• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

so the #46 got relisted after it sold for 750 and only got 405 this time. the guy who bailed on the previous sale really went overboard i guess.

So...where did all the bidders from the $400 to $750 range from the last auction go to this time? Either somebody got a good deal this time or the $750 figure is an outlier and not truely representative of the market price for this so-called high demand Archie book. hm

It only takes the absence of one person who bid last time to create the difference between $400 and $750. That said, I think $400 is borderline crazy for this book and $750 is :screwy:

You must think that 9.2 going for $1500 was really crazy then? The ones to compare are the #49 7.5 and 7.0 recent sales. They sold for $228 and $161 respectively. I would have bid on the 7.0 but I found my double cover F-VF first.

I would have to agree with 143ksk's opinion that a 9.2 copy for $1,500 or a 8.5 copy for $750 of issue #46 is totally crazy. But $400 for a 8.5 copy is possibly doable from my point of view as this particular issue highlights Montana at his best when it comes to the female form. This issue should most definitely be broken out from the rest of the #40 - #50 run.

Issue #49 at just a bit over guide is also not too bad of a price. Too bad the Archie books were already over by the time I got to my computer as I might have toss in a bid. Oh well, there's always next time. :(

His facts are wrong as well.

"This is the ONLY ISSUE ever published in the UK!"

Not true at all. I have this issue and the second issue and have seen #7 change hands. Never mind that Gerald Swan published a huge number of Archies in the UK throughout the 1950's before the Archie company started printing UK price variants in the US for distribution in the UK.

The book is definitely scarce but the pricing is wishful thinking.

Every now ant then a seller puts up a slabbed signature series copy of Action #252 for TWENTY-FIVE GRAND! I suppose you can ask any price you want but you'd think it would sink in after a while that the seller is light years off base. For 25K i could buy FIVE MINT copies of that book!!

For 25K i could buy FIVE MINT copies of that book!!

Probably not. I doubt there are five mint copies of that book.

just saw my online grades for my first submits to CGC:

Some good news and some really bad news:

Katy Keene #1 came back as a 6.0 (expected) bought it as a 6.0 from metropolis like 6 years ago.

Double cover Archie #49 came back as 7.0 :headbang:

Archie #50 came back as a 6.0 ( I was expecting 5.0 at best) ^^

and heartbreaking my Archie #6 came back as 1.8 brittle :tonofbricks:

It is such a pretty copy but it has a bad chunk on the right edge that killed it.

Its all preliminary so who knows whats going to happen in the end.

Katy Keene #1 came back as a 6.0 (expected) bought it as a 6.0 from metropolis like 6 years ago.

It is such a pretty copy but it has a bad chunk on the right edge that killed it.

nice grades! what were the PQs?

Back in the seventies, the Passaic Used Book Store in New Jersey used to advertise that they had every Archie comic available. I never got up there because no one really collecting Archie comics back then. Oh to have been the wise soul buying up all the forties Archies back then for a song!!

Wonder if anyone on the boards ever visited that store and what it was like??

I remember getting their catalog - as I recall, it had a black cover with a picture of a witch behind a crystal ball. The catalog (circa early-to-mid 70's) did not have every Archie, but the selection was unusually large. The Archies tended to be mid-to-lower grade, even by the more relaxed standards of the 1970's - I remember lots of issues graded in the VG range. I never bought any because they seemed expensive at the time...

Well congratulations on the high grades! OUTSTANDING! That #50 would fetch a pretty penny!

Archie #6 Brittle

Archie #49 OW/W

Archie #50 CR/OW

KK #1 OW/W

Did you submit yours at NYCC? I am still waiting for mine to get out of VERIFIED! I have a Superman 109 and 110 that I have very high hopes for and a Tomb Of Dracula #10 as well as some other books!

Archie #6 Brittle

Archie #49 OW/W

Archie #50 CR/OW

KK #1 OW/W

Did you submit yours at NYCC? I am still waiting for mine to get out of VERIFIED! I have a Superman 109 and 110 that I have very high hopes for and a Tomb Of Dracula #10 as well as some other books!

No I sent everything on 11/15. I used my coupons and for the 4th i fast tracked it.

The 3 from the coupon just got graded yesterday.

I'm still pissed about the archie 6. It was my favorite comic, to find out its a 1.8 was a letdown. I will never be willing to pay 1-2K for another one in better condition.

getting the Archie 49/50 to grade at what they did made up for it though.

I submitted mine at NYCC on the 40 business day cycle which is up on the 8th. Oh well, they should be here by Christmas anyway! I do hope you post pictures of your slabs when they come in!!

Back in the seventies, the Passaic Used Book Store in New Jersey used to advertise that they had every Archie comic available. I never got up there because no one really collecting Archie comics back then. Oh to have been the wise soul buying up all the forties Archies back then for a song!!

I never visited Passaic but back in the 1970's there were VERY few comic shops. there was one in NYC though that I would go to from time to time. I don't think it even had a name! Books were just stacked on tables everywhere. The owner stood behind a raised counter with his prized books behind him. As I recall he had ALL the early comics. I know he had a Superman #1 up there for $100! Can you imagine that?!

I'm still waiting for books that I subbed in mid September, so Christmas may be a bit iffy.

Yup! They are notorious about late shipping. I would just like to see my books move out of "verified". :)

I know it's a little bit off topic but I have noticed that I can often get some VERY nice slabbed books at less than it would cost me to slab them. No sure things in this hobby, that's for sure!

I never visited Passaic but back in the 1970's there were VERY few comic shops. there was one in NYC though that I would go to from time to time. I don't think it even had a name! Books were just stacked on tables everywhere. The owner stood behind a raised counter with his prized books behind him. As I recall he had ALL the early comics. I know he had a Superman #1 up there for $100! Can you imagine that?!

I trekked up to Supersnipe in Manhattan in the early 70's but they were well organized and the comics were on shelves in the back and you had to ask for a title to look at to buy. I heard Robert Bell had a store somewhere in Brooklyn but to a kid from suburban NJ that might as well have been Mars. The flea markets in the 70's still had occassional deals and you could even buy remaindered Marvels in some of the more obscure chain stores right throug the mid 70's. Then the comic stores started to show up and you know the rest.

Archies were usually passed over as a second thought. I had a complete collection of the Archie series from '60-'62 but traded it off at some point, wish I hadn't as they were fun books. The early Little Archies were really great.

I trekked up to Supersnipe in Manhattan in the early 70's but they were well organized and the comics were on shelves in the back and you had to ask for a title to look at to buy. I heard Robert Bell had a store somewhere in Brooklyn but to a kid from suburban NJ that might as well have been Mars. The flea markets in the 70's still had occassional deals and you could even buy remaindered Marvels in some of the more obscure chain stores right throug the mid 70's. Then the comic stores started to show up and you know the rest.

Archies were usually passed over as a second thought. I had a complete collection of the Archie series from '60-'62 but traded it off at some point, wish I hadn't as they were fun books. The early Little Archies were really great.

In a lot of ways it was more fun hunting down books back BEFORE everything was at our fingertips. Of course today we have much more opportunity to fond things on the net and through a tight knot group of collectors who are well organized. And I would never want to go BACK...

But there was something special when it wasn't so...available. I recall hearing for years about a "lost" eposide of The Adventures Of Superman called "Stamp Day For Superman". For years I tried to find a copy and FINALLY found a super 8mm print. This was before even VHS. What a rush it was when I finally got my hands on it!