• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper/Modern Uptick..?

52 posts in this topic

Rule of 25. (thumbs u

Image and Valiant are getting close to the Rule of 25!

hm

Very, very, very early Valiants, maybe, but definitely not Image, as adults were stockpiling those, not kids .

And how would you know that JC? :baiting:

(:

I started collecting the summer of 1989, and the hottest wall books were Batman 426-429, even though they were from a year earlier. I don't look back fondly on the books of that time period (Acts of Vengeance, Byrne's Wolverine mini-run, Batman Year 3, so much as I do the books that were the unobtainable "wall books" at the time (Batman 426-429, Punisher mini, TMNT 1).

That is actually a very good point, and during my very-rare youthful forays to the closest LCS/book store, I can remember gazing at the early copies of MTU on the wall ($25 for MTU 1!!!) and wondering if I would ever be able to afford them. At the time, MTU was in the 20's-30's.

These are still some of my favorite issues, although books that I bought as a kid still resonate just as high.

Very, very, very early Valiants, maybe, but definitely not Image, as adults were stockpiling those, not kids.

Umm, because I used to help out at 2 LCS on weekends? (shrug)

In 1988-89 I started noticing kids being replaced by fat sweaty nerds, and by 1990, kids were already a rarity at the LCS level, mostly due to price, marketing and speculation. Some still bought sportscards (ironic because most of the specu-adults were from sportscards), but comics were well on their way out for the younger crowd.

Somebody who is 38 with cash was 13 in 1986, and is looking to rebuy his/her youth. A broad generalization, yes, but applies 99.9% of the time.

That is scary accurate for me, even down to my age.

Oh, and I was out with a bunch of people a couple weeks ago. We were talking music, mentioned 'Careless Whisper', and a 22-year-old asked, "What's that?" doh!

Oh, to be so lucky :sick:

^^

I'm guessing you're more of a Metal fan? :grin:;)

Very, very, very early Valiants, maybe, but definitely not Image, as adults were stockpiling those, not kids.

Umm, because I used to help out at 2 LCS on weekends? (shrug)

In 1988-89 I started noticing kids being replaced by fat sweaty nerds, and by 1990, kids were already a rarity at the LCS level, mostly due to price, marketing and speculation. Some still bought sportscards, but comics were well on their way out for the younger crowd.

I was :kidaround:

I thought you were the ones buying all the books lol

Rule of 25. (thumbs u

hm

Rule of 25 only addresses demand. :grin:

And popularity with kids (especially the "Golden Age" of 8-12y ears of age) from 25 years ago, which will translate into a switch over to video games permanently around 2014-2015.

Rule of 25. (thumbs u

hm

Rule of 25 only addresses demand. :grin:

And popularity with kids (especially the "Golden Age" of 8-12y ears of age) from 25 years ago, which will translate into a switch over to video games permanently around 2014-2015.

Yeah, it'll be interesting. Video games definitely fit the 'fond memories from childhood' category. I wonder how Beanie Babies, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and the like will go... hm

lol, hardly, and I have never followed the sheep, something you should already realize by my tenure here.

I have always bought Bronze, from the day I started reading til now, no matter how many stupid people were telling me otherwise.

Back in the mid-80's, I'd walk up to the counter with a stack of HG Bronze from a new collection, and have all the dweebs tell me why I should be buying multiples of Elementals, Concrete or Fish Police. Even the owner was pushing the Indies and telling me how dumb I was to put money into those books.

Same thing in the 90's, I'd go through a new stack of Bronze, pick out as many as I could afford, them take them to the counter, and listen to the jabs and jokes about how I should be buying a case of X-whatever #1. Again, the owner (same guy) still kept pushing the books at me.

Although I left a ton of money on the table by not buying SA or GA in the 80's (I don't like that era), I am happy to say that I did not buy a single multiple of any 1990's book (absolutely zero Image books), and only bought issues that appealed to me personally (first Valiants, Death of Superman, Sandman, Hellblazer, etc.). I also stopped buying new comics in 1992 (I think it was the Bloodshot #1 preview cover/posters plastered all over the LCS that totally turned me off)

lol, hardly, and I have never followed the sheep, something you should already realize by my tenure here.

I have always bought Bronze, from the day I started reading til now, no matter how many stupid people were telling me otherwise.

Back in the mid-80's, I'd walk up to the counter with a stack of HG Bronze from a new collection, and have all the dweebs tell me why I should be buying multiples of Elementals, Concrete or Fish Police. Even the owner was pushing the Indies and telling me how dumb I was to put money into those books.

Same thing in the 90's, I'd go through a new stack of Bronze, pick out as many as I could afford, them take them to the counter, and listen to the jabs and jokes about how I should be buying a case of X-whatever #1. Again, the owner (same guy) still kept pushing the books at me.

Although I left a ton of money on the table by not buying SA or GA in the 80's (I don't like that era), I am happy to say that I did not buy a single multiple of any 1990's book (absolutely zero Image books), and only bought issues that appealed to me personally (first Valiants, Death of Superman, Sandman, Hellblazer, etc.). I also stopped buying new comics in 1992 (I think it was the Bloodshot #1 preview cover/posters plastered all over the LCS that totally turned me off)

Good for you :applause:

[Good for you :applause:

Don't give me too many kudos, as I cannot count the number of SA books I passed on just because they sucked - I can still remember a guy rolling into a local Con with 20+ longboxes full of SA for a buck a piece - I actually bought a few ASM's before a dealer descended and scooped them all up.

[Good for you :applause:

Don't give me too many kudos, as I cannot count the number of SA books I passed on just because they sucked - I can still remember a guy rolling into a local Con with 20+ longboxes full of SA for a buck a piece - I actually bought a few before a dealer descended and scooped them all up.

SA books for a $1 each :o :o

doh!