• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY TOP 10 FAVORITE SUPER HEROES

104 posts in this topic

1. Black Panther

2. Colossus

3. Thor

4. Nightcrawler

5. Shang Chi

6. Moon Knight

7. Mister Fantastic

8. Luke Cage

9. Spiderman

10. Batman

honorable Mentions:

Puck, Thing, Shaman, Banshee, Firestorm

1. Hellblazer

2. Batman

3. Wolverine

4. Conan

5. MoonKnight

6. Spiderman

7. Punisher

8. Nick Fury

9. Daredevil

10. Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)

Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke is a bad guy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In order of preference and a comment ot two:

1) Iron Man - Underrated and could have been a flagship character IMO. He started out gray, clumsy and ugly, then yellow and clumsily-looking funky, but was drastically improved with the then-newer look seen in the TOS starting around # 62. I once read where Stan Lee admitted that he was "rushed" with this character to get him on the "roster" before a competitor did. That "rush" cost Shellhead dearly IMO. Tony Stark is hard to "identify" with younger readers. Support cast a little weak.

2) Silver Surfer - Underrated and not handled well IMO - Stan Lee stopped that series after the first 18 Issues for a reason - I hear all kinds of "reasons" but let's face it - he is still a great supporting character for the FF and should have been THE flagship Marvel character. For Lee to stop that first series should have told Comicdom something and I think it was this: More weak support cast and too much angst and Surfer rarely "won" in the long( short) run. The original premise of Zenn-La was sound, but for some reason was not fully developed into what it could have been. Although Norrin Radd is easy to accept and can be identified with, it is of course hard to identify and continually like someone that is always trapped. Some of the villains he faced were very lame. However, Galactus, Mephisto and the Stranger were great and rank very high. If done right, a Silver Surfer movie would propel this character into the mainstream and he would be a real formidable contender.

3) Spider-Man - the all-time leader and Flagship character of the latter-day Super-hero. Spidey is perched on the top for some time to come. Stan Lee cleverly overcame all the reasons for this superhero but the ability to identify with the teenage angst of Peter Parker made Spidey popular immediately by default. Plus he had the most unique villains. Superior support cast and survived the Gwen Stacy death "backlash". Changed directions some and still climbed to the top. I don't see anyone knocking him off that lofty perch. Do you?

4) Mr. Fantastic - Underrated and the "brains" behind that team. Actually could do more physically and his power is underestimated. Doctor Doom is probably one if not THE best villain of all Marveldom. The Baxter Building and all the gadgetry hard to identify with but the downplay of those two items paid off.

5) Thor - Almost unbeatable but Stan Lee did a better job than given credit for for putting Thor in some tough spots. A great title that went month-to-month and never really knew how Thor would get out of some of those spots. Support cast a little lame, but the villain cast was somewhat underrated and often overlooked.

6) Captain America - Red Skull villain just about the perfect "match" for this hero. No other hero/villain fits this well. Went through some changes and was done smoothly. The Falcon a little lame.

7) Subby - Physical appearance was improved w/ blue uniform but needed this sooner to save this character. Lady Dorma very lame. Almost non-existant support cast and lacked a sense of direction. Another character that could have been done better IMO.

8) Hulk - Still unique in his own way. Changed directions fairly well and survived tough competition. Average support cast.

9) Daredevil - probably THE underrated series of all Marveldom. despite brilliant production by writers and artists, DD is still a hit-or-miss character with severe ups and downs. Support cast superior versus most other titles. Just barely edges out Spidey's support cast.

10) Mrs. Fantastic - Vastly underrated with spherical projection powers and has shown in rare instances the ability to defend against the most powerful foes. I always thought that as the female of the group, to keep the appeal to the younger male audience targeted, she had to be downsized. For her to whup on tough guys would have damaged that series' credibility at that time.

Honorable Mentions: Vision, Superman, Batman. Vision had to be a hard character to develop but was done well. What else can I add about Superman and Batman? They dominated the TV and Saturday cartoons where Spidey and FF was sort of a coattail add-ons that did lag behind the two DC flagship characters.

Superman was a stroke of genius at that time. Batman also unique, and actually had the better villains.

hi.gif

CAL

Most of my favorite comic characters aren't superheros, but here goes:

Hangman

Batman

Mon-el

Wolverine

Capt. Marvel (the SHAZAM one)

Supergirl

Black Terror

Action Girl

Fruitman

Air Boy

4) Mr. Fantastic - Underrated and the "brains" behind that team. Actually could do more physically and his power is underestimated. Doctor Doom is probably one if not THE best villain of all Marveldom. The Baxter Building and all the gadgetry hard to identify with but the downplay of those two items paid off.

Couldn't agree with you more about Reed Richards. He has so much untapped potential, both as a character and also as a physical combatant.

5) Thor - Almost unbeatable but Stan Lee did a better job than given credit for for putting Thor in some tough spots. A great title that went month-to-month and never really knew how Thor would get out of some of those spots. Support cast a little lame, but the villain cast was somewhat underrated and often overlooked.

I think they should have focused more on the mythological aspect of Thor in the stories. Send him back to Asgard for most of his adventures for a longer period of time, like they did when Simonson did his second tenure on Thor starting with #337. I disagree that Thor's supporting cast is lame. Thor has one of the best supporting casts in all of comics, but they just don't fit in with modern day Earth because they are Asgardians.

