• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

I had no doubt these books would hit those figures. Gobbledygook #1-2 are one of the hardest books to find.

Turtlemania Gold, Miracleman 3D-2D Version (CGC 9.8) and TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to those figures if put in a major auction.

As a copper age collector, for many years I thought of these books as myth. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one. It's not until recently or joining these boards did I finally get confirmation that they exist.

their true significance to the Turtles,

True significance? Its a back cover ad. Not an appearance - a back cover ad.

They are neat and all - but boy howdy going by this precedent we should all be paying through the nose for More Fun 51s not 52s.

You just had to find one statement you didnt like outta my latenight ramblings. Ok here we go,.....

Yes true significance IMHO to the turtles, a back cover add. It is their first app. in a funny book. Happens to be an add. I feel some turtle fans with some money, which are not true funny book fans find merit in owning. Just like a funny book turtle fan might find merit in owning. We are NOT talking Hulk 180 here....how many copies vs. 50 or most likely way less in that condition.

And I'm not saying you should own them. Yes you should be paying way more for More Fun 51 n 52, if you go by this one sale. If you do, than you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If the turtles were my favorite characters I wouldn't bat an eye at that price if I wanted a copy and wasn't privy to the previous few surfacings and I wanted it now. A comic price can be whatever value someone wants to pay, you know this - so who cares if $90,000 + was paid for an Avengers #4 9.6 Congrats to the owner. Steep price.....but do you think they really care, I don't think it hampered their grocery spending.

Jeff's TMNT #1 9.8 is WAY MORE VALUABLE in my eyes than these books. But there is true significance to the turtles and this book IMHO.

And I'm spent, night.

I think a TMNT 1 9.8 would go for just over $20k.

Far more significant book than Green Lantern 76, and if the first 9.6 copies of that book did $25k+ and a 9.8 did $37k, a pristine Turtles 1 could reach actual art values.

I could see the same Southeby's collector base who normally go for Rothko or Warhol paintings angling for the most significant comic of the last 35 years (as I think it's easily the most significant book since Giant Size X-Men 1).

And I forget--is it TMNT 1 or Secret Wars 1 that supposedly started the Copper Age?

I had no doubt these books would hit those figures. Gobbledygook #1-2 are one of the hardest books to find.

Turtlemania Gold, Miracleman 3D-2D Version (CGC 9.8) and TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to those figures if put in a major auction.

As a copper age collector, for many years I thought of these books as myth. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one. It's not until recently or joining these boards did I finally get confirmation that they exist.

their true significance to the Turtles,

True significance? Its a back cover ad. Not an appearance - a back cover ad.

They are neat and all - but boy howdy going by this precedent we should all be paying through the nose for More Fun 51s not 52s.

You just had to find one statement you didnt like outta my latenight ramblings. Ok here we go,.....

Yes true significance IMHO to the turtles, a back cover add. It is their first app. in a funny book. Happens to be an add. I feel some turtle fans with some money, which are not true funny book fans find merit in owning. Just like a funny book turtle fan might find merit in owning. We are NOT talking Hulk 180 here....how many copies vs. 50 or most likely way less in that condition.

And I'm not saying you should own them. Yes you should be paying way more for More Fun 51 n 52, if you go by this one sale. If you do, than you're a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If the turtles were my favorite characters I wouldn't bat an eye at that price if I wanted a copy and wasn't privy to the previous few surfacings and I wanted it now. A comic price can be whatever value someone wants to pay, you know this - so who cares if $90,000 + was paid for an Avengers #4 9.6 Congrats to the owner. Steep price.....but do you think they really care, I don't think it hampered their grocery spending.

Jeff's TMNT #1 9.8 is WAY MORE VALUABLE in my eyes than these books. But there is true significance to the turtles and this book IMHO.

And I'm spent, night.

Well the rest of your post made sense! The significance bit I don't agree with though. This is less significant than Hulk 180 is to wolverine (shrug)

And I'm not saying you shouldn't own them! I just think the market is SO carried away on these, at least judging by that heritage auction. I can't help but think its a case of people just "being told" its the first app of the turtles and not using their thinking cap for themselves.

Plus, my understanding has always been that #1 and #2 came out at the same time. Judging by the price of #1 relative to #2 that doesn't seem to be widely understood either.

Don't get me wrong, at say $4k for the set I'm a huge fan of these books. At nearly $20k for the set? I'm no fan at all.

If Jeff's lone 9.8 went for sale and it made it's way to one of the BIG Auction Houses, they would advertise and market it to the utmost and I think it would EASILY surpass many expectations on the final price. (I know, I'd be bidding like a Mo Fo on it!) As for the Turtlemania Gold....I think that could go either way. Personally, I think it might pale in comparison to theTMNT #1 9.8. It just doesn't have the clout.

I feel that with Heritage's database and connections, they did a stellar job reaching out publicly and possibly personally, to people who might not be aware of these books and their value. Moreover, their true significance to the Turtles, the Turtles in comics, to the Comic Industry, the Independent Comic Industry, historically upon the Copper Age and just the simple fact of such a low print run.

I congratulate the buyer, I'm jealous, they sure are a purdy pair, I would love em.

