• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should CGC run ads like this?

Should CGC run ads like this?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC run ads like this?

22 posts in this topic

What they fail to mention in the add is that unless your 'modern gem' receives an ultra high grade (9.8,9.9,10.0), it will be as worthless as when you sent it in. And you will be out the grading fee. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I say let CGC fleece the suckers and inflame the speculators, as it just accelerates the inevitable.

It's truly amazing that no one can see parallels to the insanity of the 1990's.

They don't see it or won't admit it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, there really does seem to be a "cone of silence" surrounding this, much like brokers I knew didn't like me stating that the NASDAQ was overvalued.

They knew the deal, but the newbie investor $$$ were there for the taking.

"Bad for business Vinnie, bad for business"

For me, sending in some books to CGC for the first time was an extremely educational experience. I picked what I thought were some nice Uncanny X-Men from the collection and sent them in. The grades that came back were horrible. I felt like I scored a big 'ol "F" on a big test in school. (X-Men #100, CGC 5.0 -- any takers?)

Sent in some more later and scored some solid 9.4s and 9.6s. Next batch -- a few 9.8s, and the coveted 9.9 on ASM #36v2. The process made me realize just how good a book has to be to get these top grades, and how I was over-grading books before my CGC runs.

I don't think any ads should be run until they've been spell-checked! stooges.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Took me a mnute to catch that one.

Maybe it's a variable.......

I don't think any ads should be run until they've been spell-checked! stooges.gif

It's evidently a special edition book because it's "LIMTED". stooges.gif

CGC doesn't make mstakes, and even if they do, they're still the bst alternative out there. sumo.gif

CGC doesn't make mstakes, and even if they do, they're still the bst alternative out there. sumo.gif

Stop...its Hammer time. makepoint.giftongue.gif

thanks for the new sig...such blind loyalty 893naughty-thumb.gifinsane.gif

(You do realize that ... oh, nevermind.) That's right. I love CGC! I have ALL of my books graded! SLAB OR DIE, [!@#%^&^]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes yes I know that you are probably someone that cracks slabs and that likes raw books...good for you....I am just saying that this is the attitude that most on this board have. not really directing it at you just at that attitude...sorry if I offended you.

thanks for the new sig...such blind loyalty 893naughty-thumb.gifinsane.gif

(You do realize that ... oh, nevermind.) That's right. I love CGC! I have ALL of my books graded! SLAB OR DIE, [!@#%^&^]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes yes I know that you are probably someone that cracks slabs and that likes raw books...good for you....I am just saying that this is the attitude that most on this board have. not really directing it at you just at that attitude...sorry if I offended you.

And I apologize as I now realize I posted that under the "new" name. And you're absolutely right, that IS the prevailing attitude of the board members... just not mine. wink.gif It was intended as sarcasm... I, unfortunately, am a master thespian and I portrayed my role too accurately and with too great a conviction, it would seem... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Regardless, welcome to the boards. Consider yourself hazed.

It's definitely slick marketing--and I can't blame them for that. That's why they are in business--to certify comics and magazines.

What people do with their money/behavior is their business. Ethically though I would also sell the other benefits of certification....liquidity, protection...

...but ethics don't run a biz...or should it... confused-smiley-013.gif

It's definitely slick marketing--and I can't blame them for that. That's why they are in business--to certify comics and magazines.

But they are implying an investment return that really doesn't exist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, the ad is basically fine, but it should have had a small disclaimer on it noting the unpredictablity of return, like any other investment is required to do.....mutual funds, bonds, etc. because that's how the service is being marketed in this instance.