• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should CGC run ads like this?

Should CGC run ads like this?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC run ads like this?

22 posts in this topic

It's definitely slick marketing--and I can't blame them for that. That's why they are in business--to certify comics and magazines.

But they are implying an investment return that really doesn't exist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So they need a disclaimer that basically YOUR RESULTS WILL VARY AND ARE NOT GUARANTEED. Sure, I'll buy that. But you got to admit this is good marketing (who said marketing was truthful). It looks better than "Protect your comic investment for years to come with our state of the art holder."

Which one do you think would sell services?

For me, sending in some books to CGC for the first time was an extremely educational experience. I picked what I thought were some nice Uncanny X-Men from the collection and sent them in. The grades that came back were horrible. I felt like I scored a big 'ol "F" on a big test in school. (X-Men #100, CGC 5.0 -- any takers?)

Sent in some more later and scored some solid 9.4s and 9.6s. Next batch -- a few 9.8s, and the coveted 9.9 on ASM #36v2. The process made me realize just how good a book has to be to get these top grades, and how I was over-grading books before my CGC runs.

I had a very similar experience. Blew my mind the things I was missing. I mistook a ASM252 7.5. Thought I'd get a t least a 9.0. Very educational.