• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie 1 and being robbed for $1500

125 posts in this topic

Well, I always hate the sorry tales of being robbed that take up space on the boards but they do help avoid the theives that are out there.

So the Archie 1 coverless shows up on comiclink and I learn through ebay who actually owns it. So in trying to agree on a price and save on the fees we agree at a price of $1500. He's got some decent sales on ebay and postive feedback and also says he's a board member here. So I send a check and then the obfuscation begins. "Well comic link has the book and they won't let me have it back... etc etc." This is all through ebay PM.

BTW the owners name is Holden Wong.

So I start to get nervous and call comiclink to try to confirm that Holden does own the book and understandibly they wont' give out that information. Finally after about 10 phone calls and messages he actually answers and says that because of my call I need to go through comiclink now. OK, I say, why don't you send the $1500 back and I'll think about it.

Of course no check is returned and no phone calls answered. But it is still listed on comiclink. So I send him a PM (already he has stopped replying to me) and agree that I'll pay the $1670 to comiclink for the book as long as we can work out an agreement on payment. No response. BTW, all the overpriced bids on this book are mine.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Darchie%2B1%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=860819

So that's pretty much it. As of now I'm out the money. And given that he lives in Montreal it would be tough to retrieve in a legal way. I am willing to accept the possibility this all some big misunderstanding that the check got lost or that his phone was disconnected or that he was out of town in deep Africa for 2 months. As long as I get my money back or the book I'll be happy.

If anyone is from the Montreal area can help or is willing to please let me know. I have all the PM's from ebay and a copy of the MO I sent.

Here is his information, not for the purposes of hassling him, but if you can attempt to help here it is.

Holden Wong

xxxxxx

Here's an old address that where he said he moved

Holden Wong

xxxxx

Ebay ID: mtlhockeyfan514 (386)

Here's a simple public search for him, though it's possible there are two Holden Wongs and this isn't him.

http://www.classmates.com/directory/public/memberprofile/list.htm?regId=8682959974

Well, that sucks.

One option you might have is to have him to agree to send you the book from Comiclink if you give Comiclink their 10% cut. Just corroborate the story with Comiclink before you send any more money.

This way Comiclink would act as an Escrow service, which is what a consignment site in it's most basic form really is anyway.

Well this guy on Ebay, won an auction from me about 3 months ago for a Pep # 26 for around $1,000. He wanted me to send the book to him first. I told him I wouldnt do that and he was getting upset. I was about to file a non paying complaint with Ebay when he sent payment about 2 weeks later. ( An e-check which took another week to clear). At that time I was working on a deal to sell him a very brittle and torn up copy of a Pep # 22 that my friend owned and I talked to him on the phone and he sounded like a very nice guy. Was even willing to fly to NY to get the book. My friend sent the book and he said he never got it. He even sent my friend a $500 deposit for my friend to send the book. As per the USPS book got held up in customs. My friend got the book back and he got his deposit back. But he told me his name was Jason! :o

Yeah, it all started out on the up and up and then got flakey to the point of obvious theft.

It was a money order I sent so no chance to cancel the check.

I work at the bank so they'll help me track it down - at least the paperwork part.

I'm not overly pissed about it where I'm going to drive to Canada tomorrow, but just like the have things made right all around. I'm sure the guy has a sense of entitlement or simply lacks money and now can't pay it back.

I don't know his CGC ID name, oversight on my part.

Weird part is he does seem a serious collector of sorts but so are a lot of fraudsters.

Kind of a shame not to be able to marry up the Archie 1 too. It's not the books fault though.

They are in a tight spot. Not only might they not want to get between this issue for a non comiclink buy, but they can't really disclose who owns the book. But I will try again with them and then let them decide what to do if anything.

Ed

They are in a tight spot. Not only might they not want to get between this issue for a non comiclink buy, but they can't really disclose who owns the book. But I will try again with them and then let them decide what to do if anything.

Ed

I wonder if the law is involved if Comiclink may be able to co-operate without worrying about privacy or trust implications.

If this were in General, I am sure they'd have had plenty of fun with it, but I am shocked that his name would really be "Holden Wong." :whistle:

lol

I didn't notice that until then. Yeah, seems like a obvious fake but then agan...maybe not.

I hate hearing stories like this. I hope it works out.