• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you do this when you dollar box dive?

29 posts in this topic

One of my LCS has a interesting view of it. If its worth around $6 or less he puts it in the $1 bin. He has 1000s of them. He doesnt care. He pays $.10 per book and then makes his profit from buying bulk everyone is happy.

He is sick of Superman, Batman, and Robin. Those titles he gets TONS of. Nice there here lately is buyers are picking up Batman again so he has been able to move around 500-700 Batman's lately.

What he never has alot of is interesting. Invincible under 20, Walking Dead under 50, No Birds of Prey, Iron Man under 200, ASM 380-430, Battle Chasers, Green Lantern(almost nothing) and such.

Are you saying that the boxes are clearly marked $1, but the owner has the option to say, "No, that one isn't $1, it costs more..."

If so, that's a textbook example of bait-and-switch. Not just rude, but also illegal.

it isn't necessarily a bait and switch or illegal because people could have been taking books from elsewhere in the store and sticking them in the dollar box unknown to the store owner (it happens ALL the time at stores and at shows). so if someone grabs a JIM 84 off the wall and sticks it in the dollar box he's legally obligated to sell it to me for $1? i don't think so. as it is he only took one book out and that book was probably only worth $1 anyway (though he thought it was more...) obviously if it's more a situation of "oh, so you like these books? well, they're not a dollar anymore!" then he can go F-himself.

but yeah, i guess i mix in other stuff to make the potential removal of better stuff a bit less likely (because other sales would be killed when i walked out the door cursing him out) and also, i don't want to draw attention to what i am buying in the event there's more in storage (which is often the case) that may be put out on the cheap.

One of my LCS has a interesting view of it. If its worth around $6 or less he puts it in the $1 bin. He has 1000s of them. He doesnt care. He pays $.10 per book and then makes his profit from buying bulk everyone is happy.

I always thought a store could do just fine with this system. This is pretty much the kind of store I wish I could find.

Are you saying that the boxes are clearly marked $1, but the owner has the option to say, "No, that one isn't $1, it costs more..."

If so, that's a textbook example of bait-and-switch. Not just rude, but also illegal.

it isn't necessarily a bait and switch or illegal because people could have been taking books from elsewhere in the store and sticking them in the dollar box unknown to the store owner (it happens ALL the time at stores and at shows). so if someone grabs a JIM 84 off the wall and sticks it in the dollar box he's legally obligated to sell it to me for $1? i don't think so. as it is he only took one book out and that book was probably only worth $1 anyway (though he thought it was more...) obviously if it's more a situation of "oh, so you like these books? well, they're not a dollar anymore!" then he can go F-himself.

but yeah, i guess i mix in other stuff to make the potential removal of better stuff a bit less likely (because other sales would be killed when i walked out the door cursing him out) and also, i don't want to draw attention to what i am buying in the event there's more in storage (which is often the case) that may be put out on the cheap.

I think an easy way to put an end to that or at least reduce it is put a little colored sticker on the bags of dollar comics.

I think an easy way to put an end to that or at least reduce it is put a little colored sticker on the bags of dollar comics.

---------

you'd be surprised at what kinds of switcheroos people try to pull

Yeah I figured the stickers and possibly the entire bags could be switched if someone were slick and had enough time to himself.

---------

Yeah I figured the stickers and possibly the entire bags could be switched if someone were slick and had enough time to himself.

Stickers are common but yeah, could be swapped here and there without too much trouble. Most often I've seen dealers use a marker on the bag - sometimes on the top and less frequently on the bottom. Also a notation on the back of the backing board is another option I've seen

---------

Half Price Bookstore just puts the $0.25 price sticker right on the comic. Not the bag, but the actual comic. I've gotten quite a few comics from them for $0.25 this way that were absolutely worth it for the reading value and even some that were worth it for the collectible value.

I wish I had a Half Price Books out here. The used bookstores out here don't have comics. Only twice have I seen comics in a thrift store. Once I bought them both (there were only two), and the other time I bought about 80 but should have bought more.