• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic is in more demand - Action #1 or AF #15?

Which is the most desired comic book of all?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most desired comic book of all?

127 posts in this topic

There's a subtle difference between demand and desirability.

I would guess that there are more "fans" of Spidey than Superman these days, and in a sense their greater numbers create more "demand" for the AF 15. (Which isn't to say that any of them would mind owning a copy of Action 1, even so-called "Marvel zombies" like me, and likely vice versa).

Also, Action 1 is priced so far out there that many just give up on any thought of pusuing it, in a sense further lowering its "demand".

Ask any even marginally knowledable comic afficianado which they would rather own, and Action 1 would be the unanimous choice.

Count the numbers that would actually potentially purchase one or the other, and the AF 15 would probably lead.

You changed the wording. I feel AF 15 is more in DEMAND as there are a lot more people that can afford mid to low grade copies of it, while Action 1 is probably more DESIRABLE but there are a lot less people than can afford any copy of the book at all, and is basically just a pipe dream for many making very desirable.

Here's an interesting litmus test worth considering:

The bottom-end of the market. Stop looking at the best of the best because only a SELECT few of collectors can go after these types of books. But FAR more collectors can go after the lower grade copies (not all, but far more than those who can afford the top-end). For big keys like this, let's take a walk in my world: The Sub-2.0 comic book.

Now, what happens when a 1.0 FAIR copy of AF 15 goes to market? Let's assume it's a copy that is 100% in tact, with wear on the spine, maybe a piece or two of tape on it, some foxing, perhaps some chipping--you know the type. Chances are pretty good that this book *should* sell, but depending on the venue, it could sell right away, sit for a little while, sell for a little above-or-below GPA. Once in a moon it'll go for a song, far less often we'll see the seller make a killing on it (the examples of this happening are those wonderful copies that are missing a coupon that doesn't affect the story but brings the technical grade down to a 1.0 such as my JIM 83).

NOW, let's take a copy of Action Comics #1 with all of the same defects in the exact same grade and send it out into the market. How will the buyers respond? I think this is a semi-rhetorical question as anyone who's ever watched the Action #1s sell, will know this book is going to out perform the AF 15. When you consider the current market for complete coverless copies of AF 15 and even try comparing that to a mere wrap from Action Comics 1, the difference is astounding.

So for what it's worth, we have to consider the books as they were and are, the roles they've played in influencing comics history and mainstream culture, and work with those facts when trying to make this determination. The value of a book certainly isn't the only factor, but it is a good indicator as to the demand (because if demand was low, the price would go down). But the battle of semantics over "demand" and "desirability" has me asking these two questions: "What spurs desirability?" What spurs demand?" While I fully appreciate parsing out the varying definitions of similar terms, I think given the context of this discussion, the differences are significantly subtle and nowhere near significant enough to warrant debate over. 2c

Ok... that's enough from me. Time to go back to proctoring midterms. :)

Some people seem to be confusing market value, scarcity and demand, as if pointing out that Action #1 is more valuable proves it is in more demand, or saying that Action #1 is in greater demand precisely because it is scarce.

I suggest that:

Scarcity of Action #1 > AF #15

Value of Action #1 > AF#15

Demand for AF#15 > Action #1

Action #1 is obviously the grail of the hobby, but there are far more people intending to add an AF#15 to their collection some day than there are people looking to buy an Action #1, and not just because they're priced out of the market. I feel extremely confident in saying that there are many more Spider-Man collectors than there are Superman collectors.

How many AF#15's are out there? 10,000? 20,000?

How many Action #1's? 100? 150?

Looking at market value in equal grade a 6.0 Action #1 is worth maybe 20 times an AF#15 ($300,000 vs $15,000). A big difference, but not as big as the difference in supply alone should dictate, methinks.

In conclusion, while I don't know the answer, I don't think the person who suggested an AF#15 may be in greater demand was all that far from the truth.

AF 15.

Sure the Action is worth a ton more.Its older.And there are many less.

But in my mind the AF 15 is the better investment.

How many Actions are there really?It seems there is one in every Comic Connect auction.

The GA boardies would know better than I.

The bottom-end of the market. Stop looking at the best of the best because only a SELECT few of collectors can go after these types of books. But FAR more collectors can go after the lower grade copies (not all, but far more than those who can afford the top-end). For big keys like this, let's talk a walk in my world: The Sub-2.0 comic book.

Now, what happens when a 1.0 FAIR copy of AF 15 goes to market? Let's assume it's a copy that is 100% in tact, with wear on the spine, maybe a piece or two of tape on it, some foxing, perhaps some chipping--you know the type. Chances are pretty good that this book *should* sell, but depending on the venue, it could sell right away, sit for a little while, sell for a little above-or-below GPA. Once in a moon it'll go for a song, far less often we'll see the seller make a killing on it (the examples of this happening are those wonderful copies that are missing a coupon that doesn't affect the story but brings the technical grade down to a 1.0 such as my JIM 83).

NOW, let's take a copy of Action Comics #1 with all of the same defects in the exact same grade and send it out into the market. How will the buyers respond? I think this is a semi-rhetorical question as anyone who's ever watched the Action #1s sell, will know this book is going to out perform the AF 15. When you consider the current market for complete coverless copies of AF 15 and even try comparing that to a mere wrap from Action Comics 1, the difference is astounding.

