• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poly or Mylar?

Type of Bag Used  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Type of Bag Used

24 posts in this topic

I use Polypropylene instead of regular Polyurethane on my collection. It's cheaper and clearer than urethane. Not sure how it will do in the long run, but it can't be as bad as all those yellowed wrinkled bags I see in older collections.

For my best books, I got with 4 mil Mylar from bagsunlimited. They look awesome in it and I don't have to worry about anything happening to them.

Poly for new books off the shelf. Mylar for new books off the shelf that are just too sexy for poly. Mylar for higher priced books maybe. I find mylar expensive in most cases. Buy more comics, or buy mylar's??? If I could I would put all my books in mylar but..... Anyhow, I have only bought mylar bags from E. Gerber.

Mylar. Polybags may seem cheaper, but they have to be replaced every few years, and Mylar lasts essentially forever. But DON'T use Mylar sleeves that are open at the top. Use the 2-mil ones that have a closeable flap and tape them shut.

Putting an older comic in a Mylar is like giving your car a good waxing. It makes the comic look so much better. But due to their expense, I only use them on my older and/or more expensive books. Polybags for everything else (and yes, I have books that are in polybags over 20 years old.) :blush:

-slym

I have made the complete switch to Mylite2's.

All new books I buy go straight into a Mylite and halfback and as it comes time to rotate my bags I replace existing books with Mylites.

Are they more expensive than poly? Yes, but lets be honest here. We are paying $3-4 a book, is it really breaking the bank to pay another .25-.50 a book to protect it in a meaningful way?

I guess I just think it is being penny wise and pound foolish to use poly bags which will have to be replaced every 4-5 years, rather than Mylar which is essentially going to last forever, or at least a long damn time