• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber paper anyone....

14 posts in this topic

linky

I get the 8 x 14s and cut them in half, because I am cheap.

I do this same thing. I purchased 2 packs to save shipping.

Me too - the Fed Ex shipping is expensive, but ordering two packs, and cutting them yourself saves a wad of greenbacks.

Hi Folks,

Somewhat new here, although I've been lurking for some time.

I need to order some microchamber paper........any recommendations on who to order from?

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from comicsupply.com.

Hi Folks,

Somewhat new here, although I've been lurking for some time.

I need to order some microchamber paper........any recommendations on who to order from?

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from comicsupply.com.

puzzy :baiting:

linky

I get the 8 x 14s and cut them in half, because I am cheap.

Let me preface this with somewhat of a disclaimer. I am somewhat biased in this because I sell precut microchamber. I have sold some on the boards, but I have always assumed the majority of boardies buy the 8-1/2" x 11" direct and cut them to the appropriate size. For those that don't want to go to the hassle, we do the work for them.

I also know that several people cut the 8 x 14 in half, but it seems to be an odd contradiction to me, especially when there is such a disparity between the values of uber grades and average graded books. If you are going to go to the expense to provide microchamber on your books, why wouldn't you get sheets that are basically the size of the books you want to protect? That way they won't stick out the edges and will provide the most coverage possible. If $ is the issue, limit the number of books you protect by their value, or their potential.

Additionally, the 8" x 7" is going to stick out the sides of most books except for Golden Age, Mags or Treasuries and you will have to trim them again. In the case of Golden age these are the books that will benefit the most from full size sheets of microchamber paper as the older the book in general, the more acidic. Mags and Treasuries are tall enough that you are leaving a significant area unprotected. Although I feel that 2-1/4 inches in height is significant itself on even normal size comics. Keep in mind that often the paper will not remain centered in the book. It is going to fall to the bottom and leave 2" at the top of the book exposed.

I have a paper cutter. I don't cut it in half - that was an example - I about an inch or two out of the center.

The presence of the micro-chamber paper is enough. If you wanted full coverage, then you'd have to put a sheet between each page of the book.

I have a paper cutter. I don't cut it in half - that was an example - I about an inch or two out of the center.

The presence of the micro-chamber paper is enough. If you wanted full coverage, then you'd have to put a sheet between each page of the book.

If the "presence is enough" why don't you just use that inch or two wide strip in each book. That way you could get 7-14 strips out of the 14" wide paper instead of just two.

If "the presence is enough" was the case, CGC would not have several different sizes for different size books. They would just use one size for them all. Much simpler, far less stock, less storage space in the assembly area, and easier/cheaper to implement.

The most important thing to protect is the cover from the pulp, thus the reason for using 2 pieces minimum per book. However, many collectors use multiple pieces per book. As long as you are not adding mechanical stress to the book/staple area by stuffing it, it should be no problem. A third piece is often used in the centerfold and a couple people have told me they use 5 pieces in their off-white or white page books in order to keep them that way.

If the "presence is enough" why don't you just use that inch or two wide strip in each book. That way you could get 7-14 strips out of the 14" wide paper instead of just two.

If "the presence is enough" was the case, CGC would not have several different sizes for different size books. They would just use one size for them all. Much simpler, far less stock, less storage space in the assembly area, and easier/cheaper to implement.

The most important thing to protect is the cover from the pulp, thus the reason for using 2 pieces minimum per book. However, many collectors use multiple pieces per book. As long as you are not adding mechanical stress to the book/staple area by stuffing it, it should be no problem. A third piece is often used in the centerfold and a couple people have told me they use 5 pieces in their off-white or white page books in order to keep them that way.

CGC doesn't use full page covering pieces either, so I don't get that comparison. In my opinion, PQ is strictly related to storage conditions, which are ideal where I live. Microchamber paper is just a little extra insurance.

Like you said, you sell the stuff, so nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise. I'm suggesting economical alternatives to other cheap-@sses on the boards.