• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

With only 50 copies in existence, I don't think "flooding" the market is really an option, but we may see a few more sales as a response to this one.

I'll take bootleg or counterfeit copies. :grin:

Good luck. They are has hard to find as the real ones

With only 50 copies in existence, I don't think "flooding" the market is really an option, but we may see a few more sales as a response to this one.

How much do they go for? hm

If I remember correctly Archon_Turtle bought the last public set for sale off Dave (forget his board name). I think it was in the 400-500 range. At the time I remember thinking the price was crazy, but now that i have a real set and would love to compliment it with some counterfeits...

Edited by cyberjad

If I remember correctly Archon_Turtle bought the last public set for sale off Dave (forget his board name). I think it was in the 400-500 range. At the time I remember thinking the price was crazy, but now that i have a real set and would love to compliment it with some counterfeits...

If memory serves, he was asking $500 via ebay, and took my offer of $300.

You guys are right though, they are just as hard to find as the originals.

And yeah, a lot of people thought I was crazy, but as I see myself as a historian of sorts when it comes to the TMNT, I thought it worth every penny to be able to say that I had that part of the Gobbledygook history.

Here are some pictures:

Counterfeit Issue 1

Counterfeit Issue 2

Edited by Archon_Turtle

If you're going to sell counterfeits...which is questionable to begin with...why not take a set and run off a couple hundred copies...?

meh

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be interested in it for the history of the books. I'm not interested in buying the ones that any board member prints out and staples together, however I AM interested in buying a set that was "signed and numbered" (fake) before much public knowledge was really known about the real books.

If nothing else, it'll be helpful to show as a side-by-side comparison. Between the boards and shows, non-turtle fans ask me about Gobbledygook books because they're curious. They know CGC won't grade them and want to know why they're so desirable. Giving them all the info is helpful, and that includes showing people what to look for in rooting out a counterfeit.

I've got a real set and a counterfeit #2 that's signed and numbered...again, fake. I'd love to find the matching counterfeit #1 someday. :wishluck:

If you're going to sell counterfeits...which is questionable to begin with...why not take a set and run off a couple hundred copies...?

meh

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be interested in it for the history of the books. I'm not interested in buying the ones that any board member prints out and staples together, however I AM interested in buying a set that was "signed and numbered" (fake) before much public knowledge was really known about the real books.

If nothing else, it'll be helpful to show as a side-by-side comparison. Between the boards and shows, non-turtle fans ask me about Gobbledygook books because they're curious. They know CGC won't grade them and want to know why they're so desirable. Giving them all the info is helpful, and that includes showing people what to look for in rooting out a counterfeit.

I've got a real set and a counterfeit #2 that's signed and numbered...again, fake. I'd love to find the matching counterfeit #1 someday. :wishluck:

There are two "original" types of counterfeit Gobbledygooks I have found so far (Original in the sense that they were created around the same time period of the actual publication):

Those with an obviously fake "Kevin Eastman" signature and numbered out of 150 (these are the books that Peter Palmer is talking about).

And these "Yellow Covers". Mine are 1 of 3 sets I've found in my travels so far ( Another example of them are pictured in this thread ). Aside from the cover color, they're also poorly aligned, but otherwise identical to the originals. However; some of them are "signed and numbered" and some of them aren't.

These books were not created by board members, and are as "valid" an example of counterfeit Gobbledygooks as the black&white cover numbered ones. Simply issued from a different counterfeiter.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Yea, I think its a bit strange too. I understand that these are legit books, and its the first time in a long time at a major auction, but still.... I think maybe a few years back, back when there were only about 1 or 2 confirmed sets, then I could maybe see achieving these numbers. But now? After a good amount of sets have come out? But I guess crazy things can happen. I don't see these books sustainably trading for 5 figures, but I could be wrong. I guess this is good for those of us who have copies :)

I think they are worth more now - a few years ago what was and wasn't legit wasn't as widespread knowledge.

