• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will "The Great Comic Crash" occur?

When will   

189 members have voted

1. 1. When will

66 posts in this topic

Just came across this thread. Several questions and comments:

1) Would someone please define for me what section of the comic market we are talking about here? Without knowing what section of the market, I cannot answer the question, as:

a) the market for high grade CGC slabbed books is split into several sections - speculative moderns, Bronze books, Silver books, Golden books, etc., etc., etc., all with different buyers and sellers. I've said several times that the crash for books meeting certain criteria (post-1966, 9.6 or lower, "common" non-key books, "common" titles) has already happened, but I don't see it for very high grade silver and golden age.

b) the market for high-grade raw books is also split into several sections - speculative moderns, bronze, silver, golden, etc. etc., and within THAT there are collectors who are sitting on piles and piles of high grade books.

c) mid- and low-grade books are selling for the same 60% of graded Guide that they have sold for the past 25 years, and I will go out on a limb and say that this percentage of Guide will continue.

d) Gene's statement that "I'm metaphysically certain now that a Crash (as defined by a massive, across-the-board price decline from peak levels - which could take anywhere from months to years before a bottom is found) will occur" - again, what section of the market are we discussing?

2) Do those scary graphs include home debt? I have NO consumer debt, but have a $250,000 mortgage. How is that factored in?

3) JC did say repeatedly that there would be a "great comic crash" in 2004. JC - every now and then crying wolf isn't going to work.

4) Demographics, more than anything else, will contribute to a loss of value on comics. As less and less readers come into comics, and the entire generation of new comic readers who were turned off by the insane speculation bubble and then bust of the 90s (which is NEVER discussed) moves into its spending period, look for a drop in values. That being said, I don't see that happening for a while, as people like me move into the "spending" phase. Those graphs are scary, but they don't take into account my household, where we are in the top 2% of income generators, yet have no debt.

5) It is "affect", not "effect". mad.gif

I choose the answer that was closest to how I believe. I do not see a crash happening anytime in the foreseeable future (5-10 years).

I totally disagree with your statement, and there you have my timeline.

I guarantee I'll be back on here in less than 10 years to gloat and give you a swift kick to the back of the head. 27_laughing.gif

Now it's anywhere < 10 years................... 893frustrated.gif

3) JC did say repeatedly that there would be a "great comic crash" in 2004. JC - every now and then crying wolf isn't going to work.

Please re-post the post where JC predicted a 2004 crash. I might owe him a swift kick to the back of the head in January of 2005.

Please re-post the post where JC predicted a 2004 crash. I might owe him a swift kick to the back of the head in January of 2005.

Well, among other things, Joe carried it as his sig line for months on end last summer/fall...something like "I'll fiddle while the comic book market crashes and burns in 2004" with neato gifs of fiddlers and reapers!! 27_laughing.gif

Well, among other things, Joe carried it as his sig line for months on end last summer/fall...something like "I'll fiddle while the comic book market crashes and burns in 2004" with neato gifs of fiddlers and reapers!! 27_laughing.gif

Very interesting. So now JC is backing off his previous statements. Guess he isn't man enough to admit he was wrong. Very sad.

Coming from a gutless shill of a bannned loser,that truly is funnny.When are you going to sack up?How many X-Men 1s can I sell you at a buck a pop?

If you are so sure they will go up in value what are you waiting on?

Lack of conviction or lack of money?

You've already passed on spending money to buy books at almost 60% off guide yet continue to spouse drivel about subjects you know nothing about. You've been a collector for thirty years but don't know what a non-Gerber is?Don't know what a sealed case is,don't know what GPA is.

And then you expect anyone to take anything you say serious?

But you are good for a few laffs once in awhile.

Coming from a gutless shill of a bannned loser,that truly is funnny.When are you going to sack up?How many X-Men 1s can I sell you at a buck a pop?

You've already passed on spending money to buy books at almost 60% off guide yet continue to spouse drivel about subjects you know nothing about. You've been a collector for thirty years but don't know what a non-Gerber is?Don't know what a sealed case is,don't know what GPA is.

Well, if it isn't the crave case eating turd coming out of the closet. Did your boyfriend JC tell you to flame me or are you JC's alter ego? I told you I would do a deal, but you need to send me a list of your HG Marvel Super-Hero GA, SA, and BA so I can decide. Of course you have never done that because you don't have any conviction in the garbage that comes out your mouth. I will buy all your X-men #1s (if you have any) from 1963 at $1 a pop. I would gladly go through a 3rd party like Dr. Banner, FD, or some other reputable dealer. You send them your $23k worth of HG Marvel Super-Hero comics from the GA, SA, and BA, and I will send them my $10k. If everything is verified the transaction will go through.