So for what it's worth, we have to consider the books as they were and are, the roles they've played in influencing comics history and mainstream culture, and work with those facts when trying to make this determination. The value of a book certainly isn't the only factor, but it is a good indicator as to the demand (because if demand was low, the price would go down). But the battle of semantics over "demand" and "desirability" has me asking these two questions: "What spurs desirability?" What spurs demand?" While I fully appreciate parsing out the varying definitions of similar terms, I think given the context of this discussion, the differences are significantly subtle and nowhere near significant enough to warrant debate over. 2c

+1

Using the "affordability logic", you could probably argue that Hulk #181 is in even higher demand than both books since it is easy for collectors to attain a copy.

AF #15 is a nice book, but if I could afford it I would take Action #1 over an AF #15 without blinking. My guess is that a vast majority of other collectors would feel the same way.

At the top end, how many other BSDs would have paid that price for the AF #15? My guess is that the pool of buyers for a $1+ million copy of Tec #27 or Action #1 is larger than for an AF #15.

I can't believe that a full third of those polled considered AF 15 more in demand. If I could ever afford one, I would have one. I'm wondering if investing in a time machine would be more economical than buying one outright.

Why title the thread: Which comic is in more demand?

then

Title your poll:

Which is the most desired comic book of all?

These are two distinctly different questions.

Indicative of a weak argument. :baiting:

No, you're just making it harder than it needs to be.

I didn't qualify "demand."

I didn't say "demand according to the economics definition of the word."

I didn't say "demand, but only provided you can actually buy it."

Since there was no qualification, YOU should have read "demand" and "desire", therefore, as the same thing, within the context of what I wrote, and blamed your own faulty interpretation as the issue. Or, you could have asked for further definition, at which point I would have explained what I have here.

(thumbs u

The bottom-end of the market. Stop looking at the best of the best because only a SELECT few of collectors can go after these types of books. But FAR more collectors can go after the lower grade copies (not all, but far more than those who can afford the top-end). For big keys like this, let's talk a walk in my world: The Sub-2.0 comic book.

+1

Using the "affordability logic", you could probably argue that Hulk #181 is in even higher demand than both books since it is easy for collectors to attain a copy.

AF #15 is a nice book, but if I could afford it I would take Action #1 over an AF #15 without blinking. My guess is that a vast majority of other collectors would feel the same way.

At the top end, how many other BSDs would have paid that price for the AF #15? My guess is that the pool of buyers for a $1+ million copy of Tec #27 or Action #1 is larger than for an AF #15.

I could kiss both of you right now.

Again, using the "affordability logic" (love that term, Kimik), New Mutants #98 is in the greatest demand of all.

Just because something is more affordable does NOT mean it is more desired, and as Mac Man pointed out, the parsing of the difference between "demand" and "desire" is inappropriate for this conversation, because I established the parameters, and I am using them to mean the same thing.

IF supply was equal...which book would more collectors want to own?

I collect Spiderman first and formost.

If I could have only one of the books in my collection, and resale were not a consideration, I would take the AF15.

The Action 1 is a more important book historically, super old, and super rare. But if one dropped in my lap I would sell it and buy other comics, the first of which would be a nice AF15.

hm

Not going to parse the wording here after seeing what a disaster the high grade thread turned into...we have some rather contentious grammar police. :P

So with the caveat that this is simply what I would do in a given situation, I leave it to others to tell me if this reflects demand or desire...or some third variable yet to enter the discussion. :juggle:

If I was offered a choice between a copy of each book in equal grade at no cost, I would ALWAYS take the Action 1. No hesitation or debate in my mind. However, I would then immediately set to selling that book in order to purchase a mid-grade AF 15 (both books are off my radar for cost considerations right now). Again, no doubt in my mind I would do that. I would then pocket the difference and NOT attempt to get back into a lower grade Action 1 with the remaining funds.

If I was offered the choice between both books at a FMV, I would take the AF 15 at mid to low grade if finances allowed, but I would NEVER take the Action 1 or a 9.X AF 15. Shy of winning the lottery I never see that as a possibility either way. And even in the event that I had a cash windfall, I would go about purchasing the AF 15 and other titles on my want list. :cloud9:

The rarity of Action 1 itself makes it more desirable. If they were equally available, AF15 would be more desirable, but since they're not by a longshot and Action 1 is a true rarity, it's more desirable.

What he said...

even though I would love it to,

I don't think an AF15 will ever pass an Action 1.

I do love to see this book still doing well though.

And I would like to see Hulk 181 pass AF15. Because I think Wolverine is a better character then Spidey.

even though I would love it to,

I don't think an AF15 will ever pass an Action 1.

I do love to see this book still doing well though.

And I would like to see Hulk 181 pass AF15. Because I think Wolverine is a better character then Spidey.

so I take it you own a 181...

I own both, but I must say the Herb Trimpe art in that book was down right awful IMHO.

I love wolverine, but even Herb himself has to be embarrassed at the level of craft in 181.

I honestly am serious considering flipping my CGC copy because every time I look at it

I get sick about thinking of the possibilities of what if Trimpe had a better couple of days with this book.