• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official comicdonna charity auction thread (was Holiday Raffle thread)

207 posts in this topic

I can't believe people didn't think we were capable of doing both. What I donated as a sort of Secret Santa thing is not what I would have donated for a fundraiser for a member in need.

Well stated Shad - one Christmas our neighbors had a similar thing happen (severe flooding, lost everything and even worse from an insurance POV) around the holidays and we did not just go in, scoop up our Christmas presents and toss them those.

We gave some cash, a place to stay until the motel came through, went out shopping for clothes, food, etc. I just didn't see the link between Secret Santa and this horrible tragedy, or why one has to be the same as the other. (shrug)

But either way, good luck and here's hoping for a better 2011.

I have a feeling we won't hear from JC on this subject again.

Because he is too busy washing off the scent of vinegar and water?

Nope, because I just got back from taking the family to Tangled - pretty good movie BTW.

I can't believe people didn't think we were capable of doing both. What I donated as a sort of Secret Santa thing is not what I would have donated for a fundraiser for a member in need.

We should have been able to do both, I agree.

+1. I do agree and I had my holiday raffle prize pulled since the holiday raffle no longer exists. And while the original raffle would have been fun and something I looked forward to participating in for the first time, I just can't be upset about it and now look forward to participating and contributing to the fundraiser...

Most of the raffle participants chose to switch the thread over to a fundraiser and there was even a poll taken as well which reflected the same thing. And I would like to think that if the poll taken had the opposite results then the raffle would have stayed. But I think it's a fair deal considering most boardies opted to change the thread to a fundraiser and those that didn't were given the option to keep their item...

So while I'm honestly a little disappointed that the raffle is happening, I am also amazed by the support of the board for someone in need. Not only are there many people donating awesome items but people like my own Secret Santa SKYPINKBLU have taken up the cause and are putting there heart and soul into the effort as well. For that I am sure you will all get a deposit made into your own bank of Karma....

And after all, It is the holiday season, the time to think of others and appreciate what you have. The truth is that I feel for (the other) Mike and it's really terrible but I am very thankful that it wasn't me or my family because I could only imagine the devastation.

I could eventually replace my favorite CGC book but I would never get back the color crayon drawing my step-son made at 5yrs old which was full of big red hearts to show "all the love between us"...

So now what or where exactly is this VCC thread and who should I PM my fundraiser items to or where exactly should I post that info...Thanks, You guys all rock!

Mike

Nope, because I just got back from taking the family to Tangled - pretty good movie BTW.

He who hates everything like Tangled...go figure... (shrug)

Again, sorry to those who I have disappointed. :foryou: That certainly wasn't my intentions.

To me and others, this wasn't ever really a question about why we can't do both a raffle and an auction, but rather why we shouldn't.

Should the raffle prizes go to the Comic Donna charity auction?

69 yes, 14 no

Having a future raffle is a fine idea. (thumbs u

Andy

He who hates everything like Tangled...go figure... (shrug)

i actually want to see it, but will wait for it on DVD via netflix a la 'toy story 3'. :acclaim:

I'm going to change the direction of the raffle and if there's any ill will, please direct it all to me, Andy Greenham.

Although I feel for Mike and will be looking to bid on some charity auctions, I feel this type of "I'm gonna change the Christmas raffle to an auction and I don't care what anyone else thinks" is totally wrong and against the spirit of the whole endeavor.

I disagree with you. Anyone that wants to cry about not getting a stupid Christmas raffle prize can suck it. And anyone that wants to can direct some ill will toward me, too. What could be more in the spirit of Christmas than selfless giving to someone that needs it? WTF?

(worship)

Again, sorry to those who I have disappointed. :foryou: That certainly wasn't my intentions.

To me and others, this wasn't ever really a question about why we can't do both a raffle and an auction, but rather why we shouldn't.

69 yes, 14 no

Andy

I think, to some, their first reaction is that it seems like Christmas was canceled for the year and that the tradition is "skipping a year".

The bottom line is what you donated is still going to another comic collector in the community but instead of leaving it to a random drawing of names its going to go to someone who is more willing to invest more into the well being of the community.

With a random drawing like in the regular Raffle draw you could have contributed something and got "nothing" and now you have the power to get something you like by being generous to a fellow in need.

I don't know about everyone else but every Raffle draw I see something I like and now the opportunity is there to have it.

That sounds pretty win-win to me, so start bidding! :)

69 yes, 14 no

Andy

I think, to some, their first reaction is that it seems like Christmas was canceled for the year and that the tradition is "skipping a year".

The bottom line is what you donated is still going to another comic collector in the community but instead of leaving it to a random drawing of names its going to go to someone who is more willing to invest more into the well being of the community.

With a random drawing like in the regular Raffle draw you could have contributed something and got "nothing" and now you have the power to get something you like by being generous to a fellow in need.

I don't know about everyone else but every Raffle draw I see something I like and now the opportunity is there to have it.

That sounds pretty win-win to me, so start bidding! :)

+1

Dan

If you were really set on winning a certain prize in the raffle, please send me a PM and when the item is up for auction, I will do my absolute best to win the item and then send it to you free of charge.

:sumo:

I was fully convinced that I was going to win the raffle prize with the highest resale value....

:wishluck:

If you were really set on winning a certain prize in the raffle, please send me a PM and when the item is up for auction, I will do my absolute best to win the item and then send it to you free of charge.

:sumo:

I was fully convinced that I was going to win the raffle prize with the highest resale value....

:wishluck:

That's funny because it's true. (thumbs u

Can someone point me to the X-Men 115 auction, I can't seem to find it. The book *is* a bit off-center but it is for a good cause.

Thanks.

I believe there's another 80 or so auctions that are being listed tomorrow. The one you're looking for will be in there. (thumbs u

Andy

Can someone point me to the X-Men 115 auction, I can't seem to find it. The book *is* a bit off-center but it is for a good cause.

Thanks.

it's OK if you secretly want the X-Men 248 CGC 9.6

X-Men 115 CGC 9.4

Those are my books. They will be packed well for the winner. :)

Just a reminder, Auctions #1-94, are ending tonight, starting at 8:30 PM EST . The last one #94 ends at 10pm. The rest will end tomorrow night.

Bidding late is fine, too! But just in cause you are going out for another night of rabble rousing, you might want to bid early!

Here is a link for those of you who have not seen them!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=69

I also have Mike's Paypal address if someone wants to make a straight donation, just PM me and kindly put for ComicDonna in the title.

Thanks for your support everyone and a Happy, Safe and Healthy New Year! :acclaim:

firepics044.jpg

firepics037.jpg

firepics036.jpg

firepics035.jpg

firepics034.jpg