• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delivery Confirmation for Canada Good Enough For Paypal

29 posts in this topic

Someone would like to buy a medium flat rate box of books from me...approximate value $500 or so, various odds and ends. I see on the USPS website that delivery confirmation is available for neither the GP flat rate box ($26) or express international ($41). Is this just an online issue? How can I get delivery confirmation (rather than a "certificate of mailing", which I assume is insufficient for paypal purposes) that is good enough for paypal if my Canadian is not as honest and friendly as y'all here?

Or is buying insurance on this the same thing as the USPS is going to want to know if an item is delivered/lost for insurance purposes? I guess doing so would result in my purchaser getting hammered on customs charges, but there's only so much I can do.

Express Mail International is supposed to allow for Delivery Confirmation. I'd call your local post office as online may have some issues.
+1 Express mail indeed provides proof of delivery. I use it for all large $ international shipments. Only option I've found to provide proof and tracking, although DF somehow get's tracking on priority packages (toysmania was able to provide me proof).

Express Mail International is supposed to allow for Delivery Confirmation. I'd call your local post office as online may have some issues.
+1 Express mail indeed provides proof of delivery. I use it for all large $ international shipments. Only option I've found to provide proof and tracking, although DF somehow get's tracking on priority packages (toysmania was able to provide me proof).

It works out to like $65 for this box. maybe a little too much.

What i don't understand is that for $5 i can purchase a bunch of insurance on a GP Flat Rate box ($24). Does that just insure me to the border or something? How can USPS insure if they don't have any way of confirming delivery?

It works out to like $65 for this box. maybe a little too much.

What i don't understand is that for $5 i can purchase a bunch of insurance on a GP Flat Rate box ($24). Does that just insure me to the border or something? How can USPS insure if they don't have any way of confirming delivery?

hm Maybe that's how DF get's their tracking on priority? Sounds like a loop hole to me.

I didn't know it was an anomaly. So far, only priority flat rate envelopes have sent to my mailbox. I (or someone at home) have signed for every other box (flat rate boxes) that have been delivered. (shrug)

Merry Christmas all!

Honestly, I would call paypal and confirm what is acceptable to protect you as a seller. Ebay, over $250 (I believe) and on anything shipped internationally you need to get signature confirmation. I believe Express international will provide you with signature confirmation as I used it a few months back.

Honestly, I would call paypal and confirm what is acceptable to protect you as a seller. Ebay, over $250 (I believe) and on anything shipped internationally you need to get signature confirmation. I believe Express international will provide you with signature confirmation as I used it a few months back.

You MUST have signature confirmation with any transaction at or above $250 in order to be protected under ebay/paypal guidelines. International Express is the only option for this.

eBay Seller Protection

All U.S. eBay sellers are automatically eligible for Seller Protection when buyers file eligible claims through the eBay Resolution Center.

When do I qualify for eBay Seller Protection?

If you sell an item that is eligible for eBay Buyer Protection and the buyer filed an item not received claim with eBay on this item, you are eligible for eBay Seller Protection.

To qualify for eBay Seller Protection, be sure to:

* Communicate proactively with your buyer throughout the transaction.

* Ship items within 7 days of the stated handling time on your listing. For pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, ship within the timelines stated in your listing.

* Use a shipping method that provides tracking information and/or valid delivery confirmation to the address in the PayPal transaction details or eBay order details page.

* Signature confirmation is required for transactions over $250.

* Retain your shipping documentation

* Respond to the eBay resolution process in a timely manner.

How am I protected against buyer unauthorized payments?

For unauthorized payments when using PayPal, please see PayPal Seller Protection. If your buyer paid with another payment method, please review that payment method's policies.

For Paypal purposes:

11.4 Proof of Shipment, Proof of Delivery, and Signature Confirmation Requirements.

"Proof of Shipment" is online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

* The date the item is shipped.

* The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/state or zip code (or international equivalent).

"Proof of Delivery" is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

* The date the item is delivered.

* The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/state or zip code (or international equivalent).

* Signature Confirmation as described below for payments of $250 USD or more or the following foreign currency equivalents:

OK, so what if it is under $250?

Express mail is the only International option thru the P.O that's trackable.Even under $250,if you have an International buyer say he didn't recieve it,you wont be able to prove it was delivered with any other USPS mail option.

Priority Mail with Delivery Conf. will not work with a Paypal Claim,I've been that route.Once the package leaves the US,the USPS has no record of if it was delivered if the delivering Countries Mail doesn't log the package,even with Priority DC...I got screwed,and It's one of the few Paypal claims I have lost,as a seller or buyer.I was able to prove it went to Customs,and that was the last of the package being scanned and reported to the USPS.

thanks, although via paypal I do not see a "tracking" option even with that unless it's automatic. oh well, i guess i may need to take this package in to the p.o.

I don't print any Paypal.Ebay shipping labels,i always just goto the P.O. for Express mail,having to fill ou tthe Customs for anyways...so can't help you with that.

Once it's mailed,just "add tracking" to the payment page details,USPS and the label # from the Express Invoice..it should be a "EG**********US" type #,the first 2 letters vary tho.

You can use UPS Standard, which is delivery trackable and substantially cheaper than Express mail for Canada at least. One caveat is that you cannot add signature confirmation, but that really shouldn't be an issue if it's less than $250. If it's more, maybe you can split it into two different shipments/invoices.

I've sent two packages during the last two weeks this way - worked flawlessly.

Just make sure you include a commercial invoice x 2 for customs and all should go smoothly.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I absolutely love Fed Ex ground/surface shipping. It's relatively quick (3-5 days to California from Toronto, Ontario), it's cheap $15-18 to most US locations and it's reliable. It offers full tracking.

I use it almost exclusively for slabbed books now.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but I absolutely love Fed Ex ground/surface shipping. It's relatively quick (3-5 days to California from Toronto, Ontario), it's cheap $15-18 to most US locations and it's reliable. It offers full tracking.

I use it almost exclusively for slabbed books now.

Sounds like the best choice to me price wise,and speed,and covers Paypal requirements (thumbs u