) destroyed it.

I think it's a good idea to destroy them, actually.

It probably is what they should do, but it doesn't stop me from wanting a bootleg Cerebus ;)

Are we referring to someone or is it curiosity?

Over the last few months there have been a few threads in the sales forum selling these items. There are threads in the art section sales area from time to time and in the regular sales section.

Each time they come up I wonder what the best way to handle it is. The sellers never mention that they are bootleg. Once or twice I have PMd to tell them that they are bootleg but they never update their threads to reflect that these are not licensed products.

So I don't know if it's a thread or if it's justified being that some folks might not realize they are buying bootleg items.

There's a publisher in Europe floats around the internet stealing scans from people and their websites and putting them in a book. I think the name is Dollmen. They even stole a scan of one of my Bolland commission pieces and put it in their book, they had to print it small because I had the scan watermarked.

So is it a threadcrap to mention it in the thread?

Report the thread, and it will get pulled. I'm sure the PTB don't want people trafficking in that sort of thing here

To me it all depends. Bootleg comics are created pretty much for the sole purpose of ripping people off. The clocks just seem to be filling a gap where there is demand but no product. If someone were making legit comic clocks I would think it should be discouraged. I'm about to get into making aftermarket car parts with OEM badging. I don't think I'm hurting Cadillac by doing it.

To me it all depends. Bootleg comics are created pretty much for the sole purpose of ripping people off. The clocks just seem to be filling a gap where there is demand but no product. If someone were making legit comic clocks I would think it should be discouraged. I'm about to get into making aftermarket car parts with OEM badging. I don't think I'm hurting Cadillac by doing it.

Not sure if your above was at me specifically or not.

I've no issue with the clocks and might get to ordering one myself. The intent to defraud just is not there.

I will ask that all read the link I posted. Then ask the question the OP has.

regards.....

You mean the bootleg clocks?

Naw, I wasn't thinking of the clocks. Mostly books, created with stolen images.

I've no issue with the clocks and might get to ordering one myself. The intent to defraud just is not there.

regards.....

I misunderstood you. I did read the link and I consider the bootleg toys to be in the same realm as bootleg high dollar comics, they exist simply to defraud people. I think we are in agreement on unlicensed collectibles being different from replicas.

regards.....

I misunderstood you. I did read the link and I consider the bootleg toys to be in the same realm as bootleg high dollar comics, they exist simply to defraud people. I think we are in agreement on unlicensed collectibles being different from replicas.

Yes, replicas and fakes are entirely different creatures. Replicas are advertised as such. Fakes = greed.

Such a shame.....

Yes, replicas and fakes are entirely different creatures. Replicas are advertised as such. Fakes = greed.

Such a shame.....

That also applies to boobs. hm