• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic is in more demand - Action #1 or AF #15?

Which is the most desired comic book of all?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most desired comic book of all?

127 posts in this topic

In economic terms, demand involves the desirability of an item, but also the ability and willingness to pay for it. So while I may "desire" an Action 1, I know full well that I'll never be able to afford one. Consequently, there is extremely low (or nil) demand from me, and, I suspect, from other collectors of modest means, and high (reasonable & genuine) demand from a relatively small group of well-heeled buyers.

On the other hand, I already own an AF 15: I wanted one, AND could afford it. There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that more people are chasing that book right now in the wider pool of GA-BA buyers (dealers and collectors) than are actively seeking an Action 1.

Dreaming about owning an unobtainable commodity isn't really "demand"; it's more like "unreasonable desire". And of course Action 1 wins on that score, hands down.

Huh, that smacks of truth. If it's really about demand, I too would fall in the AF 15 category. I'd much rather have an Action 1, but I'm not in the game. I do expect to have an AF 15 at some point though.

Is this another way to look at it though? Whenever an Action 1 comes up for sale, it sells. is that true? I think it's true. I've never heard of one sitting around not selling. I have seen AF 15s not sell though. I've seen it happen here. How does this affect the math?

If you qualify demand.

If the number of people who a particular object is accessible to sets demand than an Action 1 is in much less demand than a Af 15 because the pool of potential buyers are much smaller.

If you quantify demand

If the value of an object is equated to its demand than Action 1,for any reason, is in higher demand.

Also the population who grew up with Superman has the disposable income coupled with the nostalgia that would compel them to acquire Action 1 raising it's value to crazy highs.

You could argue that a newly retiring Generation who grew up with Spiderman in the forefront will now be coming into a similar situation? (shrug)

Also, let's be honest if you are talking about the high grade of either book, the buying pool is extraordinarily limited. Most individuals would be happy with 1-2 million for retirement, let alone spending it acquiring a funny book.

Whenever an Action 1 comes up for sale, it sells. is that true?

If you mean ones that have come up at auction, I believe all have sold in the past couple of years (at least that I can recall). But if you mean all copies that have been up for sale, I can think of one (possibly two) that didn't find the right buyer

Whenever an Action 1 comes up for sale, it sells. is that true?

If you mean ones that have come up at auction, I believe all have sold in the past couple of years (at least that I can recall). But if you mean all copies that have been up for sale, I can think of one (possibly two) that didn't find the right buyer

hm

110133.jpg.1bad82168ae584a72d9b1651509c7732.jpg

But don't retirees usually have less disposable income?

The broke ones.

The thing with Superman and Spider-man is every decade they are introduced to new generations, so it isn`t really a golden age vs. silver age argument, millions of fans started liking and were introduced to Superman with the John Byrne version in the 1980s, then we had Lois and Clark for the 1990s which was a top ten TV show, then Smallville starting in 2001, Spidey stayed relevant with McFarlane late 1980`s all the way till the blockbuster movies in 2001.

Both these characters will stay popular because all those kids of the 1980s and up have grown up with them and will have disposable income when they are older.

So it`s a win win for the both of them. (thumbs u

Also, let's be honest if you are talking about the high grade of either book, the buying pool is extraordinarily limited. Most individuals would be happy with 1-2 million for retirement, let alone spending it acquiring a funny book.

Key point as if you deposit the 1-2 million in bank,the interest you make off that from a bank would be enough to live off yearly those last golden twilight years.

The rarity of Action 1 itself makes it more desirable. If they were equally available, AF15 would be more desirable, but since they're not by a longshot and Action 1 is a true rarity, it's more desirable.

Some people seem to be confusing market value, scarcity and demand, as if pointing out that Action #1 is more valuable proves it is in more demand, or saying that Action #1 is in greater demand precisely because it is scarce.

I suggest that:

Scarcity of Action #1 > AF #15

Value of Action #1 > AF#15

Demand for AF#15 > Action #1

Action #1 is obviously the grail of the hobby, but there are far more people intending to add an AF#15 to their collection some day than there are people looking to buy an Action #1, and not just because they're priced out of the market. I feel extremely confident in saying that there are many more Spider-Man collectors than there are Superman collectors.

How many AF#15's are out there? 10,000? 20,000?

How many Action #1's? 100? 150?

Looking at market value in equal grade a 6.0 Action #1 is worth maybe 20 times an AF#15 ($300,000 vs $15,000). A big difference, but not as big as the difference in supply alone should dictate, methinks.

In conclusion, while I don't know the answer, I don't think the person who suggested an AF#15 may be in greater demand was all that far from the truth.

These two sentiments echo mine.

I think people have a hard time separating the rarity and actual price over demand.

I believe that demand for AF #15 is higher in demand than Action #1 for the simple reason that there it was released within many of our lifetimes (or close enough to it that we feel an association with it). Action #1 was released over 70 years ago. How many people remember that?

If both books were of equal value and rarity, I believe that AF #15 would trump Action #1 demand.

As mentioned over and over, I agree that it's the rarity an value of Action #1 that give it that edge today.

That's not to say that Action #1 is not the more important book, it's just that I believe more people can relate to AF #15.

The demand for Action is lower due to price. Action 1 is scratched off 99% of collectors want lists due to price. AF 15 is readily available and anyone can afford a copy. It may take work, but anyone can buy one. Action 1, not so much.

IF Action 1 were more affordable the want for that book would trump AF 15, Hulk 1, and FF1 combined. Its very very simple.

Action 1 is appreciated by more than just niche collectors. Spider-Man is appreciated by Spider-Man collectors. There are MORE people who like super heros in general then there are Spidey collectors. Therefore Action 1 will ALWAYS be the more wanted book.

Disagree if you like, but you honestly need a groin punch if you dont get it.

I honestly think that a large percentage of the desire to own an Action #1 is because it's rare and expensive.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Spider-Man is appreciated by Spider-Man collectors.

Yep. Only Spider-Man collectors went to see the movies.