• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper/Modern Uptick..?

52 posts in this topic

So, I peruse the WTB section every day, just to see what people are buying. For most of the last several years, the focus has been on Silver Age keys, then Bronze keys, Artist books, GA, etc.

Copper/Modern WTB requests have been scarce to impossible to find, outside of the usual Walking Dead type requests.

In the last, oh, 3 months or so, however, I've noticed a significant upsurge in requests for these books. Right now, on the first page of 25 threads, there are 14...or nearly 60%...asking for Copper/Modern books.

hm

Does this mean folks have finally been priced out of the Silver Market, and are now turning to 80's/90's books...? Are folks tired of the ongoing three year downward slope of the ultra high grade Bronze market...?

Interesting.

Rule of 25. (thumbs u

Awful broad range of material for the rule of 25. Besides, ultra high grade Coppers have plummeted in value since 2008. I don't doubt this accounts for some of it, but it's a relatively confined period of time (the last 3 months.)

I'm not sure what the Rule of 25 is, but perhaps we're just getting more and more new members, most of whom are younger and not yet interested in those "old" books or don't have the money to chase them even if they had the interest?

But just in the last 3 months or so...? hm

I'm not sure what the Rule of 25 is, but perhaps we're just getting more and more new members, most of whom are younger and not yet interested in those "old" books or don't have the money to chase them even if they had the interest?

That's the "Rule of 25" in a nutshell.

"Rule of 25" = what is "hot" and "collectible" is what was "hot" and "popular" 25 years previously. Somebody who is 38 with cash was 13 in 1986, and is looking to rebuy his/her youth. A broad generalization, yes, but applies 99.9% of the time.

The corollary is the "Rule of 75", which holds that things die out (unless they've been refreshed) 75 years after they were "hot". See stamps. See postcards. In our little world, Famous Funnies, King Comics, things like that, from the late 1930s.

So does the Rule of 25 mean that we should be stockpiling stuff from 1984-86 ($.65 cover ASM, Batman, Avengers, X-Men, Punisher Limiteds)

or stuff that seemed to be really hot in 1984-86 (ie, GI Joe, New Teen Titans, Albedo Zeroes, Fish Police, even if it was a few years older)?

I started collecting the summer of 1989, and the hottest wall books were Batman 426-429, even though they were from a year earlier. I don't look back fondly on the books of that time period (Acts of Vengeance, Byrne's Wolverine mini-run, Batman Year 3, so much as I do the books that were the unobtainable "wall books" at the time (Batman 426-429, Punisher mini, TMNT 1).

and that`s why Superman,Batman and Spider-man are always popular, they keep reinventing themselves every decade for a new generation and don`t fade away. Let`s see Frank Miller`s Dark Knight is about 25 years old now and we got the Batman Jack Nicholson movie coming up close to 25 years.

That makes me feel older than I first heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers on a "Classic Rock" station.

I recently heard Nirvana on a classic rock station. THAT made me feel old.

I was playing some Run Dmc and my wife`s younger sister was saying I like old skool rap!

I would classify that as old school.

Now if they said Biggie or Wu-Tang was old school, then I'd feel even older.

Somebody who is 38 with cash was 13 in 1986, and is looking to rebuy his/her youth. A broad generalization, yes, but applies 99.9% of the time.

That is scary accurate for me, even down to my age.

Oh, and I was out with a bunch of people a couple weeks ago. We were talking music, mentioned 'Careless Whisper', and a 22-year-old asked, "What's that?" doh!

Somebody who is 38 with cash was 13 in 1986, and is looking to rebuy his/her youth. A broad generalization, yes, but applies 99.9% of the time.

That is scary accurate for me, even down to my age.

Oh, and I was out with a bunch of people a couple weeks ago. We were talking music, mentioned 'Careless Whisper', and a 22-year-old asked, "What's that?" doh!

Oh, to be so lucky :sick: