• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oh, yeah!

97 posts in this topic

BUT, I hasten to add, the picture posted above makes me extremely skeptical about this movie. I hate the look above, and hope it is only "working" costume and not the final product :wishluck:

There's a lot of bad buzz out there about this movie, because of this photo and behind the scenes rumors.

But I think everybody in this forum probably remembers the months leading up to Batman '89 very well. (some 2 decades ago though they were now, erk)

I agree with the sentiment that our superhero movies tend to get prejudged to a huge extent, sometimes based on very little. It's tough bringing the comic book world into a real life setting sometimes, but in general we're getting better at it.

my son was 5 when it came out. if you recall, a short little commercial hit the t.v. months and months before the movie premiered. it was the scene when the bat holds the baddie out over the roof edge, and the thug says, "don't kill me" or words to that effect. bat says "i'm not going to kill you--i want you to tell your friends about me." guy asks "who, who are you"?? keaton says----"i'm batman." my son saw that a hundred times before we went to the movie.

so the scene finally comes around. packed theater. everyone on the edge of their seats, cuz we're finally getting a good look at the main attraction. thug asks "who are you," and my son hollers out "I'M BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

he brought the house down. still a famous family story. movie-wise, second only to what he and his 18 mos. younger sister did at "warlock."

Please, please, please tell the "Warlock" story. :popcorn:

when the boy was @ 11, and his sister maybe 9 1/2, they were brought along to "warlock." tv commercials had some cool effects, and i didn't anticipate stuff i wouldn't let them see--had always been fairly liberal when it came to censoring their viewing. i might have been a bit TOO liberal this time, but i didn't know it 'til it was too late.

anyway, the warlock is in a bit of a jam, and needs to lay low. as i recall a hotel isnt in play, so he has to find private lodging. at some joint, he let's himself get picked up by a homosexual [not that there is anything wrong with that], and they head to the latter's home.

once there, the scene goes to the kitchen. there's a skillet heating up. the gay guy is fixing to cook. but while the skillet heats, he decides the time is right to kiss the warlock in a very wet way. i was starting to feel a bit awkward at this time, as the kids probably didn't know yet that some guys like to kiss other men. the embrace started off ok for the hom...eowner, but suddenly his eyes flew open in horror, and he tried to back off the smooch. the warlock wouldn't let him. finally the warlock pushed the other guy's head away, and it became clear pretty quickly that he had bitten his tongue off. just as quickly, he spit it into the now VERY hot skillet, and the tongue started jumping around in the pan crazily.

my children were at that age that kids don't whisper too well. while the theater sat in total silence as regards what just befell the poor bastich, my son said, pretty loudly: "the warlock just bit that man's tongue off!" my daughter responded, loudly, "and now he's cooking it!!!" lot's of laughs from the audience followed.

There's a tiny pic of cap in action in today's LA Times. Presumably a better version will surface soon, but this looks a little more promising:

Updated version: Thaaat's a little better. (thumbs u

captain-america-on-the-lam.jpg

Great pic!, thanks for sharing.

As for the costume I'm still not sold.

BUT, I hasten to add, the picture posted above makes me extremely skeptical about this movie. I hate the look above, and hope it is only "working" costume and not the final product :wishluck:

+1

Is the movie going to be set in the 1940s? If so, I can almost guarantee that the movie will be a flop. The teenagers who comprise the majority of the summer blockbuster audience don`t like anything that remotely smacks of history.

Is the movie going to be set in the 1940s?

edited to add, re the wisdom of the 40's setting -- The Cap, Iron Man, Avengers, and Thor movie are all in the same continuity. One presumes they want to do the 40's origin and then have him join Avengers in present day either at the end of his movie or at the beginning of Avengers movie (my speculation only).

Yes. Bunch of set photos, non-costume photos, misc:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/28/more-new-captain-america-images-now-with-added-bloke-from-the-hobbit/

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Captain-America-Movie-Set-Pics-with-Hayley-Atwell-Chris-Evans-and-Explosion/7477

goggles.jpg

captainamericaew.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics and links guys. I noticed the motorcycle looks like an authentic WWII Harley Davidson like the one in Cap 41. Note that the suicide shifter is on the left hand side. He also road Indians with the shifter on the right hand side. I wonder how many bikes were wrecked in the filming. Cap was never too careful and must have done a lot of maintenance at home.

5364100502_ff70287354_o.jpg2477961311_d783ef095b.jpg

captainamericaew.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics and links guys. I noticed the motorcycle looks like an authentic WWII Harley Davidson like the one in Cap 41. Note that the suicide shifter is on the left hand side. He also road Indians with the shifter on the right hand side. I wonder how many bikes were wrecked in the filming. Cap was never too careful and must have done a lot of maintenance at home. :preach:

5364100502_ff70287354_o.jpg2477961311_d783ef095b.jpg

I saw one in Brussels while visiting and met some British motorcycle enthusiasts in Brugge.

