• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is a better deal on Heritage? Batman #1 @1.0 or Batman #1 @3.5?

40 posts in this topic

off white pages but cover split 1.0 - I would go with that one. brittle pages are one step away from dust.
actuall, not true or even likely...could just be one little corner that is brittle, etc (thumbs u

off white pages but cover split 1.0 - I would go with that one. brittle pages are one step away from dust.
actuall, not true or even likely...could just be one little corner that is brittle, etc (thumbs u
aye, but there is no way to determine the extent short of de-slabbing, so a book that says "brittle pages" on the label causes me to go with worst case scenario, and pass.

I'm probably just being a smart for mentioning (as I'm sure everyone already is aware) but the 3.5 Bat 1 on HA has "slightly brittle" not straight brittle pages so it is very likely (as gator said) that only a section (spine, edges) etc. is brittle. Or, yes perhaps the whole book is "slightly" brittle etc.

hm

I would pass on both (which is exactly what I am doing). The 1.0 is pretty ugly (but not as ugly as other 1.0 books I have seen) and I suspect the price will be pretty high on it as someone will chase it hard to own an unrestored Batman 1 regardless of what it looks like. The 3.0 could have more trouble being sold since there is a reasonable number of collectors that avoid brittle pages. It is hard to know what the pages are really like, but given my experience with CGCs page notation, I wouldn't chance it.

off white pages but cover (thumbs usplit 1.0 - I would go with that one. brittle pages are one step away from dust.
aye, but there is no way to determine the extent short of de-slabbing, so a book that says "brittle pages" on the label causes me to go with worst case scenario, and pass.

The 3.0 could have more trouble being sold since there is a reasonable number of collectors that avoid brittle pages. It is hard to know what the pages are really like, but given my experience with CGCs page notation, I would chance it.

You'd chance it with whose ten grand? I'd call ahead to CGC and find out what's in the grader's notes.

The 3.0 could have more trouble being sold since there is a reasonable number of collectors that avoid brittle pages. It is hard to know what the pages are really like, but given my experience with CGCs page notation, I would chance it.

You'd chance it with whose ten grand? I'd call ahead to CGC and find out what's in the grader's notes.

I meant wouldn't, even with graders notes. I've seen light tan to off with designation on brittle paged books. I will edit my comment to fix that. Thanks for the catch

+1. Brittle Pages is a real warning sign especially when you've owned a book that had the cover break off (Vault of Horror 27) when you opened it. I stay clear of that now.

no doubt every book is diffferent ,and we all know how "generic and general" the PQ designation from cgc can be...

having had dozens of books cracked that were brittle and slightly brittle, I can say in every situation none were even remotely close to "dust"...in fact, I would say 98% + of the pages were as solid as any cr/ow designation, and in some cases better (and in one case, it was worse)...

so, you really do need to inspect, to know (thumbs u

no doubt every book is diffferent ,and we all know how "generic and general" the PQ designation from cgc can be...

having had dozens of books cracked that were brittle and slightly brittle, I can say in every situation none were even remotely close to "dust"...in fact, I would say 98% + of the pages were as solid as any cr/ow designation, and in some cases better (and in one case, it was worse)...

Thanks, Gator. That's good to know. Is brittle the bottom of page quality designation?

Thanks, Gator. That's good to know. Is brittle the bottom of page quality designation?

brittle is bottom... now, there are certainly comics where the majority of pages are brittle...you really have to see the book raw to determine level (thumbs u

Speaking of dust how about Jerry Robinson's copy of Tec #31 in the upcoming Heritage auction. That copy should have a designation of "brittle dust" for PQ. Yikes. :o

One of them is off white pages but cover split 1.0 and the other is 3.5 but pages are brittle. Which REALLY is the better value?

Prior to CGC I compared books with split covers and slightly brittle pages and would've considered these about equal. Might still consider them equal despite the number difference because they both present pretty well. Not really sure why slightly brittle is as much a worry to people when it's a book they don't plan to take out of the case anyway (and since all books will eventually be brittle and all books can likewise be restored to supple when that time eventually comes). But to each his own. They are both highly desirable because they are Batman 1s in addition to containing first appearances of two household name villains