• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics your primary or secondary hobby? What are your other hobbies?

212 posts in this topic

Comics are really my only hobby.

I guess now my hobby is wedding planning. :blush: So, now I have no money for comics.

I always wanted a salt water tank, but knew of the cost and work involved. Me and a few buddies had a tank in college. Just were getting it started when someone knocked a lamp into the tank. That was basically the end of that.

One of these days, I'll probably get a little fresh water tank for my daughter. I want a turtle, but mommy says no way.

Me and a few buddies had a tank in college. Just were getting it started when someone knocked a lamp into the tank. That was basically the end of that.

It was really a bong wasn't it ? :eyeroll:

Me and a few buddies had a tank in college. Just were getting it started when someone knocked a lamp into the tank. That was basically the end of that.

A bong may have been involved in the incident, but I can assure you it did not fall into the tank.

Funny thing was, we had bought a piece of coral or an urchin or something. It wasn't doing well. After the "zapping", the thing sprung to life. The fish, however, went the opposite direction.

In the short month or two that we had the tank, I learned a few things about salt-water tanks:

1. They are very expensive

2. They are alot of work

3. Clown Fish must be bought together if you want more than one in your tank. Introducing a new clown fish is not good.

4. They are alot of work

5. They do not belong in a dorm room

Comics are definitely my primary hobby but I do have a few others. I don't really OA separate only because it's all under my "comic umbrella." :)

I used to be big into PC and console gaming. Now that I own a Mac, not much computer gaming. I'm also married with a toddler, not as much console gaming--though I do manage to play some (I have a Wii and an X-Box360).

I also really, really enjoy painting models, particularly Games Workshop models from the Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40,000, and the Lord of the Rings lines. While I used to paint models a little bit as a kid, I really picked this hobby up when I got into the Army--no idea why. I started playing WH, WH40k, and LOTR after going into a hobby store to buy some models to paint and saw people actually PLAYING games with their models and got hooked. Now, if anyone has every played a tabletop wargame, you know the amount of time these games can eat up. And being both married and a parent, well, let's just say I've played less than 5 games total (all systems combined) in the past 3 to 4 years. But I still paint on occasion when I get the chance.

th_MordorOrcCMDGroup.jpgth_DSCN6470.jpg

I'm also a fan of trains--O scale and HO scale.

th_photo.jpgth_photo-1.jpgth_DSCN6788.jpg

Lastly, I'm also working on writing professionally. No fiction or anything like that, but instead, mainly academic essays and analytical works on late-medieval English Romance, 19th-century American, and Comics. :)

Handbook of Medieval Studies

The Dictionary of Literary Characters

"The Fall of the House of Usher": Poe's Perverted Perspective on the Maimed King

Lastly, I'm also working on writing professionally. No fiction or anything like that, but instead, mainly academic essays and analytical works on late-medieval English Romance, 19th-century American, and Comics. :)

Man I can't imagine writing professionally, good for you! I've been working on my Master's Degree for awhile and I can tell you when I'm finished with that I won't want to ever write anything again!!!

A bong may have been involved in the incident, but I can assure you it did not fall into the tank.

Funny thing was, we had bought a piece of coral or an urchin or something. It wasn't doing well. After the "zapping", the thing sprung to life. The fish, however, went the opposite direction.

In the short month or two that we had the tank, I learned a few things about salt-water tanks:

1. They are very expensive

2. They are alot of work

3. Clown Fish must be bought together if you want more than one in your tank. Introducing a new clown fish is not good.

4. They are alot of work

5. They do not belong in a dorm room

1) 100% right! (thumbs u

2) usually 100% right until you get them dialed in, then you can sometimes go into cruise control for long periods

3) You can sometimes add a new clown but it MUST be the same species and a different sex. You CANNOT have an odd number unless it's 1. If you have an odd # over 1, the clowns will DEFINITELY pare it down for you overnight!

4) see above, the bigger the tank, the less work it is actually. Small tanks are actually harder

5) DEFINITELY not! lol

Man I can't imagine writing professionally, good for you! I've been working on my Master's Degree for awhile and I can tell you when I'm finished with that I won't want to ever write anything again!!!

What subject are you focusing on in your master's degree? I'm currently half-way through my doctoral coursework in English Lit (who'd have thunk it, right?-) I think writing for these projects is less stressful as I'm choosing to the work and it's on topics that I enjoy learning more about--not always the case with some of the grad work.

What subject are you focusing on in your master's degree? I'm currently half-way through my doctoral coursework in English Lit (who'd have thunk it, right?-) I think writing for these projects is less stressful as I'm choosing to the work and it's on topics that I enjoy learning more about--not always the case with some of the grad work.

My Master's will be in Emergency Management, I'm about 1/2 way through. I've considered working on my doctorate but WOW, lots of work (and money).

We can call you DR Mac Man soon!!!

Spending time with the kids is pretty much the only 'hobby' I get any kind of time with...good thing I love it so much!

Hobbies I have had recently include:

- Comics, of course

- Reading (mostly history and science)

- Actual historical research, re-enactment, and writing

- Community theater

- Travel

- Following baseball

- Vintage video game programming

Now I have two kids and bills I need a second job (a side business, really) to pay, so...hobbies are catch-as-catch-can pretty much. I'm told things do get better, at least time-wise.

"The Fall of the House of Usher": Poe's Perverted Perspective on the Maimed King

WOW! Those books are expensive! How much of a cut do you get?

When it comes to collectibles I collect evenly throughout.

I collect:

Jamaican coins

GI Joe figures 1982-1989

Comics

Silver Bullion

Non collecting hobbies =

Video games

My Master's will be in Emergency Management, I'm about 1/2 way through. I've considered working on my doctorate but WOW, lots of work (and money).

How does getting a doctorate require money?

Tuition?

Well, it's running me about $11,500 or so for 2010. meh

Students who go for the Ph.D. during the traditional fall / spring semesters often do get stipends in exchange for serving as GA/TAs. I'm doing my work in the summers and paying completely out of pocket for it as I teach full-time during the school year.

Holy :censored:!!!!

$769 for a textbook?!? That is freaking crazy :eek:

Not to mention over 2700 pages!!! That thing would be quite the workout reading, literally!!!

I remember having to read Churchills bio in college which was like 1300 pages. I dont think i've ever even seen a book with 2700 freaking pages?!?

??????? Have you seen how much those courses cost!!! Last time I looked into it it was like $750 a credit hour or $2250 per class X 12 classes (give or take). $27,000.00 estimated plus extras (for the degree I need) probably more for other degrees I'm sure.

But I'm sure it would be a good investment...

lol For the type of work I was doing, there is no pay for it. It's basically like how many artists are ghosts for the bigger name fellas out there doing much of their legwork. While it doesn't provide much tangible benefit, it gets you a lot of good experience and builds up your CV for when you want to step out on your own and take the lead on a project.

And those books are as expensive as they are because only libraries are purchasing them, so with such a limited publication, the publishers have to recoup costs through a higher sale price. "Handbook" and "Dictionary" are slight misnomers as these books are primarily for reference sections.

Comics are primary money wise, but I also collect movies(on DVD and Blu-ray these days, but I used to collect Super 8mm and 16mm). In order to watch those movies, I have a good audio/video system that includes a Denon Receiver, JBL speakers and a 1080p Sanyo projector. I also buy lobby cards and posters from time to time. I would love to collect classic cars, but I don't have the space or money for that unfortunately.