• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T'Challa vs. the Clan...great & controversial 70s covers

17 posts in this topic

So, you're a jaded Bronze Marvel collector and your collection seems unimprovable. X-Men # 94? Have it. Hulk # 181? Please. Amazing Spider-Man # 129? Picked it up for $5 way back when (and still chuckling over the stupid money newbies are willing to pay for a copy). So, if you need some really cool 70s Marvels to add to your collection, I submit these two beauties for your consideration...

1079856377693_Jungle19.JPG

1079393419408_Jungle21.JPG

Great action covers of the Black Panther battling the Clan. I wonder if # 21 would be controversial by contemporary societal standards? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great series, that. A bit overwritten at times, but well worth a read, and very cheap compared to just about any other Marvel B.A. As for these covers being controversial and not possible today, yeah, these were a sign of the times, like blaxploitation movies. But there is only minor stereotyping of the black characters.

Thanks for sharing. I never even saw or heard of those books. blush.gif(I knew about the series just not the specifics of the covers.) The 21 is definitly a sweet cover. I personally think I probably like the art that came out of the Bronze age the best. There are some great covers on some very obscure books that are still well under a Jackson.

I have never picked up this series, never really been a big fan of the Black Panther outside of the FF. Never really thought he was a strong enough character to hold his own in a solo book. confused-smiley-013.gif