• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will "The Great Comic Crash" occur?

When will   

189 members have voted

1. 1. When will

66 posts in this topic

Soooo.....

....how 'bout everyone saying where their vote was, and I'll keep track of it and let everyone know how wrong they were when the dates fly by. 27_laughing.gif

I voted the Crash will NOT happen...

I doubt you are gonna find many takers that voted that a crash WILL happen who actually admit it. They wouldn't want to look foolish.

I doubt you are gonna find many takers that voted that a crash WILL happen who actually admit it. They wouldn't want to look foolish.

If you say that a comic book crash will NEVER happen, then you're the foolish one. Anyone with an iota of sense understands that comics historically crash from time to time, and it's only the EXACT DATE that is being debated.

Soooo.....

....how 'bout everyone saying where their vote was, and I'll keep track of it and let everyone know how wrong they were when the dates fly by. 27_laughing.gif

I'm metaphysically certain now that a Crash (as defined by a massive, across-the-board price decline from peak levels - which could take anywhere from months to years before a bottom is found) will occur. If the rampant greed and speculation pumping prices to ridiculous levels doesn't cause it alone, I am certain that numerous factors are in place to cause an almost unimaginable economic and market disaster within the next decade.

As economist Dr. Kurt Richebacher said last month, "Surveying the U.S. economy's performance over the last three to four years, we see ever-mounting structural imbalances: the worst job performance in the world; a rock-bottom national savings rate; a record current account and trade gap; a huge and soaring budget deficit; record levels of personal indebtedness; the most unbridled credit expansion in history; and a plunging currency."

I would add/emphasize to this that the geopolitical situation is as unstable/dangerous as we have seen in at least 40 years; globalization is likely to result in negative real income growth going forward; the economy and government coffers will take a massive hit due to the retirement of the Baby Boomers starting at the end of this decade; and that the opium of low interest rates has created massive asset bubbles in real estate (mainly on the coasts, but markets in the rest of the country will be affected if/when interest rates rise and the economy tanks), stocks, bonds and certain hard assets (including HG CGC comics).

Before you write me off as a loon, know that a bet against me is a bet against both history and the law of compound interest. Go do some research on how much financial leverage is in the system and how it has distorted asset prices and created a ticking time-bomb. After the asset bubbles have popped and the inevitable debt crisis arrives, trust me, you'll wish you owned more cash and insurance in the form of gold and silver bullion instead of holding debts and Golden and Silver Age comics. But hey, I'm not "imposing my values" on anyone - you all do what you gotta do and we'll see who's right and who's in dire straits in the future.

...ever-mounting structural imbalances: the worst job performance in the world; a rock-bottom national savings rate; a record current account and trade gap; a huge and soaring budget deficit; record levels of personal indebtedness; the most unbridled credit expansion in history; and a plunging currency...

Damn that George Bush!! mad.gif

( 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif)

There is nothing either political party can do to prevent the inevitable...and there is no shortage of blame to go around. I'm going to post a series of charts now that are far scarier than "30 Days of Night"...the writing's on the wall - what people do with their money is their business, but I would strongly advise them to prepare for the worst. In the economic environment I see coming over the horizon, overpriced comics are not going to be where most people are going to want to have their money invested.

446047-PersSav_0403.gif

446047-PersSav_0403.gif.684926e63570554acbfe941e62ccf560.gif

The wheels, as they say, are in motion...if we don't get a "Great Comic Crash" on its own, surely the inevitable debt/asset bubble implosion will have extremely negative ramifications on the comic market (and every other market). That's obviously not right around the corner, but I suspect serious effects will start to be felt within 5 years (to an even greater extent than the present) while the country will be seriously struggling to deal with the crisis within a decade.

If you say that a comic book crash will NEVER happen, then you're the foolish one. Anyone with an iota of sense understands that comics historically crash from time to time, and it's only the EXACT DATE that is being debated.

I choose the answer that was closest to how I believe. I do not see a crash happening anytime in the foreseeable future (5-10 years). There might be corrections on specific comics due to movie hype or HG modern CGC hype, but nothing that will effect the whole industry.

What good does it do to say you believe there will be a crash when you won't come up with any specific time frame when it will happen? I think you don't put a date to your prediction so that at some future point in time whether it be a year, 10 years, or 30 years from now you can say, "See, I told you waaaaay back in 2003 there would be a crash and I was right!" Anyone with an iota of sense can see that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The wheels, as they say, are in motion...if we don't get a "Great Comic Crash" on its own, surely the inevitable debt/asset bubble implosion will have extremely negative ramifications on the comic market (and every other market). That's obviously not right around the corner, but I suspect serious effects will start to be felt within 5 years (to an even greater extent than the present) while the country will be seriously struggling to deal with the crisis within a decade.

Say hi to your brothers Doom and Gloom for me. hi.gifstooges.gif

Say hi to your brothers Doom and Gloom for me. hi.gifstooges.gif

Say hi to your pals Candide and Pollyanna for me. hi.gif

I choose the answer that was closest to how I believe. I do not see a crash happening anytime in the foreseeable future (5-10 years).

I totally disagree with your statement, and there you have my timeline.

I guarantee I'll be back on here in less than 10 years to gloat and give you a swift kick to the back of the head. 27_laughing.gif

In the economic environment I see coming over the horizon, overpriced comics are not going to be where most people are going to want to have their money invested.

Jesus, you're starting to scare even me Gene. 893whatthe.gif

Is the general public really as stupid as the graphs indicate? I guess so. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have seriously got to stop posting on here, looking on EBay for comics, and really go over my finances over the next 12 months or so.

That and praying for a spike to interest rates. Now that would be sweet. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I choose the answer that was closest to how I believe. I do not see a crash happening anytime in the foreseeable future (5-10 years).

I totally disagree with your statement, and there you have my timeline.

I guarantee I'll be back on here in less than 10 years to gloat and give you a swift kick to the back of the head. 27_laughing.gif

There you have it folks. JC has narrowed his prediction of TGC to happen within the next decade. And here I thought he was going to be vague. foreheadslap.gif

What do you think the graph looks like for the Canadians?..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Just as bad over here. Our entire economy is currently being fuelled at the moment by the housing boom of the past 5 yrs. Eventually it will level out and plummet. Interest rates are at record lows, so of course every yahoo with a pulse is mortgaging ,borrowing and burying themselves in debt. Its also given everyone the false assumption that the economy is doing just fine, but in essence, the economy is staying alive on only borrowed money. When interest rates eventually rise.....KABOOM !!! cool.gif