Just to clear things up. TMNT #1 (CGC 9.8) would be close to the figures for Goobledygook #1, maybe a little more. Turtlemania Gold and Miracleman 3D-2D version (CGC 9.8) would be close to the figures for Gobbledygook #2. As stated earlier in this thread a Turtlemania Gold as already sold privately for $4000+. Sorry for the confusion.

Congratulations to the new owner.

A TMNT #1 in CGC 9.8 would blow the Goobledygook #1 price out of the water - it wouldn't be close.

And a Miracleman 3D (non-3D) in CGC 9.8 is a 10k+ book.

I don't think a number of you understand why these books are actually significant; carrying on about how these "aren't the first turtle app". The major significance of these books isnt the "turtle appearance". The significance is that these are the first project that Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman did together. These books started Mirage Studios. Any self respecting turtle collector doesn't consider these books the first turtle app; we consider them the beginning of a dynasty that the Turtles are merely a significant part of. THAT is why they are worth what they are worth. NOT the ad in the back.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

I don't think a number of you understand why these books are actually significant; carrying on about how these "aren't the first turtle app". The major significance of these books isnt the "turtle appearance". The significance is that these are the first project that Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman did together. These books started Mirage Studios. Any self respecting turtle collector doesn't consider these books the first turtle app; we consider them the beginning of a dynasty that the Turtles are merely a significant part of. THAT is why they are worth what they are worth. NOT the ad in the back.

+ eleventy billion

And that's why I like them at 4k (start of a dynasty price) and not 18k (start of the turtles price). You said yourself that the price on #1 was ridiculous

The content of the books is really neat. I used to have counterfeits (that I thought were real lol ) and they are wonderful. Not 20k wonderful, but really neat.

I guess I am just old school and will never be able to wrap my mind around $100k avengers 4's and near $20k 'gook sets.

So none of my other thoughts have merit to the importance of these books? Or is that more the TMNT books?

".....the Turtles in comics, to the Comic Industry, the Independent Comic Industry, historically upon the Copper Age and just the simple fact of such a low print run."

I'm asking you cause you know more than anyone about the green guys and their history and I won't doubt or argue with someone that knows way more than I about a topic. (Danny and Peter right there with you on knowledge)

I will say that while the majority of TMNT collectors probably think along the same lines as Archon, having chatted with a few other owners and wannabe owners of these books there are some who feel that the GGs are indeed first appearances. As in that it was in these books that for the first time one could open (or close in this case) a comic book and see the Turtles in black and white for the first time. These of course, would be the same people that would think hulk 180 is the true 1st app, along with those ads in early Actions and Tecs for other major heros. It just is what it is, and I really don't think either side is wrong or matters. That said, due to BOTH of those camps I think it opens the title up for great growth as it makes the book highly desirable for both reasons.

So none of my other thoughts have merit to the importance of these books? Or is that more the TMNT books?

".....the Turtles in comics, to the Comic Industry, the Independent Comic Industry, historically upon the Copper Age and just the simple fact of such a low print run.

As far as your thoughts here bud, I'd have to say that the importance falls more on the Turtles than on the GGs (if thats what you are comparing here), specically Turtles #1. The GGs were just so low print run and composed of characters that have had very little following/relevance that the industy and collectors alike really didn't care for them. Turtles #1, on the hand, had people talking, thus creating the empire it did. Content aside, they do have importance in showing what independents could do (carrying on from Cerebus' success) and on other notes, but there great achievements without a doubt was that the books provided a springboard for Eastman & Laird to brainstorm and work together, which as we know, ended with them creating this kooky Turtles idea.

Guess I was right that the books could get higher prices that the art because the Turtles completists don't necessarily collect the art. Odd that the cover to #1 went for half the price of a copy of the book!

Congrats to the winner of that masterpiece. Just hope the ink doesn't continue to fade over time! The person who won it may want to send it to a conservationist.

Edited by comiconxion

Good deal Danny. Nice break down, thank-you yet again.

(thumbs u

Guess I was right that the books could get higher prices that the art because the Turtles completists don't necessarily collect the art. Odd that the cover to #1 went for half the price of a copy of the book!

Congrats to the winner of that masterpiece. Just hope the ink doesn't continue to fade over time! The person who won it may want to send it to a conservationist.

Yep, good call Chuck. And BTW, congrats on the sales of your art. Solid prices on all of it.

I've always viewed the GG pair in a similar vein to Detective Comics 15 (advert for Action Comics 1 in it). At the end of the day, value is there but not surpassing the actual Action Comics 1. However, that's not a perfect apples-to-apples comparison as Archon mentioned with the primary significance being attached to the first work of E&L. Regardless, very cool books and I'm just glad I can at least say I've seen a pair in person. :cloud9:

I've been M.I.A. on the boards due to some insane months at work and just now read what these books sold at auction. I never imagined that they would go for that much.

I almost had to sell my set due to some unforeseen student loan issues (thankfully they were resolved). I'm really glad I didn't.

:preach: Good to hear! Dont give those babies up!

:preach: Good to hear! Dont give those babies up!

+1

Had you sold them, it would now be very difficult to acquire copies at the original price point again down the road.

Edited by Archon_Turtle