9) Daredevil - probably THE underrated series of all Marveldom. despite brilliant production by writers and artists, DD is still a hit-or-miss character with severe ups and downs. Support cast superior versus most other titles. Just barely edges out Spidey's support cast.

When Frank Miller does Daredevil, no other series in the world is more fun for me. If DD's supporting cast consisted only of Turk and the Kingpin, it would still rate among the top supporting casts of all. Bendis is no Miller as far as DD is concerned, but if Miller won't write DD then Bendis is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

10) Mrs. Fantastic - Vastly underrated with spherical projection powers and has shown in rare instances the ability to defend against the most powerful foes. I always thought that as the female of the group, to keep the appeal to the younger male audience targeted, she had to be downsized. For her to whup on tough guys would have damaged that series' credibility at that time.

Mark Waid commented recently (through Dr. Doom) that he thought Sue Storm was the most powerful member of the FF. I think he's right, and she's been historically underused. The question I have is, isn't that sort of her personality sometimes though? She has been treated so inconsistently by past writers, some of whom view and portray her as a mousy Stepford wife (Stan Lee being the worst offender here), and others who view and portray her as a very strong woman (Byrne and Waid). With more consistency in her treatment, I think she has some real room to grow as a character, which is amazing considering that her character was created more than 40 years ago. 893whatthe.gif

1) Iron Man - Underrated and could have been a flagship character IMO. He started out gray, clumsy and ugly, then yellow and clumsily-looking funky, but was drastically improved with the then-newer look seen in the TOS starting around # 62. I once read where Stan Lee admitted that he was "rushed" with this character to get him on the "roster" before a competitor did. That "rush" cost Shellhead dearly IMO. Tony Stark is hard to "identify" with younger readers. Support cast a little weak.

2) Silver Surfer - Underrated and not handled well IMO - Stan Lee stopped that series after the first 18 Issues for a reason - I hear all kinds of "reasons" but let's face it - he is still a great supporting character for the FF and should have been THE flagship Marvel character. For Lee to stop that first series should have told Comicdom something and I think it was this: More weak support cast and too much angst and Surfer rarely "won" in the long( short) run. The original premise of Zenn-La was sound, but for some reason was not fully developed into what it could have been. Although Norrin Radd is easy to accept and can be identified with, it is of course hard to identify and continually like someone that is always trapped. Some of the villains he faced were very lame. However, Galactus, Mephisto and the Stranger were great and rank very high. If done right, a Silver Surfer movie would propel this character into the mainstream and he would be a real formidable contender.

3) Spider-Man - the all-time leader and Flagship character of the latter-day Super-hero. Spidey is perched on the top for some time to come. Stan Lee cleverly overcame all the reasons for this superhero but the ability to identify with the teenage angst of Peter Parker made Spidey popular immediately by default. Plus he had the most unique villains. Superior support cast and survived the Gwen Stacy death "backlash". Changed directions some and still climbed to the top. I don't see anyone knocking him off that lofty perch. Do you?

6) Captain America - Red Skull villain just about the perfect "match" for this hero. No other hero/villain fits this well. Went through some changes and was done smoothly. The Falcon a little lame.

7) Subby - Physical appearance was improved w/ blue uniform but needed this sooner to save this character. Lady Dorma very lame. Almost non-existant support cast and lacked a sense of direction. Another character that could have been done better IMO.

8) Hulk - Still unique in his own way. Changed directions fairly well and survived tough competition. Average support cast.

Honorable Mentions: Vision, Superman, Batman. Vision had to be a hard character to develop but was done well. What else can I add about Superman and Batman? They dominated the TV and Saturday cartoons where Spidey and FF was sort of a coattail add-ons that did lag behind the two DC flagship characters.

Superman was a stroke of genius at that time. Batman also unique, and actually had the better villains.

hi.gif

CAL

15_10_4.gif Somebody get him a DC comic fast - the Zombieitis is setting in. tongue.gif

1. Black Panther

2. Colossus

3. Thor

4. Nightcrawler

5. Shang Chi

6. Moon Knight

7. Mister Fantastic

8. Luke Cage

9. Spiderman

10. Batman

honorable Mentions:

Well done sir. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my list:

Spider-Man

Shang Chi, The Master Of Kung Fu

Iron Fist

Thor

The Thing

Hawkeye

Wolverine

Dr. Strange

The Beast (furry)

Captain America

1. Black Panther

2. Colossus

3. Thor

4. Nightcrawler

5. Shang Chi

6. Moon Knight

7. Mister Fantastic

8. Luke Cage

9. Spiderman

10. Batman

honorable Mentions:

Well done sir. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my list:

Spider-Man

Shang Chi, The Master Of Kung Fu

Iron Fist

Thor

The Thing

Hawkeye

Wolverine

Dr. Strange

The Beast (furry)

Captain America

thumbsup2.gif

1. Captain Carrot

2. Captain Pureheart

3. Forbush-Man

4. Original Red Tornado

5. 'Mazing 'Man

6. Rocky Raccoon

7. Peter Porker

8. Hong Kong Phooey

9. Ralph Snart

10. H.E.R.B.I.E the robot

Not sure how this thread is defining "superhero", so I will take some liberties with my list.

1. Batman (without Robin sumo.gif)

2. Hellboy

3. The Punisher

4. Usagi Yojimbo

5. The Hulk

6. Jonah Hex

7. Ghost Rider

8. The Atomic Rage

9. Thor (by Simonson)

10.The Spectre