Well, if it isn't the crave case eating turd coming out of the closet. Did your boyfriend JC tell you to flame me or are you JC's alter ego? I told you I would do a deal, but you need to send me a list of your HG Marvel Super-Hero GA, SA, and BA so I can decide. Of course you have never done that because you don't have any conviction in the garbage that comes out your mouth. I will buy all your X-men #1s (if you have any) from 1963 at $1 a pop. I would gladly go through a 3rd party like Dr. Banner, FD, or some other reputable dealer. You send them your $23k worth of HG Marvel Super-Hero comics from the GA, SA, and BA, and I will send them my $10k. If everything is verified the transaction will go through.

hi.gif

This could be fun. Shady, send me the books. I'll notify Marvelous when they arrive. Oh, and btw, I can't find the pile of Elseworlds books I thought I had. I'll send you the little stack I found and some cash back. Sorry about that.

I am not wading through market crash threads just to find something that was common knowledge. For a while JC had it as part of his sig line.

I am not beating JC up for no reason.....he is right (as is Gene) that there is going to be a market correction for segments of the comic book market and some of these will be quite dramatic. (will it be this year....hmmm....doesn't look like it yet does it Joe).

JC....you made us put up with it for 12 months.......just be a man and take your lumps for 2004.

hi.gif

This could be fun. Shady, send me the books. I'll notify Marvelous when they arrive. Oh, and btw, I can't find the pile of Elseworlds books I thought I had. I'll send you the little stack I found and some cash back. Sorry about that.

I've already stated that he could come and handpick the books himself if he can provide a few references,but of course he chooses to obfuscate the situation. If he'll prepay the round-trip postage,I'll gladly ship you the books.Whats the going rate for 300-600 books shipped to NJ via Virginia?

In his first post he talks of how even books like 1993 X-MEN #1 will go up in value,but offered them at almost 80% off guide,he still lacks the balls to simply admit he was talking thru his hindquarters once again.

I'm done with this shill and have hit the IGNORE THIS LOSER for him.

FD-Let me know if he manages to pony up the postage.

hi.gif

I've already stated that he could come and handpick the books himself if he can provide a few references,but of course he chooses to obfuscate the situation. If he'll prepay the round-trip postage,I'll gladly ship you the books.Whats the going rate for 300-600 books shipped to NJ via Virginia?

In his first post he talks of how even books like 1993 X-MEN #1 will go up in value,but offered them at almost 80% off guide,he still lacks the balls to simply admit he was talking thru his hindquarters once again.

600 books is what, 2 long boxes? Probably not much. I'd guess $50 for priority mail shipping. Hell, I'll front the postage to see this go through.

Add in the insurance for 20K worth of books,you know my paypal account.I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but as long as you are willing to front the postage,and give me your word the books will be returned when he backs out-go for it.

Just remember whom you are dealing with.

hi.gif

You are like the turd that won't ever flush. I never said anything about $23k worth of 1990s [!@#%^&^] like 1993 X-men #1. I have my $10k ready for your verified HG GA, SA, BA (ya know those Hulk #181s and ASM # 129s that are sooo plentiful), and even 1980s keys like Wolvie Mini, ASM #238, 252, 298, 300 etc... Of course you have never sent me a list of what you got (probably because you don't have what you claim). I stated that GA, SA, BA and key 80s modern will go up in value significantly in the next decade. You took exception to that because you seem to believe their values will drop by over 50%. You dared me to take you up on deal of $23k worth of stuff for $10k. Now either put up your comics or shut up. BTW everyone if he did indeed put me on ignore, it is only because he let his mouth get ahead of himself and is afraid to make the deal. I suspect he is hiding like a ghoul waiting in the shadows like before for another opportunity to try in flame me. Probably munching on a couple of crave cases.

hi.gif

You are like the turd that won't ever flush. I never said anything about $23k worth of 1990s [!@#%^&^] like 1993 X-men #1. I have my $10k ready for your verified HG GA, SA, BA (ya know those Hulk #181s and ASM # 129s that are sooo plentiful), and even 1980s keys like Wolvie Mini, ASM #238, 252, 298, 300 etc... Of course you have never sent me a list of what you got (probably because you don't have what you claim). I stated that GA, SA, BA and key 80s modern will go up in value significantly in the next decade. You took exception to that because you seem to believe their values will drop by over 50%. You dared me to take you up on deal of $23k worth of stuff for $10k. Now either put up your comics or shut up. BTW everyone if he did indeed put me on ignore, it is only because he let his mouth get ahead of himself and is afraid to make the deal. I suspect he is hiding like a ghoul waiting in the shadows like before for another opportunity to try in flame me. Probably munching on a couple of crave cases.

What the [!@#%^&^] is your problem, anyway, [!@#%^&^]? WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST WHITE CASTLE?!?!?!?!?!? mad.gif