• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please.

95 posts in this topic

Any way to alphabetize these boardie kudos threads? (shrug)

Yeah, what Kdog said. Any easy way to alphabetize?

Yes, you can do it now.

Do this:

-> Go to the Kudos Forum

-> Scroll down to the bottom of the page to display options

-> Click Sort By and select Thread Starter

-> Choose Ascending

This works if feedback is for the person who started the thread

Yes, you can do it now.

Do this:

-> Go to the Kudos Forum

-> Choose Ascending

Hey cool, I didn't know you could do that. (worship)

It's not fear of change. This isn't really a better system, it is, as you point out, the same useless system rehashed. It's almost as meaningless as the old system was. The bottom line is that the probation thread has value because it tells you who to avoid, which has distinct value. But if new people come on, it's easy to tell through observation and interest who is a reliable buyer and seller. I know of people here who are lurkers with zero posts and no thread? So what?

I rarely participated in the old kudos thread, and I won't be starting my own thread here and linking it. The probation list is a fantastic idea. The kudos thread is, in my mind, useless.

Sometimes change isn't a good thing because it isn't really a good idea. This is just a bunch of people having a thread and people saying I had a good transaction. And? If you had a bad transaction, how many incidents are we going to see of that that just wasn't discussed or raised in the probation thread already?

I'm not opposed to change, I'm opposed to useless change. This is it.

New comers to the boards probably get substantial use from it as they try to get a feel for who has a reliable history of positive transactions. If I were a new buyer I would not feel comforted buying from someone with no easily reviewable positive feedback simply because I couldn't find negative feedback. If I were a new buyer I would rather get a single condensed shot of their kudos than track it down myself or absorb the reputation of someone via osmosis. That is the "And?".

I am not quite following this sentence: "If you had a bad transaction, how many incidents are we going to see of that that just wasn't discussed or raised in the probation thread already?" So I won't try to respond.

Those who have been around a long time AND are frequent participants in the market place probably don't get near as much use from Kudos threads as they already have a sense of who the reliable buyers and sellers are, although they do make themselves more accessible to new members who don't know them.

You are welcome to not start or link your own feedback thread. The utility you take from the feedback forum (or don't), however, does not really cover the gamut of board participants.

But your confidence is very persuasive. You almost had me. Such a black and white world. :baiting:

Arch, the facts deny what you actually lay out as your argument for why this will be effective. How much confusion was there by new buyers as to the marketplace or who were quality sellers or who wasn't? It was a topic never discussed. People observed the marketplace and then jumped in.

Or, how about those who multiple transactions that were great experiences, and then somebody went completely rogue. Now they have "more" confidence because of all the "feedback" -- is the person with the most "feedback" suddenly more trustworthy? Is this the fall back argument that all data is useful so lets put it out there with more threads?

I've never once had a new buyer ask me who I was or showed any trepidation about buying from me. Any questions, I of course, am happy to answer. But I've never encountered that.

My point in the "bad" part is, nobody is going to leave substantial negatives in people's threads. It isn't going to happen. And we already had a mechanism for that. It was called the probation list.

What you've added is to me a layer of bureaucracy. That's the "change" you've effected. Is it easier to find out specific information about a specific buyer? Not really. I can click on anyone and expect to find the same information for everyone. They're good, they pay on time, they sell and they sell an accurate product.

Who's leaving feedback like, I don't think this is accurately graded or that guy didn't give me a proper refund and I think it should have been more or whatever other scenarios can play out. What's the point then? Why have an individual kudos thread? So you can say I have a ton of transactions? Let's just go to straight anonymous feedback and turn things into ebay.

I give you (or the whole staff) for allowing the marketplace to exist and it is an unbelievable benefit. My problem is that philosophically you have said you want to remain outside of the whole regulation -- and yet, you take a system of feedback, which is not broken, and does not offer any specific valuable information, and decide to "fix it". This is not an improvement, and I think over time, that will be borne out. There's not information out there as a result of this.

Yes, you can do it now.

Do this:

-> Go to the Kudos Forum

-> Choose Ascending

Hey cool, I didn't know you could do that. (worship)

All it takes is a spark.

I've never once had a new buyer ask me who I was or showed any trepidation about buying from me. Any questions, I of course, am happy to answer. But I've never encountered that.

I think that's because you've been selling here since when the boards were a lot smaller and your reputation has grown with the boards. There are plenty of us out there who do get asked about our past transactions because we're not well known.

