• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

Great thread so far, I understand the print run is real low on this book. When a copy comes up for sale what do they usually fetch?

Hard to say as these have publicly been sold only a few times. Of the instances I know of:

1. $6000 asking

"As someone else mentioned, there was a set at the VA Comicon last month. Bechara Malouf (an original art dealer) owns that set. For those that are interested, he was asking $6k for that set at the show. I thought this was an "extra" set came that one of the board members, but I could be wrong. Regardless, they only recently surfaced. "

2. The set that was for sale at SDCC was being offered at $5000...if I remember correctly.

3. Awhile back a single #1 was sold publicly for $1800

4. A single #1 sold on this board VERY quickly for $1200 now to long ago. That was a steal. I regret now picking it up.

Anyone else know of public sales? I am guessing few of us want to discuss our private sales :)

there's also a set in the upcoming heritage auction so that will be a good barometer

Archon_Turtle,

I am thinking it would be a good idea to put a FAQ in the first post. Can include print run, average sale prices, why its collectable, etc. Thoughts?

Sure, I'll work on something :-)

TY! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

there's also a set in the upcoming heritage auction so that will be a good barometer

Yes, the upcoming auction will be a good barometer. Almost all the past sales were privately arranged and the ones that were public, weren't very well advertised. Many interested buyers could have missed them.

A VF or better set should go for $3-6k. But, in the case of the Gobbledygook books, provenance is just as or more important than condition. I'd much rather have a Fine set with letters from Kevin and other original owner explaining their origin than a NM set without any provenance.

Because of the provenance of this set, I expect this set to go towards the higher end of the range, but we will see!

Crazy. Absolutely crazy. I'm just glad Fugitoid wasn't my absolute favorite character as a kid; otherwise, I'd have an awful time of making this set a part of my collection! lol But man... I did love that little golden robot...

Just out of curiosity... I'm guessing the 2nd printings of this set aren't terribly rare or expensive?

2nd printings? I don't have a 1986 'gook but I don't think its even the same material. (?)

most of the 1984 'gooks are actually reprinted in the fugitoid oneshot. The first four or so chapters of that one shot are the 84 gooks. The last couple (?) chapters are new. As the 'toid one-shot was after TMNT 4, this would probably date those chapters to 1985 or so.

beyond the 'toid pages, the 'gooks also have a bunch of eastman/laird non-story illustrations not reprinted in the 'toid one-shot.

why do I feel like calling somebody a 'taard? :insane: (non double e spelling is *spooned*? Really?)

2nd printings? I don't have a 1986 'gook but I don't think its even the same material. (?)

most of the 1984 'gooks are actually reprinted in the fugitoid oneshot. The first four or so chapters of that one shot are the 84 gooks. The last couple (?) chapters are new. As the 'toid one-shot was after TMNT 4, this would probably date those chapters to 1985 or so.

beyond the 'toid pages, the 'gooks also have a bunch of eastman/laird non-story illustrations not reprinted in the 'toid one-shot.

why do I feel like calling somebody a 'taard? :insane: (non double e spelling is *spooned*? Really?)

Cause words weren't spelled out fully leading to difficulty for readers?-) :baiting::kidaround:

Kidding aside, :foryou: thanks for the clarification. I've really only focused on Turtle books themselves so the others I'm really still working out the details on. And I noticed Adam posted a 1986 copy of Gobbledygook so I assumed it was a second printing.

So, I should be able to account for the storyline through simply getting my hands on a copy of the 1985 Fugitoid One-shot... any idea if those Eastman & Laird illustrations were reprinted elsewhere?

any idea if those Eastman & Laird illustrations were reprinted elsewhere?

I know of atleast 1 part of Gobbledygook #1 that saw previous print. The "Champ" story (the final story in Gobbledygook #1 by Kevin and his Uncle) was printed in Comix Wave 13 (Published a year before Gobbledygook #1). Comix Wave was Kevin's first publisher, and was an underground magazine. Here are comparison shots of my copies of both books. Comix Wave 13 is always on the left:

102_4018.jpg

102_4020.jpg

102_4021.jpg

102_4022.jpg

Also, a few of the images in Gobbledygook #1 were reprinted in "Gallery" sections of it's 1986 counterpart:

102_4023.jpg

102_4024.jpg

102_4027.jpg

102_4025.jpg

A few pages of Gobbledygook #2 also found their way into the 1986 Gobbledygook (for these comparison shots, I am using my counterfeit copy of GG2. My original is current framed with the cover art):

102_4028.jpg

102_4029.jpg

102_4030.jpg

Incidently, one of the gallery pictures in the 1986 Gobbledygook was not printed in the first "Gooks" but DID see previous print....WAAAAY previous print:

102_4026.jpg

This is a copy of the May 1979 issue of Scat Magazine. An underground zine that only circulated locally in Northampton. Legend has it Kevin's discovery of Scat on a bus is actually what prompted Kevin to meet Peter.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

By the way, for those of you who are interested in other Pre-Mirage work of Kevin and Peter's, you can check out pics and info of my Pre-Mirage Collection by visiting the following links:

http://gogreenmachine.org/?p=3653

http://gogreenmachine.org/?p=2700

http://gogreenmachine.org/?p=2754