• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, Webhead2018 said:

So had inker Kevin Conrad take a gray line scan copy of a 9x12 jrjr hobgoblin head sketch. I got a few months back. He blew it up to 11x17 to ink and add finishing to it and background and he totally killed it. I will be picking this up in and few weeks at first con of the year for me. Here original and the finished result Kevin did.

Kevin produced a work of art! That looks terrific. I picked up one of his commissions secondhand last year. I'm not generally crazy about the "hot pants" version of Illyana with the Cloud Strife sword, but this one was too keen to pass.

0O6x20V3_200921121824lola.thumb.jpg.496d4970611de6f09bf608ba7ce8902c.jpg

On 3/12/2022 at 1:40 PM, ▫️ said:

Update: Ken Kelly has stopped responding to me in regard to my Frazetta recreation. If anyone has any experience with artists taking your money and not delivering, please PM me. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1773237

Tried the Comic beer beware page on FB? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1037885522982765

On 2/27/2022 at 6:51 AM, Andahaion said:

Eowyn by Priscilla Petraites.  11" x 17" ink on paper.

I first took notice of Ms. Petraites work when I saw an amazing Wonder Woman piece posted somewhere online. It had a great sense of action, and of interest to me, atmosphere. So, I reached out to her to inquire about a commission and once her list opened up I jumped at the chance. I offered her several ideas and she decided on her take of Eowyn from Lord of the Rings, one of my favorite characters.

And for those interested, this would certainly qualify for the Morlock collecting thread, good value here in my opinion.  The commission process took a little longer than expected, which is fine, but also just an FYI for those interested.  Placed the commission in July 2021, and art was delivered this week.  I only mention this as the artist didn't manage expectations very well.  She initially said I'd have the art in "a couple weeks".  It's all good though, she was very responsive whenever I checked in.  I would recommend.  

Priscilla Petraites - Eowyn Commission.jpg

This is a very nice piece, but it does irk me when artists grossly misrepresent a timeframe. 

I'm all for being patient and having good faith. You know what I value even more than those things? Honesty and good communication.

If an artist tells me it's going to take six months, I won't worry because I know they are busy... But when an artist tells me within a month and there's radio silence until I reach out to them three months later? I'm less likely to recommend this artist, regardless of how good the piece turns out.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:48 PM, babsrocks31 said:

This is a very nice piece, but it does irk me when artists grossly misrepresent a timeframe. 

I'm all for being patient and having good faith. You know what I value even more than those things? Honesty and good communication.

If an artist tells me it's going to take six months, I won't worry because I know they are busy... But when an artist tells me within a month and there's radio silence until I reach out to them three months later? I'm less likely to recommend this artist, regardless of how good the piece turns out.

Grade A: Delivers the piece within the agreed time frame.

Grade B: Piece is delayed, but artist takes the initiative to communicate the delay to the client.

Grade C: Piece is delayed, and artist responds when the client reaches out to inquire.

Grade D: Piece is delayed, and artist is slow to respond or requires multiple attempts before giving a response, but does eventually produce the piece.

Grade F: Artist only produces the piece or a refund when threatened with legal action, bad press online, etc.

Grade F minus: Artist exacts revenge in the form of a sabotaged commission.

We could probably make a similar grading scale for how annoying clients can be. Asking for redraws, badgering the artist, trying to make the relationship more than it is, underpayment, etc.