That because you're Asian. People assume you are naturally calm.

Yes, you can do it now.

Do this:

-> Go to the Kudos Forum

-> Choose Ascending

HOTCHA!

THAT right there is the tweak that makes the whole thing workable.

Jazz, a tip of my hat to you! (Oh, and folks, look at the center column, the usename of the person who started the thread, all alphabetical, EASY to find the seller you're interested in. Ignore the thread titles, too much random silliness)

• Administrator

"My point in the "bad" part is, nobody is going to leave substantial negatives in people's threads. It isn't going to happen. And we already had a mechanism for that. It was called the probation list."

No one is supposed to leave negative feedback. That is why this is the kudos forum.

The probation mechanism has been specifically left in place for very particular reasons. We still have it. It still does what it does.

• Administrator

But your confidence is very persuasive. You almost had me. Such a black and white world. :baiting:

:roflmao:

Those attorneys are good at that :baiting:

Arch, I think the stuff not related directly to a transaction will dissipate once the newness of the idea is gone and folks feel as though the many many transactions that took place and where acknowledged in the old system are accounted for in the new feedback threads.

I had been commenting on who I had done business with, successfully, as I saw them make their threads. Once I start making new transactions with folks, I'll mention those specifically.

Although it's a good idea to link back to the transaction (I might try to do this), we are a lazy bunch (ok, maybe just me) and what your asking takes some effort. That may determine the success or lack there of 2c

If what we end up with is as useful as the old kudos thread but it becomes easier to check out your buyer without having to weed through it, then I'd say that's progress. So I'm with you there.

I think that's because you've been selling here since when the boards were a lot smaller and your reputation has grown with the boards. There are plenty of us out there who do get asked about our past transactions because we're not well known.

Fair enough. Right now, I just see this as a mess, but it's certainly possible I'll be proven wrong and more people will really like this. I'm not really anticipating any changes, but who knows. I think this was imposed because the majority (albeit slim) wanted it -- so, it is what it is.

• Administrator

Actually, I did it because it makes sense to me. I had no idea how the kudos thread was even remotely useful any longer given the volume of posts in it. It's just information architecture to me. If you have lots and lots of content in one big generic bucket, at some point a line is crossed and it's time to categorize it to increase the findability of the information.

The discussion around the change was to find out if the community had some other over-riding reason to keep it in a big messy bucket. (For example, I think there IS an over-riding reason right now to centralize negative feedback for community review.) No viable reason emerged, and the strongest opponents of the change say things like, "I don't use the Kudos thread and I won't use this either". So the conclusion is - do it, and let those who don't want to use it... not use it.

Why not have the Probation Discussion and Probation Thread in the same area as the Kudos Forum and rename it the Feedback Forum or Kudos and Probation Forum. Or the Kudos and Some People Suck Forum.

All info in one place.

Actually, I did it because it makes sense to me. I had no idea how the kudos thread was even remotely useful any longer given the volume of posts in it. It's just information architecture to me. If you have lots and lots of content in one big generic bucket, at some point a line is crossed and it's time to categorize it to increase the findability of the information.

I tend to agree. The kudos thread while useful was also highly not useful because you couldn't very easily mine it for what you were looking for.

I was once on another trading (non comic related) forum and we utilized individual feedback threads AND still had a thread for problem transactions. It worked well because (and this is the key) the forum policed itself in this regard.

We also kept our (well intentioned) wise crack comments out of those threads :baiting: and let them be used for what they were intended, feedback on actual transactions.

The discussion around the change was to find out if the community had some other over-riding reason to keep it in a big messy bucket. (For example, I think there IS an over-riding reason right now to centralize negative feedback for community review.) No viable reason emerged, and the strongest opponents of the change say things like, "I don't use the Kudos thread and I won't use this either". So the conclusion is - do it, and let those who don't want to use it... not use it.

Speaking from one architect to another...more like information urban blight... :insane:

Why not have the Probation Discussion and Probation Thread in the same area as the Kudos Forum and rename it the Feedback Forum or Kudos and Probation Forum. Or the Kudos and Some People Suck Forum.

All info in one place.

+1 (thumbs u

I'd argue with you, but we'd be arguing semantics at this point. You made the change. I don't agree with it, but really in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter either way.

All info in one place.

Now that sounds like a bloody good idea.

Although I'm not messing with Arch at the moment, I value my cyberspace wedding tackle.