• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pedigree - Suscha News

231 posts in this topic

I have to ask, is it pronounced ˈsuka? hm

As in..."if you buy comics from this Pedigree you are a suka?"

Why would buying books from the collection make you a sucker? There are some nice books in it. Setting GPA highs may not be the most prudent thing to do, but that's up to the buyer

It's called a joke. :makepoint: Jeez...are you planning on commenting on everything I post?

Only when you say stupid sheet, which is most of the time (thumbs u

There is always the ignore feature should you choose to accept it. :wishluck:

Yea, its in total shock. But I do love Metro. Did you know they created the ten point grading system we all use? Unfortunately it may be a bit too technical for the employees of the company.

I like pretty books!!! :insane:

A quick search of metro's site leaves me unimpressed, though... not very high grade books...

where is tim? this "pedigree" demands his scorn and condemnation. based on what i've seen it certainly ranks among the worst. that avengers #13 is sweet tho.

I believe he already expressed bolded opinion in this thread.

thanks. missed that.

Learn to use the search function, biotch.

:baiting:

luckily for them your opinion doesnt count John.

Plus no garbage 9.8's either if I was running the show Pat. :hi:

I can see you running High Grade Comics after Bob moves on to something else...and the future is not bright.

:baiting:

Yea, its in total shock. But I do love Metro. Did you know they created the ten point grading system we all use? Unfortunately it may be a bit too technical for the employees of the company.

That's not entirely true.

I believe Fishler created the scale but not the grading standards.

Shaddup Roy..

(thumbs u

I know when to shaddup. I mean, you don't have to tell me twice. Certainly not 3 times. If you had to tell me 3 times, heck I'd smack myself. No sirree, nobody has to tell me to be quiet more than once. In fact if you have to tell me to be quiet more than once I'd be happy to remove myself from the situation voluntarily. When I say voluntarily, I mean you wouldn't have to tell me to remove myself a second time. Nope. Just once. Like when you drop something and it falls down. It only falls down once. Doesn't go up again unless you lift it up. It's gravity you know? Gravity makes things fall down, and they continue to fall until the stop. They stop when they are stopped by something else. That something else offers a resistant and equally opposing force (or possibly more, all depends on what it's falling on) but any way, if we were to pretend that I was falling down on you and you were the opposing force (not that I would enjoy that but it could happen, you're from Philly, right?) and then which one of us would cause the other one to stop? That's easy. I'd stop myself before I hit you. In fact, it's one of those things I don't even need to think about. I'd just stop before someone told me to stop. That's why I can stop talking any time I want to you. Right? Am I right?

I didn't ask for any more details about the collection but Vincent told me it was pretty amazing when compared to the Oaklands.

Oaklands are great books, but they didn't deserve to be a pedigree either.

I didn't ask for any more details about the collection but Vincent told me it was pretty amazing when compared to the Oaklands.

The timing was right for the Oaklands. They were marketed just before CGC started

so CGC probably saw a lot of submissions. Vinny kept good records and certs were distributed with the books (stickers on the mylar). They were all Original Owner, provenance was easy to prove, it just all worked out.

A pedigree collection should be original owner and CGC should be presented with a Master list to verify when books are graded. Without a list the "conspiracy" theory starts that books are being added. And frankly regardless of the submitter I would insist on a Master list.

I was working for Vincent at the time and was one of the original graders of the Oaklands. Both Mike and Vinny went to buy the collection, the three of us sat around and graded it. It was a very very nice post 66 collection of books.

Pre CGC a pedigree was bestowed by the dealer who found the collection. My opinion is that until CGC came around there were a lot more "Named collections" than pedigrees. Doug named most of the books he bought. Smokey closet, back seat collection. He came up with some of the best names in order to hype, I mean sell a book.

The Diamond Run lost it's pedigree status because the owner did not provide CGC with a master list. When Golden Age Detectives came back restored Mark Haspel pulled the Pedigree status unless the owner provided a Master list. Even though thousands had already been graded by CGC. The current seller of the Diamond run states that every Golden Age pedigree could have books not purchased by the original owner. That god forbid kids actually traded books. The Detectives were traded to Tom Fagan. Since Tom sadly passed away it's pretty hard to confirm original owner versus "traded for" Diamond Runs.

The Overstreet collection (Golden Age as well as Silver Age) was basically a "Assembled" Collection. At that time Steve Borock wasn't whoring out the CGC label (Milehighcomics.com) for collection notations. To me assembled collections should not be pedigrees. I still agree with Joe Vernault who wrote a very early article in CBM that there should not be a lot of Silver Age pedigrees.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info, Bob!

I was shown the entire Silver Age Overstreet collection at Diamond Galleries.

Most of Bob's Early keys were not high grade, his newstand stuff started generally after the 1st ten issues of a title. I bought almost all of the high grade FF's from the Overstreet collection, the FF #12 9.4 and FF #13 9.4 that I owned were Bob's off the newstand copies. They were the highest graded copies for years. I went back 3-4 times and bought books out of this collection until Steve Geppi shutdown the selling of books from this collection. I didn't even look at the late silver stuff that much because frankly I didn't think paying 3X guide was worth it on stuff I considered common.

Everything you picked out you had to grade yourself, everything was 3X guide back then, no discount. Didn't matter if it was a 9.2 or a 9.6. FF #12 was $550 in 9.2 guide back then, when I paid 3X guide the Overstreet price guide on that issue doubled the next year. In hindsight I still like Bob's FF's from that collection even though they have now been dispersed. He also had nice runs of Spidey's but I wasn't a collector back then. I did buy the AS #5 which was a 9.2 back then, the #17, #21 and #26. I bought the Avengers #25, #34. I bought the FF #12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 27, 28, 31, 32, 35, 36-39, 41, 42, 45, 52, 55, 65, 76, 79 and the Hulk #3.

While it would have been nice to note Bob Overstreet collection on the CGC label I feel that a majority of Bob's books were purchased 2nd hand.

Bob

More good stuff! You're a veritable fountain of knowledge, Mr. Storm!

A quick search of metro's site leaves me unimpressed, though... not very high grade books...

where is tim? this "pedigree" demands his scorn and condemnation. based on what i've seen it certainly ranks among the worst. that avengers #13 is sweet tho.

I'm in Manila for a long weekend with the boys and feeling entirely too hung over and mellow to heap scorn and condemnation on anything.

Anyways, I think others have said it well already.

I believe he already expressed bolded opinion in this thread.

Damn I've become predictable.

The timing was right for the Oaklands. They were marketed just before CGC started

so CGC probably saw a lot of submissions. Vinny kept good records and certs were distributed with the books (stickers on the mylar). They were all Original Owner, provenance was easy to prove, it just all worked out.

Yep.

That I am.

I was fortunate to be visting Vinny when the entire Spokane collection was on a table. I got to look at the whole thing, all in one piece. Amazing collection when viewed all at once. I also got to see the Northford collection all in one piece. While the page quality was not as spectacular as the Spokane's you still have to be amazed at how cool pre code horror collections are when viewed all at once.

I was in Chicago when the Northlands were unveiled to the buying public. I got to look very early in the show because I was buying for Tommy B. who couldn't be at the show. Another collection where 3X guide was the norm.

I have seen the Winnipeg's when they first came to market as well as the Golden States from Showcase New England.

I even saw the first batch of Boston's that Bechara sold to Doug. Barton and I got to look at the long box which frankly to this day was probably the best of the bostons. Imagine being told by Bechara that he has some high grade, you wait at the table and then get told you can only look at the book because Doug bought them all. We WERE not a happy pair that day.