• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Nam
1 1

63 posts in this topic

I was a kid when the series was really going on.  I do remember reading the issues my brother had and thought it was really cool.  Definitely much more gritty than the usual superhero fare I looked at when I was a kid.  I recently completed the #1-84 run with the intention to sit down and read the whole series.  I gained an interest when I found an old box of my dad's that contained his Purple Heart medal, and photos of him and his buddies in Vietnam.  He never really talked much about the bad stuff that happened there but he has been more open about some it after I went into the military.  From what I read over the years, it seems like a series that would be perfect for being adapted into a show although I think most of the series isn't in any demand.  It took some real effort to complete the run.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, mec3437 said:

I was a kid when the series was really going on.  I do remember reading the issues my brother had and thought it was really cool.  Definitely much more gritty than the usual superhero fare I looked at when I was a kid.  I recently completed the #1-84 run with the intention to sit down and read the whole series.  I gained an interest when I found an old box of my dad's that contained his Purple Heart medal, and photos of him and his buddies in Vietnam.  He never really talked much about the bad stuff that happened there but he has been more open about some it after I went into the military.  From what I read over the years, it seems like a series that would be perfect for being adapted into a show although I think most of the series isn't in any demand.  It took some real effort to complete the run.

I imagine a lot of the later issues are really tough to find. Print run has to be low. Considering they were trying to prop up sales in the '50s by running a Punisher story, they must have been tiny by the '80s.

Considering all of the Viet Nam media in the '80s, I imagine that the time for adapting the comic has passed. It would be interesting if they tried a similar comic about Iraq or Afghanistan

On 8/11/2021 at 3:18 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I imagine a lot of the later issues are really tough to find. Print run has to be low. Considering they were trying to prop up sales in the '50s by running a Punisher story, they must have been tiny by the '80s.

Considering all of the Viet Nam media in the '80s, I imagine that the time for adapting the comic has passed. It would be interesting if they tried a similar comic about Iraq or Afghanistan

The later issues aren’t that hard to find but you’re going to pay $10-$20 a book for them.  Specifically, anything past issue 75.  The difficult part of this run is finding them in super high grade.  

The biggest complaint I have with this series is that issues 30-51 where really hit and miss.  I only enjoy a handful of stories from that time period.  After the first Punisher appearance in issue 52 and 53 the story lines did get better in my opinion but I think they lost a lot of the earlier readers by this point.  It’s unfortunate because overall it was a great series.  

I have a full run myself and I’m also trying to complete a full 9.8 run.  The heart burn I have with that is dropping $80-100 on an issue that I know is pure cr@p just cause it’s a 9.8.

I hope they don’t write a comic series based on the GWOT.  Not now anyway.  I think The ‘Nam came out at great time (10 years after the war).  If they did I would want it to be a MAX run or by an independent company.  

Edited by Parabellum

On 8/12/2021 at 1:19 AM, MAR1979 said:

The first 12 months of The 'Nam book were something Special. Issue #7 I feel is one of the best comics of the decade and one of the better comic books issues ever written. Sadly it's mostly forgotten now.

The real time aspect while well intended does not work that great in a 17-25 page comic book format.  I really wish their idea had been to do say 4 issues per month in effect 1 book covers 1 week.  One of the reason i say that is it's not easy to create characters that resonate with the majority of readers, so when Ed Marks left after the first year the book was not the same to myself and many others.

Overall like many readers I dropped off the run after around the end of the 2nd year. It was no longer a book I looked forward to reading.. 

My copy of issue 1, that I picked up as a kid in 1986, was in my first CGC submission back in 2000. Having that exact copy in 9.8w inside an original 1st gen CGC slab to me personally as comics go is "priceless".

I agree on issue 7.  The Kit Carson scout Duong was awesome.  I also enjoyed issue 27 that covered the LRRP team.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, OtherEric said:

Not a series I have a lot of.  What I do have is a pedigree copy of the first appearance... from the John G. Fantucchio collection:

Savage Tales 2 01.jpg

That’s an awesome book!  Have a 9.8 white page copy but it’s not a pedigree.  I was happy to add it to my collection.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:57 AM, Otter1775 said:

I first picked up the series after watching Dan Rather on the CBS Evening News address the topic back in 1986. The snippet included interviewing people associated with the production of the storyline, etc. I was a Sophomore in high school when I started reading and collecting it. I eventually joined the US military right after graduation and 24 years of service later, I can say with confidence that this series definitely had an impact on me then and now.

Same! I also contribute the movie Predator to my career choice as well.