• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic is in more demand - Action #1 or AF #15?

Which is the most desired comic book of all?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most desired comic book of all?

127 posts in this topic

Key point as if you deposit the 1-2 million in bank,the interest you make off that from a bank would be enough to live off yearly those last golden twilight years.

You need to re-think this one, captain. Or go to a bank sometime.

even though I would love it to,

I don't think an AF15 will ever pass an Action 1.

I do love to see this book still doing well though.

And I would like to see Hulk 181 pass AF15. Because I think Wolverine is a better character then Spidey.

so I take it you own a 181...

I own both, but I must say the Herb Trimpe art in that book was down right awful IMHO.

I love wolverine, but even Herb himself has to be embarrassed at the level of craft in 181.

I dont own either. But as far as character development I prefer Wolverine. I STILL enjoy reading his books 25 years later. Spidey, long dropped.

I didnt go see the Spidey movies.

Neither did I and Spidey is my favorite superhero. Has been since I was a kid watching the old 60's cartoon show in re-run in the 70's. The movies hold zero interest for me.

I read the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen on these boards tonight...someone claiming that there is GREATER DEMAND for Amazing Fantasy #15 than for Action Comics #1.

Let's not consider hypotheses. Let's not consider "well, if Superman was introduced in 1962, or Spidey in 1938" etc, etc, because those things didn't happen.

Let us simply consider what is.

Maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm from a different era. But everything I have ever read, seen, heard, or experienced in comics tells me that Action Comics #1 is, and almost always has been, the single most DESIRED comic book that exists.

So....

What do you think?

(And, frankly, it shocks me to even HAVE this poll, but there you have it.)

EDIT: I am NOT using "the economics definition of demand" nor am I using the "legal definition of demand" nor am I using the 'Harvard study on affordability vs. availability in goldfish populations of the upper midwest' definition of demand."

I am using the word "demand" in its simplest sense: I want that. All other considerations aside. The fact that I used the word "desire" in the poll was the clue that this was the case. Context, people.

I am NOT using "the economics definition of demand"

There IS no other definition of demand in this context :makepoint: I want a BJ from 42 different Victoria's Secret models but "wanting that" isn't going to make it happen. If we "simply consider what is" to use your own words NO OTHER BOOK has as deep demand as AF15.

As a somewhat related note the value of all copies of AF15 added together ("market capitalization") TROUNCES action 1.

Why title the thread: Which comic is in more demand?

then

Title your poll:

These are two distinctly different questions.

Indicative of a weak argument. :baiting:

No, you're just making it harder than it needs to be.

I didn't qualify "demand."

I didn't say "demand according to the economics definition of the word."

I didn't say "demand, but only provided you can actually buy it."

Since there was no qualification, YOU should have read "demand" and "desire", therefore, as the same thing, within the context of what I wrote, and blamed your own faulty interpretation as the issue. Or, you could have asked for further definition, at which point I would have explained what I have here.

(thumbs u

Your OP was a direct response to your debate with Bronty about ECONOMIC demand in the Spidey v Superman thread, now you claim that you are not talking about the economics definition at all.

You Titled the thread. You Titled the poll. You failed to qualify it when there were rumblings earlier in the thread.

If anyone is making it harder than it needs to be, it is you. (thumbs u

As has been said, Spidey = more popular character, larger fan base, appeals to a different generation currently in their peak earning years, cheaper and accessible enough to be realistic = greater demand for AF15.

Action 1 is more desirable but not as in demand.

And this is someone who's pissed that AF 15's value has outstripped that of books like All Star 8, All American 15, and Flash # 1.

Key point as if you deposit the 1-2 million in bank,the interest you make off that from a bank would be enough to live off yearly those last golden twilight years.

You need to re-think this one, captain. Or go to a bank sometime.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing!

BTW-- if this debate is what "advanced" comics collectors would want, it's one thing. But at several points it was brought up which issue would be in more demand from a general public. Answer-- neither. Most people out there don't know Action #1 from dishwater, and even more have never even heard of something called an Amazing Fantasy #15!

If you asked the public which they'd choose... the debate would be between Superman #1 and Spider-Man #1, beacuse as far as the general public knows, all valuable comics have a #1 on their cover (and conversely, all #1 issues are valuable).

I read the most amazing thing I think I've ever seen on these boards tonight...someone claiming that there is GREATER DEMAND for Amazing Fantasy #15 than for Action Comics #1.

Let's not consider hypotheses. Let's not consider "well, if Superman was introduced in 1962, or Spidey in 1938" etc, etc, because those things didn't happen.

Let us simply consider what is.

Maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm from a different era. But everything I have ever read, seen, heard, or experienced in comics tells me that Action Comics #1 is, and almost always has been, the single most DESIRED comic book that exists.

So....

What do you think?

(And, frankly, it shocks me to even HAVE this poll, but there you have it.)