I could see 2/3 even 4 k per book but that #1 at five figures is dumb for sure. I mean I love eastman & laird and rarity is great but its a back cover ad, people.

I had no doubt these books would hit those figures. Gobbledygook #1-2 are one of the hardest books to find.

Turtlemania Gold, Miracleman 3D-2D Version (CGC 9.8) and TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to those figures if put in a major auction.

As a copper age collector, for many years I thought of these books as myth. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one. It's not until recently or joining these boards did I finally get confirmation that they exist.

I had no doubt these books would hit those figures. Gobbledygook #1-2 are one of the hardest books to find.

Turtlemania Gold, Miracleman 3D-2D Version (CGC 9.8) and TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to those figures if put in a major auction.

As a copper age collector, for many years I thought of these books as myth. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one. It's not until recently or joining these boards did I finally get confirmation that they exist.

TMNT #1 9.8 would destroy this book if it went up for auction IMHO.

Now as for the Gobbledygook, I must say I am also surprised by the price. But think about this, outside our little circle there are still few that have had access or knowledge of authentic copies of this book. If all those silver age marvel books with thousands in the census can be worth ridiculous amounts of money why cant a copper book that is highly sought after and nearly nonexistent be worth a pretty penny? Do I think if another one went for sale tomorrow it would bring nearly the same amount of money? Nope. Do I think the book has some pretty decent long term potential and has increased in value the last couple years? Yeap.

If Jeff's lone 9.8 went for sale and it made it's way to one of the BIG Auction Houses, they would advertise and market it to the utmost and I think it would EASILY surpass many expectations on the final price. (I know, I'd be bidding like a Mo Fo on it!) As for the Turtlemania Gold....I think that could go either way. Personally, I think it might pale in comparison to theTMNT #1 9.8. It just doesn't have the clout.

I feel that with Heritage's database and connections, they did a stellar job reaching out publicly and possibly personally, to people who might not be aware of these books and their value. Moreover, their true significance to the Turtles, the Turtles in comics, to the Comic Industry, the Independent Comic Industry, historically upon the Copper Age and just the simple fact of such a low print run.

I congratulate the buyer, I'm jealous, they sure are a purdy pair, I would love em.

their true significance to the Turtles,

True significance? Its a back cover ad. Not an appearance - a back cover ad.

They are neat and all - but boy howdy going by this precedent we should all be paying through the nose for More Fun 51s not 52s.

Until we can get confirmation that the auction is paid, I will remain skeptical.

My heart of hearts wants to believe that someone with 17k to spend on these books would have the common sense to do enough research to know the idea is not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy.

Kevin and Peter are both still alive and publicly accessible. Authentication is NOT difficult to get for these books. Those letters are not worth enough to make up the difference.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

If Jeff's lone 9.8 went for sale and it made it's way to one of the BIG Auction Houses, they would advertise and market it to the utmost and I think it would EASILY surpass many expectations on the final price. (I know, I'd be bidding like a Mo Fo on it!) As for the Turtlemania Gold....I think that could go either way. Personally, I think it might pale in comparison to theTMNT #1 9.8. It just doesn't have the clout.

I feel that with Heritage's database and connections, they did a stellar job reaching out publicly and possibly personally, to people who might not be aware of these books and their value. Moreover, their true significance to the Turtles, the Turtles in comics, to the Comic Industry, the Independent Comic Industry, historically upon the Copper Age and just the simple fact of such a low print run.

I congratulate the buyer, I'm jealous, they sure are a purdy pair, I would love em.

Just to clear things up. TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to the figures for Goobledygook #1, maybe a little more. Turtlemania Gold and Miracleman 3D-2D version (CGC 9.8) would be close to the figures for Gobbledygook #2. As stated earlier in this thread a Turtlemania Gold as already sold privately for $4000+. Sorry for the confusion.

Congratulations to the new owner.