5363534827_f09ce9f19a.jpg

Of all of the upcoming comic movies, I'm looking most forward to this one. I just hope Johnston pulls it off. I think most of his movies(THE ROCKETEER, OCTOBER SKY, etc.) are pretty good. I even liked THE WOLFMAN because it captured the feel of the old gothic horror movies(even though the -script was a bit of a mess).

5364505838_3efdb22e3e_z.jpg

The bad guys, however, should have been riding something like the BMW R75. Note the horizontal design of the engine.

Same design is used today and the Harley still uses the V-twin but a lot of other things have changed.

disagree on the age of the actor--in fact, evans is probably older than the runt that drinks the potion in cap 1. disagree on the costume--i love it. this is a ww II soldier's uniform/costume we're talking about here. i love the way they've incorporated some of the prototypical cap stuff into utilitarian stuff in the finished product. i hope it changes not at all, and what we see here is what we see in the flick.

I'm with you. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

If any of you GA geeks have not read "The Ultimates" mini series (drawn by Brian Hitch) you should. It's a reboot of the Avengers with Cap wearing an "armour" like costume. All of the characters were rebooted with a more modern, realistic angle. I really enjoyed it and figure that it's the back drop to this cap that we see here.

Haven't read the Ultimates yet but I'm not a big fan of rebooting 70+ history because it can get way too confusing like what we see in DC [i don't even know how the writers can follow all the various scripts through out the years]. I am stoked about the Cap movie and while I'm a huge Thor fan some of the leaked preview stuff has me a bit dissapointed [like Thor smashing the Destroyer-c'mon that goes against 50-years of history and tradition]. Anyways I can't wait to see how these movies cross over with the Avengers, Iron Man, Sub-Mariner [fingers crossed], etc.

The truth is that at some point there needs to be some updating.

I found the Ultimates story line to be very satisfying. It was mature, felt real and offered a more realistic view of the Avengers compared to 1963 story telling.

I found the Ultimates story line to be very satisfying. It was mature, felt real and offered a more realistic view of the Avengers compared to 1963 story telling.

And Janet Van Dyne was a FREAK.

And Janet Van Dyne was a FREAK.

I thought the horny Hulk rampaging across NYC was a nice touch.

lol

Of all of the upcoming comic movies, I'm looking most forward to this one. I just hope Johnston pulls it off. I think most of his movies(THE ROCKETEER, OCTOBER SKY, etc.) are pretty good. I even liked THE WOLFMAN because it captured the feel of the old gothic horror movies(even though the -script was a bit of a mess).

You're absolutely right about the direction. The choice of directors looks like a pretty good fit to me too. OTOH, I suspect that the success or failure of Cap is going to hinge more on the screenwriting, Cap's costume, stuntwork/FX and the level of acting.

In spite of the photographs "leaking" out, I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's becoming increasingly difficult; here are a few personal observations based solely on we've seen thus far...

Subjectively speaking, the costume as depicted in these early(?) production photographs will probably disappoint a lot of folks on this forum. At least from my POV, if what we're seeing is the end result, I think that it's safe to say that S&K and Alex Schomburg's vision of Cap won't be leaping off the pages at a theater near you!

Marvel Studio seems to be shooting for "reality" at the expense of what made their great character fun.

The producers have apparently re-envisioned Cap to reach a wider audience, ...but if this is their vision, it fails in both inventiveness and grandeur. Instead of finding creative ways to capitalize on those visual elements that have made CA an iconic character for 70 years the film's producers are apparently shunning most and playing it safe, toning down Cap's colorful costume, turning it into a pale, grungy paratrooper's uniform.

Maybe I'm just being unfairly judgmental, but this attempt to bring CA to the screen has the unmistakeable aroma of a half-measured attempt to lure the non-comic reading mainstream audience. If so, I think that Marvel's ploy lacks vision.

Personally, I don't think that Captain America can be sold to a contemporary audience by simply taking away everything that made Cap such a unique, awe-inspiring comic character in the first place.

For instance, one is left to wonder why the conceptual producers couldn't have found creative ways to make highly iconic symbols such as Cap's ornamental "wings" into communication antennas wired into his helmet or some such. The painted decal (a rather silly and obvious homage to the original character) just doesn't cut it. Neither does Cap wearing sidearms, dingy brown chinstrap, gloves, belted boots, etc.

Do we really need the Marvel Studio version of Saving Private Ryan?

I'm beginning to think that Cap might've been better off if Tarrantino had been handed the project (at least we would've gotten the kind of over the top WWII combat and un-PC characterization that Timely manufactured during the war years with relish).

Granted, no movie version of Cap will please everyone, ...a low budget serial and more recent direct-to-video movie version of CA has borne witness to that... but as fans we should at least expect a modicum of reverence for this character from Marvel's own studio.

BTW, if my less-than-optimistic assessment gives rise to thoughts of selling off your golden age CA collections on the cusp of the "new improved" Cap's ominous film debut, hm ...hey, I'm just sayin'! :/:whistle: