• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

Thanks, all. And thanks, telerites, for another good example.

I purposely avoided including personal opinions in my lead-off post. However, at this point, I’d like to say that I was quite surprised by many of the things I saw. Here are some examples of Blue Label books with a detached centerfold (the Aquaman #46), a blown staple, or a completely detached cover:

th_B2-1.jpg th_B2-2.jpg th_B2-3.jpg th_B2-4.jpg

th_B2-5.jpg th_B2-6.jpg th_B2-7.jpg th_B2-8.jpg th_B2-9.jpg th_B2-10.jpg

According to these examples, a pristine book with a detached centerfold can receive a Universal Grade as high as 9.4, a lightly worn book with a blown staple can grade as high as 9.0 to 9.4, and a book with a completely detached cover can grade as high as 4.0. WTF? In my world, a book that's essentially flawless aside from a blown staple has always been a FN/VF. No wonder I have so many repeat buyers!

doh!

The Superman #172 and Aquaman #46 books above should be a QUALIFIED 9.2 and 9.4, respectively.

The key visual being that the defects on the label are described in ALL CAPS, which is only for Qualified defects.

I have seen other books where the label color was wrong but the census had it correct. From the Superman 172, though, the label is blue and the census lookup shows that in fact it was graded as universal.

SU172.jpg

Thanks, all. And thanks, telerites, for another good example.

I purposely avoided including personal opinions in my lead-off post. However, at this point, I’d like to say that I was quite surprised by many of the things I saw. Here are some examples of Blue Label books with a detached centerfold (the Aquaman #46), a blown staple, or a completely detached cover:

th_B2-1.jpg th_B2-2.jpg th_B2-3.jpg th_B2-4.jpg

th_B2-5.jpg th_B2-6.jpg th_B2-7.jpg th_B2-8.jpg th_B2-9.jpg th_B2-10.jpg

According to these examples, a pristine book with a detached centerfold can receive a Universal Grade as high as 9.4, a lightly worn book with a blown staple can grade as high as 9.0 to 9.4, and a book with a completely detached cover can grade as high as 4.0. WTF? In my world, a book that's essentially flawless aside from a blown staple has always been a FN/VF. No wonder I have so many repeat buyers!

doh!

The Superman #172 and Aquaman #46 books above should be a QUALIFIED 9.2 and 9.4, respectively.

The key visual being that the defects on the label are described in ALL CAPS, which is only for Qualified defects.

I have seen other books where the label color was wrong but the census had it correct. From the Superman 172, though, the label is blue and the census lookup shows that in fact it was graded as universal.

SU172.jpg

So then it is a mistake on the label and the census? Surely no book could grade a 9.2 with a cover detached at one staple, right?

Nice thread zzutak, what a terrific resource with no hint of any agenda or bias.

It should be stickied imho, as it could be the gathering place for all things Qualified.

(thumbs u

Thanks, Ze-man. This has always been my favorite forum. I'm not sure this thread is on par with the incredibly educational Comic Production Flaws and How to Spot Restoration threads, but I certainly appreciate the kind thought.

(worship)

I had to laugh at myself as I went 3 pages deep looking for this thread, only to see it was stickied to the top of the first. doh!

Congrats, your thread is a piece of individual work that's quite worthy. :golfclap:

Hey Jay :hi:

Fantastic research and thread! :headbang:

I just recently sent in an ST 107 with centerfold completely detached and it came back blue label 5.0 no label comments...I'm gonna call for the notes this week and report back...

ST107CGC50.jpg

COMMENTARY

Edited by trmoore54

Hey Jay :hi:

Fantastic research and thread! :headbang:

I just recently sent in an ST 107 with centerfold completely detached and it came back blue label 5.0 no label comments...I'm gonna call for the notes this week and report back...

ST107CGC50.jpg

COMMENTARY

Based on the Thrilling Comics $42 posted earlier, I would think this book should have a note on the label stating "Centerfold Detached". (shrug)

That Savage Tales 1 CGC Q 9.8 is just stunning!

Green Label or not, I'd cherish that book.

I was thinking the same thing, it's a real shame CGC decided to give it a green label because it has a unverified sig.

Can't you still get Blue Label for unverified sigs but the signature is just counted as a defect against the grade instead?

Edited by bogglekng

That Savage Tales 1 CGC Q 9.8 is just stunning!

Green Label or not, I'd cherish that book.

I was thinking the same thing, it's a real shame CGC decided to give it a green label because it has a unverified sig.

Can't you still get Blue Label for unverified sigs but the signature is just counted as a defect against the grade instead?

It happens, but I'm not sure what the qualifications are. I've seen CGC 9.8 Blue labels with interior sigs.