• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch Cover Pros

60 posts in this topic

Well looking at WD I would guess 1,000 copies given The Ultimate Comics version. We would also have to pay for an approved cover artist.

I'm not initially concerned with making my $$ back but more to learn the ropes and be part of the opportunity. WD 100 would be very nice and is far enough off that it should be a possibility.

Anyone want to start taking names of who wants to be involved and then start a group PM??

If its a WD blank with a good cover stock then I would like to be included. I would like to see the cost breakdown before I commit to a $ amount. :popcorn:

If you're asking about what paper stock to use, I don't have the exact technical terms but so far, the best cover stock for sketching and coloring are those such as marvel projects 1

Blank, avengers 1 1st print blank and x men 1 blank. :)

I am gonna have Larry get an X-Men #1 and do paper of similar style and quality I think. Any more specific info or other suggestions would be appreciated. I got most blanks I have felt them all and looked them over, but as yet have gotten anything done on them. I guess I will see what they look like soon.

The best stock you can go with would be bristol board. Ka-Blam digital printing uses Strathmore 400 series bristol. Takes pencil and ink very well.

http://ka-blam.com/printing/front/?p=436

If you're asking about what paper stock to use, I don't have the exact technical terms but so far, the best cover stock for sketching and coloring are those such as marvel projects 1

I am gonna have Larry get an X-Men #1 and do paper of similar style and quality I think. Any more specific info or other suggestions would be appreciated. I got most blanks I have felt them all and looked them over, but as yet have gotten anything done on them. I guess I will see what they look like soon.

If you are able to get anywhere with this, it would be nice if you could get a sample of the cover stock they intend to use, because I don't think you can tell the "good" stock from the "bad" stock other than to try it out. The cover stock on all the recent blanks from Marvel looks just like X-Men #1, but won't work well with colors.

The best stock you can go with would be bristol board. Ka-Blam digital printing uses Strathmore 400 series bristol. Takes pencil and ink very well.

This is available, and what I will go with for my Red Angel blanks, unless anyone has a better idea or experience that says this is not a good paper stock to use.

Thanks for the advice, JM

This is available, and what I will go with for my Red Angel blanks, unless anyone has a better idea or experience that says this is not a good paper stock to use.

Thanks for the advice, JM

Well, bristol is the same paper that many artists use as their artboards when making their comics. I know it's the stock I use when getting commissions done.

Also, it was the same stock we used on the Deaf Mute Comics blank last year and one of our very own board artists, Bill Dinh, claimed that it was the best sketch cover he had worked on.

I have worked on a few exclusives from a production stand point. I am currently working on one for the KC Con, but not sure if it is going to work now that we have gotten the green light to proceed (time constraints).

Publishers are bound by the ability to use only certain types of paper when making the covers. I know this from talking to retailers that have produced blank covers.

The argument could be made that deafmutt comics made their own comics with fantastic cover stock, so every other company should be able to, but they simply aren't able, which is sad...

I know from talking with a few retailer friends of mine that their is a distinct possiblity you will see a Walking Dead blank sometime soon...

deafmutt comics made their own comics with fantastic cover stock

Two points... 1) Wasn't cheap AT ALL to do and we provided the content (read that as not having to pay a Publisher such as Image for the content in the book)

And

2) We used a custom printer to get the quality we did, not Ka-Blam, on the ones we took to C2E2, which I think JJ is using as the yard stick. I don't think any of the large publishers would be willing to do that. They will have contracts in place with their printers and most likely are limited to cover stock options because of that.