• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Dave Sim's signature?

54 posts in this topic

I got a bunch of Cerebus comics at MegaCon a week ago.

Most I spent on them were 50 cents to a dollar each.

So anyway I was reading my copy of Cerebus #24 today

and found this signed inside:

autograph.jpg

Am I right to assume that some guy named

Bobby who had something going on in

Tampa got this comic signed by Dave Sim?

If this is Dave Sim's signature,

I'm thinking it is a real signature and not a fake,

because it is a personalised signature to

some guy named Bobby.

If it is a real signature and I'm hoping from

the above scan you'll be able to tell,

it'll make me really happy.

Cause even though the signature isnt to me,

it is signed by the creator of the series and that's

pretty cool considering i got it only for a dollar. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks good to me. I'm no signature authentication expert, but I've had Sim signatures, and that is indeed what they look like. thumbsup2.gif

Wow, makes me wanna do some detetective work and find out who bobby was and what the heck was going down in Tampa.

This is so awesome.

So with Dave Sim's signature in this book,

though personalised...

do you think i got a good deal by only paying a dollar for this issue?

I think i sure as hell did. I may be new to Cerebus and I kick myself

for never picking up an issue in the 15 years I've been collecting,

but what i have read in the shirt amount of time that i have been reading

is really great.

I am very happy to perhaps have a signature from the man himself.

lol I should look at the other Cerebus issues i got from the same booth more carefully maybe there are more in there signed.

I'm currious why Dave Sim wouldn't sign the front cover....why would he choose to sign this comic a few pages into the story on a margin?

do you think i got a good deal by only paying a dollar for this issue?

Yes. You're definitely not going to get rich off this book, and Sim signatures aren't rare, but for a dollar, who's going to complain?

lol I should look at the other Cerebus issues i got from the same booth more carefully maybe there are more in there signed.

You should! I once bought copies of #2 and #3 that I didn't realize were signed. In fact, they were signed in light black pen on the inside front cover underneath his personal messages... looked like a printed signature until I took a better look.

I'm currious why Dave Sim wouldn't sign the front cover....why would he choose to sign this comic a few pages into the story on a margin?

Maybe it was "Bobby's" favorite page in the book? insane.gif

Sim always signs on the inside of the book.

Either inside front cover or on page 1.

I've never seen a Sim sig on the cover.

Sim always signs on the inside of the book.

Either inside front cover or on page 1.

I've never seen a Sim sig on the cover.

That's pretty weird. Whenever i get a comic signed,

I want it on the cover so I can look at it

without taking the fragile comic out of the bag smile.gif

My Sim autograph is on page 4 or 5 of issue #24.

I wish I knew the history of why that particular page,

who was Bobby, what was going on in Tampa,

and where and when this isuee was signed.

And most of all why Bobby got rid of this comic.

I hope Bobby is okay frown.gif893whatthe.gif

Dave has always signed interior pages.

That is definitely his signature. I got to see it done over 2000 times yesterday when Paul Litch, Peter Dixon from Paradise and I went to Kitchener to see Dave do the signed and numbered #300 and "Dave Sim File Copy" books.

With the pedigree and signature series books he (and Gerhard for issues 65+) signed on the front covers.He certainly has some beautiful, pristine books in his files!

Kev

That is definitely his signature. I got to see it done over 2000 times yesterday when Paul Litch, Peter Dixon from Paradise and I went to Kitchener to see Dave do the signed and numbered #300 and "Dave Sim File Copy" books.

With the pedigree and signature series books he (and Gerhard for issues 65+) signed on the front covers.He certainly has some beautiful, pristine books in his files!

Kev

Lucky smile.gif

Is Dave Sim a cool guy?

I'm so glad this is a real signature

"Bobby" whoever he is, is my new hero.

Dave was great! We had a fantastic time and got a chance to have dinner with him on Friday night and again last night (after 12 hours of signing books!). Dave loves comics and, having been a collector, a fanboy and a former comic store employee, he understands and respects the collecting of comics and loves talking about them.

He was so definitely NOT the guy that everyone paints him out to be. He's very easy-going and excited by the idea of living life on his own clock instead of constantly trying to meet deadlines. He was a blast to hang out with.

The A-V offices were a real treat to visit. I had to keep holding in the drool as I got a chance to see up close the original covers to issues 6, 8, 9 and the following phone book covers (which were huge!): Cerebus, High Society, Church and State Volumes 1 and 2 and Sienkiewicz' original cover to Cerebus Jam #1.

Gerhard has officially challenged Andy Lee in my mind for the position of "nicest guy working in comics".

Kev

Dave was great! We had a fantastic time and got a chance to have dinner with him on Friday night and again last night (after 12 hours of signing books!). Dave loves comics and, having been a collector, a fanboy and a former comic store employee, he understands and respects the collecting of comics and loves talking about them.

He was so definitely NOT the guy that everyone paints him out to be. He's very easy-going and excited by the idea of living life on his own clock instead of constantly trying to meet deadlines. He was a blast to hang out with.

The A-V offices were a real treat to visit. I had to keep holding in the drool as I got a chance to see up close the original covers to issues 6, 8, 9 and the following phone book covers (which were huge!): Cerebus, High Society, Church and State Volumes 1 and 2 and Sienkiewicz' original cover to Cerebus Jam #1.

Gerhard has officially challenged Andy Lee in my mind for the position of "nicest guy working in comics".

Kev

Again I must say:

"LUCKY!!!"

It's good to know Dave Sim isn't what a lot of people try to make him out to be

One day I hope to own first prints of 1-300 of Cerebus cause even though I'm new to his work, what I have read in quite a small bit of time has impressed me greatly.

Kev

How do the file copies of #1 look? Are they NM candidates?

Also, how does Gerhard's relationship with Dave seem now? I met them in Nottingham UK in 93, and they appeared to be great buddies. However, I've heard that Gerhard effectively walked out at some stage recently, and even issue 300 indicates that "Gerhard's interest in all this peaked around 5 years ago". Any insight on that?

Oh, the signature on #24 looks genuine BTW - unlike the example that was given in the last #1 that sold on ebay.

Oh, the signature on #24 looks genuine BTW - unlike the example that was given in the last #1 that sold on ebay.

I'm so glad so many people are authenticating this signature as real.

It was a great surprise, and I am glad it is the real deal.

You don't know how happy this signature makes me even though it was

signed to some guy named "Bobby".

Kind of wish my name was Bobby now.

Anyone seen or read Stephen King's NeedFull things?

I would of been freaked out if I had turn to the page and it actually had been

signed to me.

27_laughing.gifcloud9.gif

Gerhard and Dave seemed very friendly. He was a real trooper at the signing and said he's looking forward to having the time off and planned to spend as much time on his boat as he can when the weather gets nicer.

Let me just say this about the #1's in the file copies. Right now the highest graded Cerebus 1 in existence is a 7.5. That's going to change REAL soon, there were some very solid copies, and I hesitate to predict what the highest graded copy will get, but we are VERY optimistic that there will be a lot of interest generated for this KEY bronze age comic. These books will definitely raise the bar.

If we can get one done this week there will be one of the high grade #1's and one of the signed and numbered #300's on display at the CGC booth in LA next weekend along with pictures of the event.

What until you see the pictures that Paul and Gerhard took of the signing and the #1's. I've never seen so many copies in one place.

Kev

who was Bobby, what was going on in Tampa,

and where and when this isuee was signed.

And most of all why Bobby got rid of this comic.

Bobby was getting ready to go to Mons Venus naturally.

And now that it's not quite the place it used to be,

he was so disappointed he got rid of the book where his

best friend wished him luck at his favorite spot in Tampa.

SO Dave kept his own variation on the Gaines copies? cool. How many #1s were there? And did he talk about how 400 of the print run were returned to the printer cause they arrived at Harry's house too mangled to sell? I always wanted to confirm that story. Glad Dave was fun to be with.

I was lucky enough to pop into Paradise Comics yesterday and saw them myself. They asked me to leave because I was drooling so much. blush.gif

Seriouslly though, there were some really nice copies. And it was nice to see Mr. Litch there (hope you had a safe trip home Paul).

Should be interesting to see what grades some of these come back as... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually - he did clarify a couple of things.

On average there were 20 copies of each issue in the files - some he had only 18 or 19 of, others 21, 22, or 23 copies. Most were in NM, with some exceptions.

There were 10 Number ones in the files (he had to give 10 to Deni when they divorced). But Dave had also accumulated a bunch of lower grade copies over the years - I think there were about 10+ additional copies. Those are not considered a part of the File Copies.

Re: the print count of number 1 was 2000 copies.

Dave said he has no idea where the 400 damaged copy rumour began, but it isn't true (as far as he knows). There is the possibility that Harry Kremer may have received 400 damaged copies, or they were damaged at his store at a later date (if so Harry didn't tell him).

Dave said that he had all 2000 in his living room at one time before they started to get purchased in lots by distributers. One of the distributers, maybe Seuling? did have copies that got banged up in shipping but sold them anyway.

However, it is true that there was an overprint of #2. When you order a specific number from a printer (like 2000 copies), you don't always get that number, sometimes you get less (rarely though), but occasionally you get more than that - he thinks that there were about 400-500 additional copies of #2. He picked up his 2000 copies and got a call a few months later asking him to pick up the additional copies of #2 that were hanging around at the printer. Since they were nearly sold out at the time it was a very pleasant surprise.

Kev

thanx Kev. The story I was told also included the extra 400 of #2. But it was a printer concession for the mangled #1s. ALso , this story was told first hand BY Harry Kremer. He said they were in the living room (I thought it was Harrys house because he was sub-distributor or something higher than just retailer customer. (Dave and he had partnered in Octoberfest the year earlier.) ANyway, nice to hear Daves recollection of th eevents in question.

SO these file copies will be sold? in an auction, or what. Have they decided yet?