• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Nam
1 1

63 posts in this topic

For the most part comic gods are on my side but my luck this month with The Nam has been average.  I missed the eBay sale of the #52 in 9.8 by about ten minutes in between checks.  Kind of kicking myself for this, it's going to be tough one to track down.  My CGC submission for a #52 second print only came back a 9.6.  Even though it is the highest grade on the census I’m still a bit disappointed.  It was definitely a shoot.  It had, IMHO a 50/50 chance.  Hopefully I will have better luck with the #55 I sent in.  Rant over….

On 8/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, mec3437 said:

I was a kid when the series was really going on.  I do remember reading the issues my brother had and thought it was really cool.  Definitely much more gritty than the usual superhero fare I looked at when I was a kid.  I recently completed the #1-84 run with the intention to sit down and read the whole series.  I gained an interest when I found an old box of my dad's that contained his Purple Heart medal, and photos of him and his buddies in Vietnam.  He never really talked much about the bad stuff that happened there but he has been more open about some it after I went into the military.  From what I read over the years, it seems like a series that would be perfect for being adapted into a show although I think most of the series isn't in any demand.  It took some real effort to complete the run.

At the time 1987 there was Tour of Duty. Well done for the most part with great songtrack but the audience just not there.  

Perhaps as show on a streaming service? Wonder who owns the rights? Doug? Disney? Some other entity?

On 3/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, jdandns said:

Newly scanned, just incredible color on this newsstand edition, for some reason a lot brighter than the two direct market copies I have.

Golden IS golden!

nam1.jpg

I generally don't draw a distinction between newsstands and direct editions but that price box Marvel used for a period makes me love that newsstand edition.  I picked one up a year or so ago as well because of that.  

0711201709.jpg

On 3/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, mec3437 said:

I generally don't draw a distinction between newsstands and direct editions but that price box Marvel used for a period makes me love that newsstand edition.  I picked one up a year or so ago as well because of that.  

0711201709.jpg

666!  :devil:

21yv.gif

Screenshot_20220316-171406_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 3/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, jdandns said:

Last issue special:

IMG_20210228_0009.jpg

@jdandns thanks for posting #84, it brought back some forgotten memories of my youth.

I recall when the book was originally on-sale my local shop had only 5 pieces when I got there. All were in horrid shape. I asked how many had sold as I arrived a few hours later than usual that day, and was told "Zero, book has not sold in years" . I had dropped the book myself years earlier, but wanted the final issue. I checked my backup LCS they too only had 3 or 4 copies and all were mid grade at best, so I gave up.  Forgot about the book pretty much until your post. Found one recently and as much as prefer to purchase in person viewing a book first, I gave in a purchased via private auction.

If it makes my grade as best I can determine by viewing it through slab I'll post it here. If not I'll probably just sulk in silence...

Edited by MAR1979

IMHO a borderline 9.8 - perfect except for the top of the cover between the A and M where there is a non color breaking indention I do not like..  I've submitted nicer books that have only received 9.6 and i'm very strict.  

I do realize CGC grading standards and my own differ, this is why I try to avoid buying a book unless its in person. 

It's a low census pop final issue and its close enough so moving on.

@jdandns thanks again for posting your #84, it brought back some forgotten memories of my youth.

image.thumb.png.4ecdaa3197a4dd41d7f69babade12fd4.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/16/2022 at 7:54 AM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO a borderline 9.8 - perfect except for the top of the cover between the A and M.  I submitted nicer books that have only received 9.6 and i'm very strict.  

I do realize CGC grading standards and my own differ, this is why I try to avoid buying a book unless its in person. 

It's a low census pop final issue and its close enough so moving on.

@jdandns thanks again for posting your #84, it brought back some forgotten memories of my youth.

image.thumb.png.4ecdaa3197a4dd41d7f69babade12fd4.png

One of my favorite covers of the series.

Self-Submitted Nam #4 I purchased as child.  

I stupidly broke my self imposed submission ban due to poor QC at CGC to drop off a small pile at NYCC. Wish I had not made the exception as I've had to spend quite a while using plastx to remove or lighten scuffs on the slabs - not all were treatable and so sick&tired  having to do ME returns on every order I receive back. While CGC now ships with much thicker bags they don't help if the damage is done before the slabs are inserted. At least the grades in the order were nearly exactly as i predicted. Now to make my CGC submission ban zero-tolerance

Have liked green background on this cover since the first moment I saw the book.
NAM4.thumb.jpg.8726a184433abd5f715d3dcd1ac3ecbe.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/31/2022 at 2:48 PM, MAR1979 said:

Self-Submitted Nam #4 I purchased as child.  

I stupidly broke my self imposed submission ban due to poor QC at CGC to drop off a small pile at NYCC. Wish I had not made the exception as I've had to spend quite a while using plastx to remove or lighten scuffs on the slabs - not all were treatable and so sick&tired  having to do ME returns on every order I receive back. While CGC now ships with much thicker bags they don't help if the damage is done before the slabs are inserted. At least the grades in the order were nearly exactly as i predicted. Now to make my CGC submission ban zero-tolerance

Have liked green background on this cover since the first moment I saw the book.
NAM4.thumb.jpg.8726a184433abd5f715d3dcd1ac3ecbe.jpg

This was one of the first books I bought at a comic shop.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:56 AM, divad said:

I've always wondered about the difference in the price blocks in this time period on several titles - insight anyone?

Wondered what? The corner boxes changed a few times around this time. They used the M for the price block on their Direct editions through the end of their 25th anniversary, then changed it along with the Marvel logo when that was over.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:15 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Wondered what? The corner boxes changed a few times around this time. They used the M for the price block on their Direct editions through the end of their 25th anniversary, then changed it along with the Marvel logo when that was over.

Yep!

Then then the newsstand and direct sale blocks matched.

An apropos example for this thread:

NAM9.thumb.jpg.9a4c90b01735f375830ea791bacb8a04.jpg

On 11/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 11/1/2022 at 9:56 PM, divad said:

I've always wondered about the difference in the price blocks in this time period on several titles - insight anyone?

Yes, but I have issues of the same comic, the same date, and in both newsstand and direct editions with the different price blocks  . . . 'Splain that Luthee!

Sometimes you need to just dig a little deeper for the answer. :peace: