• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats a good read on the shelves today?

35 posts in this topic

Wizard Magazine!

CBG

Ultimate Spider-Man

Alias (MAX)

Ultimates

Daredevil - Bendis issues 26 on

Hulk - Bruce Jones issues 34 on

Top Cow Books - great art only, Only decent TC to read: Rising Stars by Straczynski

Tomb Raider, Fathom and Witchblade are in decline

Marvel TPBs - the bigger the compilation the better buy it is

Sorry to bump this up again, just wanted to say that I was just catching up on some Modern reading (books released in past two weeks) and remembered this thread.

I have changed some of my picks lately.

Alias still continues to be a great read. Jessica Jones latest tryst with Ant-Man, her run-in with J. Jonah Jameson again is classic and this current storyline with the current (?) Spider-Woman acting all strung out on crack, and Madame Web returns to the scene, - can't wait to see what horrible thoughts lay hidden deep within the mind of Ms. Jones...

Automatic Kafka - picked it up to check out but I'm not getting into the story or art frown.gif I currently have 2 sets NM/MT if anyone is interested, or I'll put it out on eBay - $3 cover price for each issue; but I'll sell entire set 1-6 at $15 with shipping

Darkness vol 2 # 1 - (Top Cow) - not much of a transition from Jackie's death thru the pathetic Inferno Hellbound and Universe series to this reincarnation - lots of action to give the artist a chance to show he's still got it, but story was dragging...Jackie is looking to esxact revenge on current head of his Mafia family...ho hum...

same goes for Tomb Raider, Witchblade - I'm dropping Top Cow titles this month. Except for the varinat covers, they don't really have too much else going on. frown.gif

After this week, Rising Stars maybe the only Top Cow book to survive my cuts...

Incredible Hulk - Bruce Jones still kicking @$$ here. all building up to the reintroduction of the Abomination, who can be related to the Hulk as Luthor is to Superman..I am dying to see how this is drawn - seemed inp Previews to be similar to Jim Lee's Killer Croc...anyway...can't wait for this...until then issue 48 will hold us over tomorrow.

New X-men - a mish mosh of tangled storylines - is Phoenix coming back, what of Cassandra Nova and Cassandra and the Shi'ar high guard, is Beast gay or just playing Devil's advocate, blah blah blah - mutant soap opera..we are all just waiting for Scott to get it on with the Ice Queen and trigger Jean's fury and the Phoenix power along with it...do it already before we all fall asleep out here. Pacing is just bad for me, IMO.... I don't understand how the recent CBG report on the Mid Ohio con says that Nex Xmen are selling well...why? Do you guys see something I'm not? New artist? New writer? NO... X-Men 2 pre movie hype...hmmmmmm confused.gif

Shang Chi MOKF - Marvel MAX storyline? Why? I haven't even got a chance to read it. I have em all just sitting there. Can't seem to get into it. Maybe after I watch Jackie Chan and Jennifer Love Hewitt in the Tuxedo tongue.gif I'll get into a martial arts kinda mood... not since Kung Pow: Enter the fist have I been moved in such a manner... tongue.gif

soldier x, agent x, weapon x - retitles - dropping them this week - just horrible. Udon's Manga doesn't do it for me on these titles tongue.gif

Spider-man Blue - keep it coming....

Ultimate line - shining star - will pick up multiples this week - Venom!!! Nuff said...

More reviews to come as I read on...please write in your own takes would love to hear contrary opinion as to why I shouldn't drop a title...any saving graces that I may have overlooked! grin.gif

I've heard good things about Goon and Y The Last Man. I just subscribed to both, so I'll let you know how it goes..Goon sounds a bit better then Y as Y sounds like it could have some limited possiblities.

Brian

Fables is a really good book. After reading the first two books of the second story arc, I added it to my subscription list at my shop. I really prefer the non-super-hero titles, and this was a fresh idea. It seems to me that Vertigo consistantly puts out the best stuff (Another plug for 100 Bullets!!!!!!).

I also saw the preview of the new Hulk story and thought about picking it up. I always liked the Abomination as a nemesis for the Hulk. I really wish I had picked this title up when Jones began writing. I've heard only good things.

Going to p/up my copies USM "Venom" as well!!!

Chris

League of extra-ordinary Gentlemen vol2 is kick-,best book out there right now.

I also enjoy

Y, the Last man (Vertigo)

Spider-man blue (what's up with the delay ?)

Ultimates

Lucifer (Vertigo)

100 Bullets (Vertigo)

The last six months I dropped Black Panther, Thunderbolts, Iron Man and Uncanny X-men.

In fact the only 'regular' Marvel title I still buy and enjoy is New X-men, darth just doesn't get smile.gif

This is the way I mutant book ought to be written, everything is just a bit left of center as if the world is a bit out of focus...

I also like anything by Peter Bagge, the new Hate Annual just came out and it is a sick and twisted as ever...

I just LOVE the Punisher book WHEN IT IS WRITTEN BY ENNIS. You know what you're getting. Mindless, absolutely mindless, over-the-top violence. Unfortunately the art on the "Wolverine" crossover was just hideous, but the last issue, the Belfast one, was quite good.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is outstanding (and by the way, there's your BIG pop book for 2003 - LOEG 1, when the movie comes out).

I very much like the JSM Spider-Man book, well written, and well drawn, surprisingly. Having Aunt May and Mary Jane both know who Spider-Man is is a nice touch.

The Waid Fantastic Four book looks to be great - I had a talk with Waid at the Baltimore show and he really likes the characters, so that's good.

I also like the Ultimates. I'm not too keen on the S&M Giant Man and Wasp, though. But the Nick Fury character is massively cool.

i am currently reading:

ASM - still going strong, JRjr's art is great (he should be drawing more covers though, the cho ones are terrible) and JMS is doing a good job on the writing chores (although didn't care for the two ock's arc) and good to see ezekiel coming back. ovrall the strongest ASM has been since the hobgoblin days in the 80's

DAREDEVIL - bendis is doind a fine job here, keeping the stories gritty and based on the streets, which has always been where daredevil has worked best. maleev's art sets the tone perfectly for the dark 'low life' stories. a great read.

ULTIMATES - the art and chracterisation have been great so far on this book. shipping delays are a real pain though, the gap between issues is a real turn-off.

100 BULLETS - wat more needs to be said about this title? go out and buy it now!

have stopped reading:

ultimate spidey - just doesn't do it for me. i guess it's because it is toosimilar to the original ASM and have been there, done that.

punisher - stories have no bite, seem to be churning out violence for the sake of violence. prefer plot/character driven stories.

alias - got bored with it for a while, although picked up the last issue and it is good stuff, so i might pick it up regularly again (but is bendis doing too much?).

am considering picking up y the last man, but haven't been able to find a copy yet! seems to be a ot seller (probably underordered).

I like:

JLA

Green Arrow

USM

I really can' say enough good things about USM. I read the last issue and it was just great. Bendis is truly incredible and I want to start picking up some of his DD trades next.

Green Arrow is diong really well for himself this year and with JLA, how can you go wrong? It's like a Who's Who of the DC universe.

I agree with Fantastic Four/Poster on Preacher. That was a great title. I'll sell my TPBs on Preacher to anyone that wants them as I also picked up the run.

Currently, I'm reading...

Y The Last Man on Earth - I have the signed 1st copy from Midtown.

Route 666 - Very good take on ground that Ennis has already tread.

100 Bullets - I didn't take to it on the 1st arc, but I'm hooked now.

30 Days of Night - I've got my Mint copies and my reading copies. Good Vampire Saga.

Ok Ok...I admit it...I like Ultimate Spidey. Can't wait for the Venom issue and DD isn't half bad either.

David S.

Y The Last Man trade just came out today, and it reprints the first 5 issues for only 12.95. I picked it up, and you may already know this...but Fables recently got the TPB treatment (only 9.95...special low-priced tpb). I now have both in my possesion and am looking forward to reading them. I am hearing good things about Goon, as soon as it gets the TPB treatment I might pick it up.

I think some great reads along with the Ultimate Spideys and the new Hulk series by Bruce Jones, I loved the Midnight Nation maxi series by JMS and the Powers by Bendis

Michael, no one cares what you like...your loving brother. tongue.gif Kevin