• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

any idea if those Eastman & Laird illustrations were reprinted elsewhere?

I know of atleast 1 part of Gobbledygook #1 that saw previous print. The "Champ" story (the final story in Gobbledygook #1 by Kevin and his Uncle) was printed in Comix Wave 13 (Published a year before Gobbledygook #1). Comix Wave was Kevin's first publisher, and was an underground magazine. Here are comparison shots of my copies of both books. Comix Wave 13 is always on the left:

:applause:

I was reading the description and I agree that this book deserves to be #1 in the Overstreet Price Guide in terms of value for Copper Age Comics.

Not sure that I would totally agree with that, only because Turtlemania Special #1 gold edition has sold for $4000+ on more than one occasion.

I was reading the description and I agree that this book deserves to be #1 in the Overstreet Price Guide in terms of value for Copper Age Comics.

Not sure that I would totally agree with that, only because Turtlemania Special #1 gold edition has sold for $4000+ on more than one occasion.

I would agree with juggernaut. Here is why:

- The Turtlemania sales have been private. No known public sales.

- Gobbleygook has a long history of being raw and sought after. This is a more recent occurrence with Turtlemania Gold, to the best of my knowledge.

-The book was not printed by mirage and has no real historical significance. The back ad on Gobbleygook is significant. There is also no story on the inside of Turtlemania.

-The book is sought really after only by TMNT perfectionists and people interested in the specific books artwork.

Now I am not badmouthing the book, heck if the price was substantially lower I would love to own one. However, I do see these are reasons for price fluctuation. The book is desirable, but only to a very specific buyer in a very specific market. Given the right conditions the book could easily have a wild price swing in either direction. I just don't see the same value and price stability in a Turtlemania Gold as a set of Gobbleygooks, which is how they are almost always sold.

However, if you are talking Turtlemania Gold vs. Gobbleygook #1, that might just be another story. Due to the pure scarcity of Turtlemania gold and Gobbleygooks strength of being sold in a set, you may just have a winner. There will probably always be two turtle super collectors wanting a copy :) There again if all ten sets are found...

Edited by cyberjad

I had Turtlemania Special #1 Gold as #2. I didn't know the sales figures was so high on this item.

Note to self, maybe it's time to start those threads you have been wanting to do.

I'm in talks to buy a set of these books from Issac Elliot-Fisher, the guy that's working on the TMNT documentary at turtledocs.com.

You guys know these books are so rare, so I have 2 concerns.

1: How do I best authenticate the books, other than verifying the seller is the real Issac that has done the documentary? The guys got a ton of video and pics of him with Kevin and Peter, if anyone could get a copy from one of them, it would be him.

2: How do I maintain the bloodline post-sale? I don't have a connection with anyone other than the dent the transaction will put in my savings to show they are real.

I have a couple pics of the books so far, should be getting more later today, so if there is any part of the book that would be best to look at, please let me know! These pics are huge, but the books deserve it. :)

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

this thread wasn't a bad start to maintaining the lineage. The signatures on the inside are good too.

I guess all you can really do is let everyone who cares

(and even those that don't) know that you own the books and that you bought them from Isaac. Post it on a couple other websites too. Save a screenshot. Then there is at least a record of your story when you go to sell it.

this thread wasn't a bad start to maintaining the lineage. The signatures on the inside are good too.

I guess all you can really do is let everyone who cares

(and even those that don't) know that you own the books and that you bought them from Isaac. Post it on a couple other websites too. Save a screenshot. Then there is at least a record of your story when you go to sell it.

I agree. To me this would be a major concern and may make a sale in the future difficult. You should get a bill of sale to prove the history from this point, but I dont see how you could trace the book back prior.

The book looks legit in the pictures and comes from a good source. Just buy it at a price you are comfortable with and enjoy. If you are looking for a more documented book consider the ones at auction right now, but I am guessing you are getting a better deal on these :)

As the person who had the first set authenticated by Kevin years ago, my two cents is that they look legit. The right hand borders of the front cover have similar shading variations as is seen on a few other of the legit copies that have appeared. The fact that Kevin and Peter recently signed them also lends some legitmacy to them.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7030&Lot_No=92082&Lot_Id_No=30001

This sure is getting to be a spicy meatball! I was hoping to contend seeing as I have the #2 cover, and it would have been nice to make the set. But I was out at 4k. Good luck to those going for it.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7030&Lot_No=92082&Lot_Id_No=30001

This sure is getting to be a spicy meatball! I was hoping to contend seeing as I have the #2 cover, and it would have been nice to make the set. But I was out at 4k. Good luck to those going for it.

Yea I was hopeful also, but this is out of my league :(

I think I bid about that much myself and I'm not even interested in it. By rights it should go for lot more yet. But look at it this way - the higher the #1 gets bid up the more your #2 is probably worth!

Not a bad position to be in either way.

As of today, about $9k for the set actually... Surprised, yes, but since it's the first legit set to be auctioned to the public by one of the major auction houses, it's possible they could go for a lot more. Becuase there are a lot of book completists out there, the appeal of the books may actually outpace that of the art. We will see!

As of today, about $9k for the set actually... Surprised, yes, but since it's the first legit set to be auctioned to the public by one of the major auction houses, it's possible they could go for a lot more. Becuase there are a lot of book completists out there, the appeal of the books may actually outpace that of the art. We will see!

Gotta wonder if the market will get flooded with sets after this. All the set owners should be pleased as punch. They are basically watching the market value of their books soar.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

With only 50 copies in existence, I don't think "flooding" the market is really an option, but we may see a few more sales as a response to this one.