• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

Howdy howdy!

I've been wanting to start a Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club thread for quite some time! This thread is for owners to display and discuss their copies of the books.

Personally, I'm most excited about this thread as a way to see how many of the books we can actually account for.

This will also be a great thread for people to come to if they have questions about copies they may have, as they are very easily reproduced, and thew best people to verify authenticity on this particular books, are those that already own them.

Also, Just to be clear, when we say Gobbledygook #1, we mean this book:

179_2245.jpg

NOT this book:

img504.jpg

Edited by Archon_Turtle

I'm in! :acclaim:

Gobbledygook1.jpg

Gobbledygook2.jpg

I've also got a counterfeit #2 (still looking for the matching #1):

Gobbledygook2Counterfeit.jpg

And since I'm already in the club, I'm going to post it anyway:

Gobbledygook1SS.jpg

So here are my copies of Gobbledygook #1 and #2. If you click on either cover, it will take you to a gallery for the book.

179_2245.jpg

100_2274.jpg

These books were gifted to me by Kevin Eastman after we had made a deal for some pages of art. At the time, I was involved in the creation of a TMNT documentary which was in-part being filmed at Kevin's home; so we decided to make the exchange for the art there. Weeks prior I had inquired if he had any more copies of the books and he told me he would check. I dismissed it after that.

When Kevin showed up to the shoot, he had th art in hand...and an extra envelope. When I asked what it was he winked at me. Of course upon opening the envelop my breath was taken away.

Here Kevin is signing them :

_DSC0094pjpeg.jpg

He drew up this sign when I mentioned that nobody is going to believe this happened ;-)

_DSC0098_01pjpeg.jpg

Something unique to note about my #1 is that it is an error copy. There are a number of pages that appear twice (these pages are Alpha-Numerically noted in the gallery). So far this seems to be the only known book to contain this error, and I am on the hunt for it's possible sister. So if you have a copy that is missing the pages I have doubles of, please let me know!

It's also worth mentioning that Kevin gifted me the cover art for Gobbledygook #2 after doing me the honor of being my Best Man in October of this year.

The art with the book, framed:

100_3874.jpg

Myself, Kevin, and my childhood friend Elliott waiting at the altar for my bride :-)

Wedding25.jpg

Lastly, here are links to my Yellow Cover counterfeits:

100_2518.jpg

100_2531.jpg

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Well I know for sure theres atleast one more #1 owned by a board member that isn't here yet (I sold it it him). But who knows, maybe some people will come out of the woodwork! If not now, then at least this will hopefully pop up on google or something when they go looking for answers about the book :-)

Edit: Oh, and Danny's set.

I believe the owner of MikeysTMNT.com owns a set that was won through the 25th anniversary contest...and in going through my msg archive here, one other member contacted me about a set he purchased. He showed me pics. But I'm not going to post pics of someone else's books.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

AT--great pics! And while I won't be "in" this club, I was also interviewed for the documentary. We actually talked about you, the wedding, and the cover art!-) You have to love the small world of the CGC Forums.

Edited by Mac Man

Archon_Turtle,

That's quite the impressive collection man! You should try to win that OA for the #1 going up to auction and complete the set...assuming you think its real.

It isn't that I don't believe it is real...it's that I question the circustance under which it was acquired.

I believe there are a few more sets out there. Here are the ones I remember:

1) The original set which I purchased in 1996 and was the first set authenticated by Kevin. This was the set that the Overstreet Price Guide first showed pictures of a few years back. The letters that accompanied that set exposed the fact that the yellow counterfeits existed and the fact that there were only 50 copies of Gobbledygook printed. I believe Motor City Comics now owns that set and is selling them. See the following Scoop article for more information and pictures of those copies: http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=55658&ssd=3/31/2007&arch=y

2) The set that Steve Lavigne sold on eBay a few years ago. This set was the second authentic set to appear in public in recent years. I'm not sure if the collector who owns those is on the boards here, but I got to look through that set soon after he purchased them. If my memory is correct, Lavigne also had an extra copy of #1 that he sold so that should be out there as well.

3) After I traded my original set and missed out on the Lavigne set, I was lucky to "discover" another authentic set which I purchased from a high school friend of Kevin's. Kevin sent the set along with some other rare Turtles items that are rarely seen (a original page from issue #3, an unused iron on, a prototype greeting card, a Mirage Studios business card, a set of the first Dark Horse figures, and some photocopies of ads/art (some previously unpublished). I had Kevin and the original owner both write letters to document the provenance of these copies and the condition of these were actually nicer than my original set.

4) The "PGX Authenticated" set. This set is the most controversial of all the sets that have appeared. They were stapled differently from the rest of the copies that have surfaced. Speculation is that this could have been the set that was used to create the yellow counterfeits. After the counterfeiters had shot them, they could have re-stapled the books, but without seeing them, it's hard to tell. Anyway,CGC refused to certify these books so the owner had PGX do it. Not sure they were authenticated by Kevin or Peter as part of this process or what copies they used to authenticate them, but I'd love to see this set surface again so they can be compared against the other known sets.

5) As someone else mentioned, there was a set at the VA Comicon last month. Bechara Malouf (an original art dealer) owns that set. For those that are interested, he was asking $6k for that set at the show. I thought this was an "extra" set came that one of the board members, but I could be wrong. Regardless, they only recently surfaced.

Unfortunately, I don't have scans of all these copies to share, but figured it was important to note their existence.

Great thread so far, I understand the print run is real low on this book. When a copy comes up for sale what do they usually fetch?

Hard to say as these have publicly been sold only a few times. Of the instances I know of:

1. $6000 asking

"As someone else mentioned, there was a set at the VA Comicon last month. Bechara Malouf (an original art dealer) owns that set. For those that are interested, he was asking $6k for that set at the show. I thought this was an "extra" set came that one of the board members, but I could be wrong. Regardless, they only recently surfaced. "

2. The set that was for sale at SDCC was being offered at $5000...if I remember correctly.

3. Awhile back a single #1 was sold publicly for $1800

4. A single #1 sold on this board VERY quickly for $1200 now to long ago. That was a steal. I regret now picking it up.

Anyone else know of public sales? I am guessing few of us want to discuss our private sales :)