• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic is in more demand - Action #1 or AF #15?

Which is the most desired comic book of all?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most desired comic book of all?

127 posts in this topic

I read the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen on these boards tonight...someone claiming that there is GREATER DEMAND for Amazing Fantasy #15 than for Action Comics #1.

Let's not consider hypotheses. Let's not consider "well, if Superman was introduced in 1962, or Spidey in 1938" etc, etc, because those things didn't happen.

Let us simply consider what is.

Maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm from a different era. But everything I have ever read, seen, heard, or experienced in comics tells me that Action Comics #1 is, and almost always has been, the single most DESIRED comic book that exists.

So....

What do you think?

(And, frankly, it shocks me to even HAVE this poll, but there you have it.)

EDIT: I am NOT using "the economics definition of demand" nor am I using the "legal definition of demand" nor am I using the 'Harvard study on affordability vs. availability in goldfish populations of the upper midwest' definition of demand."

I am using the word "demand" in its simplest sense: I want that. All other considerations aside. The fact that I used the word "desire" in the poll was the clue that this was the case. Context, people.

Let's not consider hypotheses. Let's not consider "well, if Superman was introduced in 1962, or Spidey in 1938" etc, etc, because those things didn't happen.

IFS and BUTS would definitely make this closer but based on availability of both books this one isn't even remotely close!!!! ACTION is ^^

I take no pleasure in saying it, but give it another 20 years of things going the way they are going and a 9.6 AF15 might be worth more than the MH Action 1 (oops there I said it!). The gap is narrowing all the time.

There are more AF #15's Than Action #1's. There is more demand for AF #15 than Action #1. Af #15 is more affordable in lower grades than Action #1.

That is what it is.

Dork (thumbs u

There are more AF #15's Than Action #1's. There is more demand for AF #15 than Action #1. Af #15 is more affordable in lower grades than Action #1.

That is what it is.

lol

If you say so.

That is what it is.

lol

If you say so.

I just said so tool box. :baiting:

That is what it is.

lol

If you say so.

Suck it, dingus. :luhv:

That is what it is.

lol

If you say so.

Suck it, dingus. :luhv:

That's all you got?

zzz

The rarity of Action 1 itself makes it more desirable. If they were equally available, AF15 would be more desirable, but since they're not by a longshot and Action 1 is a true rarity, it's more desirable.

It's Action #1.

It's a no-brainer.

Action #1 started the whole super-hero business. Without any super-heroes there would likely be a vastly different (and smaller) comic book market.

Some comic had to be the first to publish a super-hero, and Action #1 was it. Its four colour pages resulted in a deluge of long underwear characters occupying the pages of a huge number of comics publishers.

Action #1 is where the madness started. Everything else is, for he most part, just variations of its theme.

No disrespect to Spidey - he's is arguably the most popular character produced in the last fifty years.

An Isaac Newton quote would seem apt, though: "If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants". AF#15 stands squarely on the "shoulders" of Action #1

Some people seem to be confusing market value, scarcity and demand, as if pointing out that Action #1 is more valuable proves it is in more demand, or saying that Action #1 is in greater demand precisely because it is scarce.

I suggest that:

Scarcity of Action #1 > AF #15

Value of Action #1 > AF#15

Demand for AF#15 > Action #1

Action #1 is obviously the grail of the hobby, but there are far more people intending to add an AF#15 to their collection some day than there are people looking to buy an Action #1, and not just because they're priced out of the market. I feel extremely confident in saying that there are many more Spider-Man collectors than there are Superman collectors.

How many AF#15's are out there? 10,000? 20,000?

How many Action #1's? 100? 150?

Looking at market value in equal grade a 6.0 Action #1 is worth maybe 20 times an AF#15 ($300,000 vs $15,000). A big difference, but not as big as the difference in supply alone should dictate, methinks.

In conclusion, while I don't know the answer, I don't think the person who suggested an AF#15 may be in greater demand was all that far from the truth.

Some people seem to be confusing market value, scarcity and demand, as if pointing out that Action #1 is more valuable proves it is in more demand, or saying that Action #1 is in greater demand precisely because it is scarce.

I suggest that:

Action #1 is obviously the grail of the hobby, but there are far more people intending to add an AF#15 to their collection some day than there are people looking to buy an Action #1, and not just because they're priced out of the market. I feel extremely confident in saying that there are many more Spider-Man collectors than there are Superman collectors.

Looking at market value in equal grade a 6.0 Action #1 is worth maybe 20 times an AF#15 ($300,000 vs $15,000). A big difference, but not as big as the difference in supply alone should dictate, methinks.

In conclusion, while I don't know the answer, I don't think the person who suggested an AF#15 may be in greater demand was all that far from the truth.

That's where I stand as well, :sumo:

In economic terms, demand involves the desirability of an item, but also the ability and willingness to pay for it. So while I may "desire" an Action 1, I know full well that I'll never be able to afford one. Consequently, there is extremely low (or nil) demand from me, and, I suspect, from other collectors of modest means, and high (reasonable & genuine) demand from a relatively small group of well-heeled buyers.

On the other hand, I already own an AF 15: I wanted one, AND could afford it. There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that more people are chasing that book right now in the wider pool of GA-BA buyers (dealers and collectors) than are actively seeking an Action 1.

Dreaming about owning an unobtainable commodity isn't really "demand"; it's more like "unreasonable desire". And of course Action 1 wins on that score, hands down.

I suggest that:

:golfclap: Well put and I agree.

Simple question to any active dealer who carries a big inventory of both SA and GA:

How many times have you been asked if you have an AF15 for sale, or if you can get an AF15, by someone who is a legitimate buyer? And for an Action 1?

I'm in mikey's camp re: definition of demand.

With an alternative definition one might say the "demand" is great for Van Gogh's Irises but there actually few people clamoring for it.

i don't ever see the chance of me ever obtaining a copy of Action#1 so i kinda don't have a demand for it, i mean the .5 PLOD for $36K on clink was obvious entry level ownership. at least i know any day i want to own a copy of AF 15 i can easily obtain on, complete and unrestored, but its a mid grade af15 i have a demand for