EDIT: I am NOT using "the economics definition of demand" nor am I using the "legal definition of demand" nor am I using the 'Harvard study on affordability vs. availability in goldfish populations of the upper midwest' definition of demand."

I am using the word "demand" in its simplest sense: I want that. All other considerations aside. The fact that I used the word "desire" in the poll was the clue that this was the case. Context, people.

I am NOT using "the economics definition of demand"

There IS no other definition of demand in this context :makepoint: I want a BJ from 42 different Victoria's Secret models but "wanting that" isn't going to make it happen. If we "simply consider what is" to use your own words NO OTHER BOOK has as deep demand as AF15.

Crude example, but apt nonetheless. It's NOT about "making it happen", it's about wanting it.

So yes, there is, indeed, another definition in this context.

And the poll is, thus far, proving your last sentence incorrect.

We'll see how it shakes out.

then

Title your poll:

Since there was no qualification, YOU should have read "demand" and "desire", therefore, as the same thing, within the context of what I wrote, and blamed your own faulty interpretation as the issue. Or, you could have asked for further definition, at which point I would have explained what I have here.

(thumbs u

Your OP was a direct response to your debate with Bronty about ECONOMIC demand in the Spidey v Superman thread,

Sorry, but you're wrong. The response was to Cpannell's assertion that thre is greater demand for AF #15 than for Action #1.

Simple.

Since Cpannell didn't qualify it, neither did I.

now you claim that you are not talking about the economics definition at all.

You Titled the thread. You Titled the poll. You failed to qualify it when there were rumblings earlier in the thread.

I didn't "fail" to qualify anything, because there was no need for qualification.

If you want qualification, there's a WHOLE other thread that addresses that exact thing.

No, like I said, you've made this harder than it is.

(thumbs u

As has been said, Spidey = more popular character, larger fan base, appeals to a different generation currently in their peak earning years, cheaper and accessible enough to be realistic = greater demand for AF15.

Action 1 is more desirable but not as in demand.

And this is someone who's pissed that AF 15's value has outstripped that of books like All Star 8, All American 15, and Flash # 1.

Demand = desire.

Demand, in this case, does NOT mean "the desire for, and the means to acquire, the item."

Stop overthinking it.

Whenever an Action 1 comes up for sale, it sells. is that true?

If you mean ones that have come up at auction, I believe all have sold in the past couple of years (at least that I can recall). But if you mean all copies that have been up for sale, I can think of one (possibly two) that didn't find the right buyer

hm

THAT is a 2.5!??

then

Title your poll:

(thumbs u

Your OP was a direct response to your debate with Bronty about ECONOMIC demand in the Spidey v Superman thread,

Sorry, but you're wrong. The response was to Cpannell's assertion that thre is greater demand for AF #15 than for Action #1.

Simple.

You mean this post? :

While the supply of AF15 is greater than Action #1, so is the demand, hence the recent "high" price paid for a copy of Spidey's origin story, and another indication of Spider-man's longevity, iconic status, and his undeniable whateverness.

Again, clearly using the economic definition of demand.

I didn't "fail" to qualify anything, because there was no need for qualification.

If you want qualification, there's a WHOLE other thread that addresses that exact thing.

(thumbs u

So, the fact that you started this poll at the exact same time as you concluded your discussion about economic demand with Bronty in the other thread with the following quote:

Well...let's just see, shall we...?

;)

.... Was just a coincidence?

then

Title your poll:

(thumbs u

Simple.

You mean this post? :

While the supply of AF15 is greater than Action #1, so is the demand, hence the recent "high" price paid for a copy of Spidey's origin story, and another indication of Spider-man's longevity, iconic status, and his undeniable whateverness.

Again, clearly using the economic definition of demand.

Ooo, bold! Let's try it out.

Oh really? "Clearly"? You mean, Cpannell CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY stated that he meant by "demand" both the desire AND THE MEANS NECESSARY to acquire it...?

Rather than just the desire to own it?

No, nice try, but you CANNOT read that Cpannell meant the UNEQUIVOCAL "economic definition of demand", because he mentioned nothing about the ability to acquire it.

IN FACT...one could say the opposite was true, precisely BECAUSE of the PRICE ($1.1M) of the 9.6 AF #15, which puts it far beyond the reach of the vast majority of collectors, that he was arguing AGAINST the "has the means to acquire it" definition of the word "demand."

Using the economic definition of the word "demand", FEWER people have a demand for AF #15 than Action #1, because only ONE copy of AF #15 has sold for $1M or more, while TWO copies of Action #1 (in substantially lower grade, I might add) have sold for $1M or more.

See how easy it is to fiddle around with what things mean...? Just because he mentioned the price does not therefore mean he is "clearly using the economic definition of the word."

(thumbs u

So, the fact that you started this poll at the exact same time as you concluded your discussion about economic demand with Bronty in the other thread with the following quote:

Well...let's just see, shall we...?

;)

.... Was just a coincidence?

No, who said that? You? I certainly didn't. So why are you bringing it up?