• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need input......

31 posts in this topic

OH yeah! Major - Be sure to do a COMPLETE page count. Not just front to middle or Back to middle. Count ALL the pages. I have actually seen some books were single interior page had been cut out just before the staple. So if you happened to count from the back to the front (and assuming the missing page was between front to back) it may LOOK like all pages are there. Count those pages. Also look at each page for a min or so. I bought a series of Good Girl Art books (Fox and Fiction House) from a store here in SF and never noticed, until I got home under better light, that some kid had taken a pencil and palced little dots on literally EVERY panel where a woman's breasts were - essentially making nipples. Fortunatley the dealer took them all back!

some kid had taken a pencil and palced little dots on literally EVERY panel where a woman's breasts were - essentially making nipples.

ROFL How..... interesting. I wonder where that kid is today and what turns him on now! (I wonder if his name is Darth........)

But Pov, you should come on out to KC and we can go check these books out. lol I'd feel a lot safer with you scanning these things with me. cool.gif

But Pov, you should come on out to KC and we can go check these books out. lol I'd feel a lot safer with you scanning these things with me.

I'll tell you Major - were I not leaving for Sicily in 9 days I would use my vacation time to actually go out there with you - give you first dibs and take 2nd for me. Dagnabbit!

I'll tell you Major - were I not leaving for Sicily in 9 days I would use my vacation time to actually go out there with you - give you first dibs and take 2nd for me. Dagnabbit!

Sicily??? We've got pizza in KC! And our women have FAR less body hair... and if you close your eyes and pretend reeeeeeal hard, the sound of the SUVs zipping by kinda sounds like the ocean! Oh who am I kidding? Why are you going to Sicily?? I've got some awesome "Il Punitore" (the Punisher) books from my trip to Venice a great many years ago! You gonna pick up some nice eye-talian books??

You gonna pick up some nice eye-talian books??

Well, I AM Sicilian on my father's side. Neapolitan on my mother's side. But I actually WILL be looking for both comic book and 30's-50's horror/sci-fi movie posters on this trip. I will be in a region where there is much history. A few hundred years BS temples, amphitheaters, etc. About 30 miles from Siracuse!!!! LOVE ancient history. To think I will be walking inside of an amphitheater that is about 2300 years old? My god! But I will be keeping my eye out for comics and posters!

To think I will be walking inside of an amphitheater that is about 2300 years old? My god! But I will be keeping my eye out for comics and posters!

ROFL Epitomizing the comic collector, ladies and gentlemen! wink.gif

But yeah, that's an INCREDIBLE trip to take! You're going to have a blast! Nice to know you'll actually APPRECIATE it! My ex-girlfriend went to India (Calcutta, etc on a Heart-To-Heart International "expedition") and she came back and showed me a picture of her shaking hands with "Mama Somebody". I almost swallowed my tongue. "Mama Somebody" was Mother Theresa.

Yeah. She was a classy, worldly type.

"Mama Somebody" was Mother Theresa.

Hmmm - she certainly WAS a "superstar" in the true sense of the word. In another thread I alluded to the fact that I played music folks here probably would not know. It is Hindustani Classical (North Indian) music. I play sitar. For a few months in 1977-1978 I was in Calcutta taking music lessons from my teacher's teacher (his name was Gokul Nag). He was about 80 when I met him. Small and frail until he picked up the instrument! lol. He knew about 6 words of English: "Hello, Goodbye, Biscuit, Tea, Yes, No".

So when I would get a music lesson from him he would first say "Hello!" I would respond in kind. then he would say "Tea? Biscuit?" I would say "Yes" and his wife would bring me refreshments (usually a bit more robust than literal tea and biscuits."

This music is passed down orally from teacher to student. It is impossible to actually write down as 70% of it is imporvisation - but you have to improvise on a VERY strict backbone so that anyone walking into your performance can identify what you are playing in about 3 minutes.

So we learn by imitating what the teacher does, knowing that what we are being shown is that backbone, the core that uniquly identifies a particular piece (called a Raga).

Often that rascal Gokul Nag (he has long since passed) would strike my hand and most emphatically say NO! Then he would repeat the phrase until he was satisfied. THEN he would say YES. Man that felt good!

A most difficult music to learn unless one is born there. His son, Manilal Nag, is one of the major Sotar players. I met him as well and he played some music for me. To put it into comic book perspective, it was I was a fledgeling comic book artist watching my favorite artist drawing perfect panels in front of me. "Humbled" is an understatement. His wife was pregnant with their first child. When Manilal would start playing his wife would come into the room and sit and listen. She too was an accomplished musician. The reaspon she would listen? So their unborn child would be hearing the music! Man! What a concept!

I play sitar.

Awesome! I love Ravi Shankar! (Though that's probably not the same type of music... but seems like every other one of his songs is a "Raga", so who knows?) What a story though, learning music in India... I took gymnastics down the street when I was a kid. grin.gif

Though that's probably not the same type of music... but seems like every other one of his songs is a "Raga", so who knows

Yes, Shankar plays the same kind of music I do (or vice versa actually). I saw him a few months ago at his final concert. Quite a thrill. In the hippie days he got into a lot of fusion but has since returned to the classical tradition.