• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much will your collection be worth in 10 years?

How much will your collection be worth on 3/23/14?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. How much will your collection be worth on 3/23/14?

81 posts in this topic

All you really need to do is pick up a stack of Overstreet Annuals and check the market reports.

I remember back in the late-70's, the GL/GA Adams books were hot, but by the mid-80's they were tough to give away and dropping in the OS. Sure, some may sell for a lot now in ultra-high grade, but you probably lost money (counting inflation) if you bought NM in the mid-70's and held them til today.

Basically anything that is ultra-hot soon after publication tends to either drop in value, or stagnate for long periods of time, and fall below the inflation rate. And that's assuming you even got the raw grade you bought at back then, and the books weren't restored.

Overstreet #6(1976-1977)Green Lantern 76-$7.50 in Fine,$10.00 in Mint.

Overstreet#9(1979-1980) GL76-$16.00 in Fine,$24 in Mint

Overstreet 33(2003) GL76-$63 in Fine,$275 in NM.

If you paid over guide in 1979 for a book that was overgraded,you might have dropped $30 for a book that now sells for $63 if it is only a fine.

If you paid guide for a mint book in 1979($24) and it grades out a 9.0,the book guides for $214.

It looks like you would beat inflation with either of these books. thumbsup2.gif

And what was the price in the mid-80's compared to the mid-70's?

I know the two sentences were in the same paragraph, but the first one dealt with GA/GL dropping in the mid-80's, while the second one was a more general "comic based" comment. thumbsup2.gif

Dont have any 80s guides with me.It was a co-inky dink that I happened to have those two.

Can tell you that when I had my store,GL 76 and the two drug issues were super hot,from 84 to 88 give or take a year. As quick as they came into the store,they were gone.Not much demand for the other Adams books but those three sold well,as did the Baxter reprints. Don't recall the prices, however I'm sure it was around guide.

Non-keys are already falling in price.

Do you have any examples of GA, SA, or BA comics (CGC or raw) consistently falling in price over a period of years? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC 9.6 or lower Amazing Spider-Mans in the 150s, 160s and 170s, since 2001. Please feel free to look up the GPA and post it. Further, please feel free to send me what I paid for those 9.6 Spider-Man books in 2002. I'll take 75%.

Let me see if I can get you to clarify your statement above. Are you saying you paid guide for "CGC" 9.6 or lower Amazing Spider-mans in the 150s-170s range in 2002 and now you say you couldn't sell them at a profit and would take 75% of guide? Or are you saying you waaaaay over-paid for the ASMs back in 2002 and would gladly take 75% of whatever you paid? 2002 is when the first movie came out and if you bought ASM comics at the top of that hype bubble you probably over-paid. I over-paid for an ASM #14 myself. I would suggest that you sell during the run up to the release of Spidey 2 to recoup some of your loses if you are really concerned about your ASM 150-170s continuing to loose value. IMHO over the long haul (like a decade from now) you will make money on those Spideys even if you over-paid for them back in 2002.

Do you have any examples of GA, SA, or BA comics (CGC or raw) consistently falling in price over a period of years?

I remember when many Gerber no-shows used to go for really crazy money. They've rebounded some, but still many don't go for the insane prices I used to see in the mid 1990's.

I don't know what a "Gerber no-show" is. confused-smiley-013.gif

All you really need to do is pick up a stack of Overstreet Annuals and check the market reports.

I remember back in the late-70's, the GL/GA Adams books were hot, but by the mid-80's they were tough to give away and dropping in the OS. Sure, some may sell for a lot now in ultra-high grade, but you probably lost money (counting inflation) if you bought NM in the mid-70's and held them til today.

Basically anything that is ultra-hot soon after publication tends to either drop in value, or stagnate for long periods of time, and fall below the inflation rate. And that's assuming you even got the raw grade you bought at back then, and the books weren't restored.

I don't collect GL/GA (Couldn't you compare them to the ASM #s 96-98 drug issues?), but if I did I would gladly pay 1980s prices NOW if I wanted to buy them instead of today's prices. I only collect HG Marvel Super-Hero stuff, but I am sure most people no matter what type of comic they collect would gladly pay 1980s prices instead of today's prices for their comics even if you factor in inflation. If I had the money then, that I do now, I would have bought a ton of Silver Age Marvel at those prices. cloud9.gif I remember looking at Mile High Comics ads when I was a youngster wishing I could afford to buy a copy of Fantastic Four #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15. Now I look at CGC prices on Ebay, ComicLink, and Heritage wishing I could afford the $100,000+ to get copies. HG copies are as much out of my reach now as they were when I was a kid.

Let me see if I can get you to clarify your statement above. Are you saying you paid guide for "CGC" 9.6 or lower Amazing Spider-mans in the 150s-170s range in 2002 and now you say you couldn't sell them at a profit and would take 75% of guide? Or are you saying you waaaaay over-paid for the ASMs back in 2002 and would gladly take 75% of whatever you paid?

I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Here's what Donut wrote, and it's pretty clear.

please feel free to send me what I paid for those 9.6 Spider-Man books in 2002. I'll take 75%

Do you have any examples of GA, SA, or BA comics (CGC or raw) consistently falling in price over a period of years? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC 9.6 or lower Amazing Spider-Mans in the 150s, 160s and 170s, since 2001. Please feel free to look up the GPA and post it. Further, please feel free to send me what I paid for those 9.6 Spider-Man books in 2002. I'll take 75%.

Let me see if I can get you to clarify your statement above. Are you saying you paid guide for "CGC" 9.6 or lower Amazing Spider-mans in the 150s-170s range in 2002 and now you say you couldn't sell them at a profit and would take 75% of guide? Or are you saying you waaaaay over-paid for the ASMs back in 2002 and would gladly take 75% of whatever you paid? 2002 is when the first movie came out and if you bought ASM comics at the top of that hype bubble you probably over-paid. I over-paid for an ASM #14 myself. I would suggest that you sell during the run up to the release of Spidey 2 to recoup some of your loses if you are really concerned about your ASM 150-170s continuing to loose value. IMHO over the long haul (like a decade from now) you will make money on those Spideys even if you over-paid for them back in 2002.

I paid huge sums of money for CGC graded 9.6 Amazing Spider-Mans in the summer of 2002, and those books now sell for 80% less than what I paid for them. I was stupid and paid too much. I do not believe the prices on those books will get back to what I paid for them two years ago, as the census numbers continue to rise, and 9.8s continue to populate the census.

Guide is irrelevant, actual sales prices for slabbed 9.6 or better common post-1975 books (Spideys, Miller DD's, Wolverine Mini-series, Spawn, etc.,.) "crashed" in '02. For example, I believe a 9.8 Spawn #1 sold for like $800 in '01!?!? Any 9.6/9.8 mainstream superhero book sold for a lot more back in '01 and early '02 than they do today.

However, the good stuff has remained pretty stable since then, and record prices continue to be set for the really good stuff.

I paid huge sums of money for CGC graded 9.6 Amazing Spider-Mans in the summer of 2002, and those books now sell for 80% less than what I paid for them. I was stupid and paid too much. I do not believe the prices on those books will get back to what I paid for them two years ago, as the census numbers continue to rise, and 9.8s continue to populate the census.

Can you give an example of what you paid so we know what you are talking about? I will understand if it is too painful. I paid $3,000 for ASM #14 CGC 9.0 a month or so before Spidey movie in 2002. I am hoping in a few more years it will be worth what I paid for it.

Guide is irrelevant, actual sales prices for slabbed 9.6 or better common post-1975 books (Spideys, Miller DD's, Wolverine Mini-series, Spawn, etc.,.) "crashed" in '02. For example, I believe a 9.8 Spawn #1 sold for like $800 in '01!?!? Any 9.6/9.8 mainstream superhero book sold for a lot more back in '01 and early '02 than they do today.

However, the good stuff has remained pretty stable since then, and record prices continue to be set for the really good stuff.

I gave away 2 long boxes of Spawn #s 1-21 which were all NM to my nephews back in 2002. I don't think Spawn will ever recover, but Spideys, Miller DDs and Wolverine Mini will IMHO.

I gave away 2 long boxes of Spawn #s 1-21 which were all NM to my nephews back in 2002. I don't think Spawn will ever recover, but Spideys, Miller DDs and Wolverine Mini will IMHO.

Possibly...I did take a peek at GPA, and curiously enough the Spideys I looked at (issues in the 170's in 9.4/9.6) are currently selling at or above the levels they were selling for in July of '02. Unfortunately, GPA data doesn't go any farther back than that, which means it doesn't cover the "crash" that occurred for these books in the 1st half of '02. Here's some hard data for a run of X-men I sold in August of '01 though...

X-men 94 CGC 9.2 NM- $677.00

X-men 97 CGC 9.4 NM $150.00

X-men 98 CGC 9.0 VF/NM $70.00

X-men 102 CGC 9.2 NM- $71.00

X-men 108 CGC 9.0 VF/NM $60.00

X-men 109 CGC 9.4 NM $112.50

X-men 110 CGC 9.4 NM $71.00

X-men 111 CGC 9.6 NM+ $173.00

X-men 112 CGC 9.6 NM+ $248.00

X-men 115 CGC 9.6 NM+ $168.00

X-men 115 CGC 9.6 NM+ $183.00

X-men 117 CGC 9.6 NM+ $201.00

X-men 118 CGC 9.6 NM+ $80.00

X-men 119 CGC 9.6 NM+ $118.00

X-men 122 CGC 9.0 VF/NM $71.00

X-men 123 CGC 9.4 NM $51.00

X-men 124 CGC 9.6 NM+ $104.00

X-men 124 CGC 9.6 NM+ $71.00

X-men 126 CGC 9.6 NM+ $88.00

X-men 129 CGC 9.4 NM $113.00

X-men 130 CGC 9.4 NM $77.00

X-men 131 CGC 9.2 NM- $30.00

X-men 133 CGC 9.6 NM+ $67.00

X-men 133 CGC 9.6 NM+ $96.00

X-men 134 CGC 9.2 NM- $47.00

X-men 135 CGC 9.8 NM/MT $250.00

X-men 136 CGC 9.6 NM+ $76.00

X-men 137 CGC 9.4 NM $61.00

X-men 138 CGC 9.4 NM $41.00

X-men 141 CGC 9.2 NM- $43.00

X-men 94 CGC 9.2 NM- $677.00

Thanks for the info.

thumbsup2.gif

I bet you could get at least 10-15% more on most of those comics today. An Xmen #94 9.0 goes for about $650 nowadays so I assume a CGC 9.2 goes for $900-$1,000 which would be a lot more than the $677 you sold your CGC 9.2 for back in 2001.

Can you give an example of what you paid so we know what you are talking about? I will understand if it is too painful. I paid $3,000 for ASM #14 CGC 9.0 a month or so before Spidey movie in 2002. I am hoping in a few more years it will be worth what I paid for it.

$150 for Amazing Spider-Man 159 in 9.6 crazy.gif

$150 for Amazing Spider-Man 161 in 9.6 confused.gif

$175 for Amazing Spider-Man 162 in 9.6 893whatthe.gif

I admit freely that I was stupid and paid too much for these books. I am holding off on Fantastic Fours in 9.6, as I see the same pattern happening. The jacked up prices brings high grade books out and the prices crash.

Again, books that have all of these criteria have had their prices crash:

1) post-1966

2) 9.6 or below

3) "common" non-key issues

4) relatively common books.

Your ASM 14 doesn't meet those criteria.

Well, I checked GPA on these and there's some good news, and some bad news. The good news is that those are probably nice copies, and the bad news is obvious!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I admit freely that I was stupid and paid too much for these books. I am holding off on Fantastic Fours in 9.6, as I see the same pattern happening. The jacked up prices brings high grade books out and the prices crash.

Again, books that have all of these criteria have had their prices crash:

1) post-1966

2) 9.6 or below

3) "common" non-key issues

4) relatively common books.

Your ASM 14 doesn't meet those criteria.

Ouch! In hindsight you over-paid in 2001, but I suspect within the next five years those books will be worth what you paid and probably more than what you paid. Isn't an early Punisher or Nightcrawler in one or more of those issues?

I don't know what a "Gerber no-show" is.

A "Gerber no-show" or as some call them "unseen gold" are GA books Gerber couldn't get a picture of for his Photo Journal.

An famous example would be Flash 56 or (one of the most popular ones) Catman 13.

I admit freely that I was stupid and paid too much for these books.

June 02 I paid $59 for #159 in 9.6. (That was certainly one hell of a drop).

To show that I have empathy and because most people on these boards don't like to admit that they [!@#%^&^] up. Here is one of mine..........

ASM #194 9.6 $190.50. Damn that Black Cat..........what was I thinking. 893frustrated.gif