• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Commission Collecting Thread
15 15

2,868 posts in this topic

Surely many of you watched the Darkwing Duck cartoon and some of you probably read the comics - at least, I hope so. :)

James Silvani drew most appearances of Darkwing in comics and he was willing to take on a commission for me. As usual, I arranged the price and subject and Kathy pulls the trigger and passes them to me on my birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas. I knew that she worked well ahead, but she’s had this one for about 2 years! :)

Check it out. Click for a bigger image.

Siviani, James - Sugar and Spike 100 cover featureing Darkwing Duck.jpeg

New Art Day on the New Year - Ironwolf by Howard Victor Chaykin

I first encountered Howard's work in the 70s with Ironwolf being the story that most captured by my imagination. I followed through Cody Starbuck, Scorpion, Dominic Fortune, and eventually American Flagg! which was interrupted by my roughly 10 year hiatus.Despite the time, Ironwolf has stuck with me and Howard kindly agreed to provide a "cover" for the series.I've never seen pages from the original series in the open market. Still this image scratches a long standing itch. Thanks for the painless transaction, Howard, and the wonderful image. 

image.thumb.jpeg.53e94d9f6d8c7fdf1690b8b8f7163241.jpeg

On 12/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, Blastaar said:

Moved over… :) 

I like Mike Hoffman. I think he is unfairly criticized. When I purchased the artist edition of Tarzan and decided to display it I was looking for some nice OA to make it pop. Since I’m not in the market to pick up a Frazetta, I picked up the phone and reached out to Mike. Nothing wrong with copying a style if you do it justice. And he most certainly does.

If I may ask, why is he criticized? I like his style - and I don't usually do commissions, but he's on my list to have one done. I really dig his work.

On 1/13/2023 at 6:32 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 12/2/2022 at 10:29 PM, Blastaar said:

Moved over… :) 

I like Mike Hoffman. I think he is unfairly criticized. When I purchased the artist edition of Tarzan and decided to display it I was looking for some nice OA to make it pop. Since I’m not in the market to pick up a Frazetta, I picked up the phone and reached out to Mike. Nothing wrong with copying a style if you do it justice. And he most certainly does.

If I may ask, why is he criticized? I like his style - and I don't usually do commissions, but he's on my list to have one done. I really dig his work.

I think people just believe there's a rule that Frazetta can be an influence but not THAT much of an influence.  Anyway, I noticed that piece on Dueling Dealers 102.  Tom Grindberg doesn't receive that criticism.  He's demonstrated a strong Neal Adams influence and shifted to a strong Frazetta influence.

I wish Hoffman's sketches on ebay were a little more finished.  I have 2 of his inked / watercolored pieces and a large page from one of his stories.

Edited by Will_K

I received the next addition to my Fighting Fantasy illustration homage collection with this 11” x 17” commission by Johnny Segura of John Blanche’s satyrs drawing from 1985’s The Crown of Kings:

1F1C240D-7172-455B-9946-95C45F3112AB.jpeg

Here’s the original version by John Blanche:

88D66615-91A2-4F31-B00F-3830A4447ADE.jpeg

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel