• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvels (and maybe DCs) circa 1998 - 2000

13 posts in this topic

Like many I was totally out of the loop as to what was on the rack during this period, focusing solely on the vintage stuff.

I have the "opportunity" to pick up a bunch of these in nice shape (but not slab-worthy probably) 3 for $2. Obviously I don't see a ton of upside, not in the short-term at least, but would like to complete some patches I am missing, etc. so ASM, X-Men books and Wolverine are no brainers, as are those last few issues of Hulk in this period and if there's stuff like Ghost RIder and Deadpool and other low print-run stuff that would be good too.

What about the titles that were re-booted in 1998 like FF, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor? Putting aside the #1s that were printed en masse, what about the following issues in the re-boots? Are these considered "relatively" low print-run books like some of the Marvels that were not rebooted or were the numbers inflated for a bit? What about DCs circa 1998? Were those bottoming out too?

I think you've got the obvious ones knocked out. But the others don't seem worth it IMO.

FF and Thor seem really common (who knows with the Thor movie coming out though). With Iron Man, I think they got pretty low print runs in the middle, but I don't see a ton of desire for them. This is odd to me with the success of the two movies.

Cap might be worth it. Waid books. Cap Movie. #6 was hot for awhile (probably not now). If you can get them at the right price, I'd snag them.

The issues in 2001/2002 are probably most desirable. Maybe some in 2000.

Pat

I'll go over the group. I'm tending to agree that the FF books can't possibly be hard to find as Jim Lee was involved. I'm torn on Thor though, even though I think I picked up a set of these early ones already within the last 6 months. Dagnibit, I wish I actually kept a list of these things! I'm excited about the ASMs though....

What about the preview books Image put out in 1997/98 for some of their series, polybagged, $3.50...I can't remember which titles as none seemed to have gotten too far. Any scarcity to these or were they gobbled up en masse?

Any superhero stuff (at least the blue chip heros) from '98-02 is a very worthwhile gamble, IMO.

That's the one area in collecting I think you can say that supply is woefully inadequate if there is a spike in demand. Look ASM (I think) 431 and 432 (the Carnage / Surfer issues) or Hulk 8 (the Wolvy battle). Those aren't even really "keys" and they're legit $25 books. Then there are the Planet Joker DC's which seem to consistently be in the $30 range (or at least were for a while).

For something (relatively) new to gain that kind of momentum based on nothing but scarcity....I'm intrigued.

I'll go over the group. I'm tending to agree that the FF books can't possibly be hard to find as Jim Lee was involved. I'm torn on Thor though, even though I think I picked up a set of these early ones already within the last 6 months. Dagnibit, I wish I actually kept a list of these things! I'm excited about the ASMs though....

What about the preview books Image put out in 1997/98 for some of their series, polybagged, $3.50...I can't remember which titles as none seemed to have gotten too far. Any scarcity to these or were they gobbled up en masse?

I can't remember all of the previews, but I don't think they did all that well. The Danger Girl did okay for awhile. But not as much anymore.

Pat

Most books from Marvel in that era had low print runs. They were on the verge of bankruptcy and they supposedly only printed enough books to fill orders. Never having re-orders. If you go through the back issue bins of any LCS, the issues from that era are usually missing. For collectors of long running titles, they could prove troublesome to find, which in turn could eventually drive up the price as collectors try to complete their runs. I know I dropped out of collecting during that period and it took me a few years to find the missing ASM issues from that period (427-441)

Most books from Marvel in that era had low print runs. They were on the verge of bankruptcy and they supposedly only printed enough books to fill orders. Never having re-orders. If you go through the back issue bins of any LCS, the issues from that era are usually missing. For collectors of long running titles, they could prove troublesome to find, which in turn could eventually drive up the price as collectors try to complete their runs. I know I dropped out of collecting during that period and it took me a few years to find the missing ASM issues from that period (427-441)

Marvel had a stated 'no re-order' policy in the early Bill Jemas years.

Yes. I know. I was still buying X-Men at the time then I sold 'em circa 2001 and people were even back then fighting over them on eBay. Sold them too darn cheap as I didn't know about the low print run then :frustrated:

I didn't know at the time either. (shrug)

It was only a couple of years later that I heard that that particular segment of books often sold above cover on eBay.

rummaging through my boxes it seems that i was not totally out of the loop on these. i was not buying comics off the rack during this period, but my older brother was and he'd give them to me when he was done reading them. i hit a box of books I had apparently priced up for a local show I did in 1999 or thereabouts and there they were along with a nice run of Maxx's in the teens and 20s I had priced up at 75 cents each.