• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Do you still have all of those, Rick? I'm asking because of the "memory" reference.
still have half...others have gone to boardies, so they are still in the "family"... just fun to post on a boring thursday morn (thumbs u

and where is paulie these days?

Paulie went through a rough patch when the economy went south and such. I talk to him from time to time.

I saw that book in person when I was in Oregon. It was on display at a local museum where they had an exhibit on comic books and original art in October, 2009. It has a much discussed history, but I can say that is shockingly nice in real life. The scans don't do it justice. Paulie had some photos posted on here at one time of the comic that better represented the book. It really looked newsstand fresh from front and back (I stepped behind the showcase to see the back cover, much to the disapproval of the security guard).

It's a killer looking copy.

(thumbs u

no doubt (thumbs u

but how much restoration has been done to it?

we will only know if it is "professionally" graded/checked.

The owner, who is an upstanding guy, says not much at all.

Yup, Darrel is a great guy. I hung with him for a couple of days out in Oregon.

We talked extensively about the book and the short version was that it has been so long since the work was done that nobody can actually recall. I believe that there was also talk of having a possible minor spot cleaning done on the book but can't remember the details. Other than that, all we have to go by right now is the PGX label and how the book looks.

I saw that book in person when I was in Oregon. It was on display at a local museum where they had an exhibit on comic books and original art in October, 2009. It has a much discussed history, but I can say that is shockingly nice in real life. The scans don't do it justice. Paulie had some photos posted on here at one time of the comic that better represented the book. It really looked newsstand fresh from front and back (I stepped behind the showcase to see the back cover, much to the disapproval of the security guard).

It's a killer looking copy.

(thumbs u

no doubt (thumbs u

but how much restoration has been done to it?

we will only know if it is "professionally" graded/checked.

The owner, who is an upstanding guy, says not much at all.

Yup, Darrel is a great guy. I hung with him for a couple of days out in Oregon.

We talked extensively about the book and the short version was that it has been so long since the work was done that nobody can actually recall. I believe that there was also talk of having a possible minor spot cleaning done on the book but can't remember the details. Other than that, all we have to go by right now is the PGX label and how the book looks.

I think most can extrapolate or even assume that "clean the cover" Wilson did more than just spot clean (this was the 80's/90's after all, and cleaning was a good thing back then...the difficulty/effort involved in trying to spot clean, when you could just soak the whole cover, is almost silly to consider, I am told) ... if the book was aqueous cleaned, it should be fairly apparent, right? (it certainly looks cleaned, based on the color wash and the missing grease stain that was once on the book)... however, if the owner really doesn't want to sell, then it shouldn't matter to any of us... my guess is, when (if) the time comes to sell, CGC will be involved, and then any speculation (for the most part) can be put to rest... I had interest in the book several years ago (strong interest) and discussed it in great detail at the time with paul, but my reservations and the owner's apparent unwillingness to address, stymied my desire...

I don't have the old B+W pictures when the book was first advertised, but where those white spots at the top of the book there in the original pics?

I don't have the old B+W pictures when the book was first advertised, but where those white spots at the top of the book there in the original pics?
not from what I recall, but that was one of the questions I requested be answered by paul (I was told the owner had old pics, or the catalog or something), but he was never able to provide the info, even though it was available (shrug)

The pic was a grainy black and white and it was posted on here at one time...it's all on my crashed laptop right now.

lol