• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic is in more demand - Action #1 or AF #15?

Which is the most desired comic book of all?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most desired comic book of all?

127 posts in this topic

I AM Action #1, who's party you beg to attend in the nude. Bow to your Warlock Messiah; the Vatican Assassin of your childhood heroes. Undigested humous trading real estate for this fire dance.

Sizzle! Losing! Bye!

For the record, I love Grinin....he absolutely keeps me on my toes and demands that I think through my positions from absolutely every angle possible, and that keeps me honest.

:cloud9:

Right back at you, bub!

Always enjoy your analysis! :cloud9:

although I think you want me to wonder about that smilie (thumbs u from you.

I'll have another reply coming, but have to step out for awhile.

*Sorry about the bold, it was only to separate the posts better. I'm still learning all the quote functions.

Here's an interesting litmus test worth considering:

The bottom-end of the market. Stop looking at the best of the best because only a SELECT few of collectors can go after these types of books. But FAR more collectors can go after the lower grade copies (not all, but far more than those who can afford the top-end). For big keys like this, let's talk a walk in my world: The Sub-2.0 comic book.

Now, what happens when a 1.0 FAIR copy of AF 15 goes to market? Let's assume it's a copy that is 100% in tact, with wear on the spine, maybe a piece or two of tape on it, some foxing, perhaps some chipping--you know the type. Chances are pretty good that this book *should* sell, but depending on the venue, it could sell right away, sit for a little while, sell for a little above-or-below GPA. Once in a moon it'll go for a song, far less often we'll see the seller make a killing on it (the examples of this happening are those wonderful copies that are missing a coupon that doesn't affect the story but brings the technical grade down to a 1.0 such as my JIM 83).

NOW, let's take a copy of Action Comics #1 with all of the same defects in the exact same grade and send it out into the market. How will the buyers respond? I think this is a semi-rhetorical question as anyone who's ever watched the Action #1s sell, will know this book is going to out perform the AF 15. When you consider the current market for complete coverless copies of AF 15 and even try comparing that to a mere wrap from Action Comics 1, the difference is astounding.

So for what it's worth, we have to consider the books as they were and are, the roles they've played in influencing comics history and mainstream culture, and work with those facts when trying to make this determination. The value of a book certainly isn't the only factor, but it is a good indicator as to the demand (because if demand was low, the price would go down). But the battle of semantics over "demand" and "desirability" has me asking these two questions: "What spurs desirability?" What spurs demand?" While I fully appreciate parsing out the varying definitions of similar terms, I think given the context of this discussion, the differences are significantly subtle and nowhere near significant enough to warrant debate over. 2c

Ok... that's enough from me. Time to go back to proctoring midterms. :)

+1

Using the "affordability logic", you could probably argue that Hulk #181 is in even higher demand than both books since it is easy for collectors to attain a copy.

AF #15 is a nice book, but if I could afford it I would take Action #1 over an AF #15 without blinking. My guess is that a vast majority of other collectors would feel the same way.

At the top end, how many other BSDs would have paid that price for the AF #15? My guess is that the pool of buyers for a $1+ million copy of Tec #27 or Action #1 is larger than for an AF #15.

I could kiss both of you right now.

Again, using the "affordability logic" (love that term, Kimik), New Mutants #98 is in the greatest demand of all.

Just because something is more affordable does NOT mean it is more desired, and as Mac Man pointed out, the parsing of the difference between "demand" and "desire" is inappropriate for this conversation, because I established the parameters, and I am using them to mean the same thing.

IF supply was equal...which book would more collectors want to own?

No kiss required, but AF #15 does not come close to Hulk #181 in demand based on what I see at local shows. Granted, the average collector age here is probably younger than in other locations, but SA keys are not in as high demand as Bronze or Copper keys. Those books move in large part due to the "affordability" logic, but also because Wolverine and the X-Men are much more popular with the younger set than Spidey is (and you really can't blame them...........).

FWIW, I would be interested to know how many collectors that grew up reading Marvel SA books from the get go still consider FF #1 to be more desireable than AF #15.

I think a better comparison would be which issue is in more demand: AF #15 or MC #1. :devil:

The rarity of Action 1 itself makes it more desirable. If they were equally available, AF15 would be more desirable, but since they're not by a longshot and Action 1 is a true rarity, it's more desirable.

I don't collect based on rarity. I buy what I like.

There's a subtle difference between demand and desirability.

Not in this thread, there's not.

No, just in reality.

Ooo, and MC comes out swingin'!

Demand -

1a : an act of demanding or asking especially with authority b : something claimed as due

2archaic : question

3a : willingness and ability to purchase a commodity or service b : the quantity of a commodity or service wanted at a specified price and time

4a : a seeking or state of being sought after

Please note definition number FOUR.

(thumbs u

..and if more people are seeking one item over another, it is in greater demand, no?

Are more people seeking to truly buy a copy of AF 15 or Action 1 right now?

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

But how many people want to own an Action #1 vs. an AF #15, regardless of ability to buy?

Ah, there's the rub.

There is more demand for AF15, but there is a larger Demand-to-Supply ratio for AC1.

This is a much better way to analyze the market relationship between the 2 books.

It is always much better to take both sides of the demand/supply equation into account, instead of just looking at only one of the factors in isolation without considering the other.

Viewed from this particular angle, the Action #1 should and will always win out in the end.

..and if more people are seeking one item over another, it is in greater demand, no?

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

But how many people want to own an Action #1 vs. an AF #15, regardless of ability to buy?

Ah, there's the rub.

No doubt the Action 1.

That is the difference between desirability and demand.

Much like I'm sure a Ferrari is more desired than a Honda Civic, but no doubt there are many more people seriously shopping for a Civic at this moment than a Ferrari...

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

Ah, there's the rub.

No doubt the Action 1.

No, that is the difference between desirability and demand as defined by you.

Words don't all have just one meaning, as noted above.

And, frankly, I should have expected this. lol

I voted AF #15.

Supply and Demand together determine value. So I took value out of it, since we're only talking about demand.

If you said I could only own one of these books and had to keep it forever without selling it, it'd be AF #15 hand down.

I like Spidey WAY better than Supes and would rather have his 1st appearance. (thumbs u

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

Ah, there's the rub.

No doubt the Action 1.

Again, real world vs. your thread.

Definition #4 states it.

It's pretty much the way you defined it.

Desirability Demand

2 different things.

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

Ah, there's the rub.

No doubt the Action 1.

Much like I'm sure a Ferrari is more desired than a Honda Civic, but no doubt there are many more people seriously shopping for a Civic at this moment than a Ferrari...

I'll take the AF 15, thanks.

Poor car analogy, btw. AF 15 is the Ferrari. Action 1 is a stodgy old Rolls.

My guess is AF 15.

Possibly.

Ah, there's the rub.

No doubt the Action 1.

Again, real world vs. your thread.

Definition #4 states it.

It's pretty much the way you defined it.

Desirability Demand

2 different things.

Demand -

4a : a seeking or state of being sought after

That's a real world definition of the word demand. It's one of a handful. I didn't make it up. It exists as a valid definition of the word "demand"

Desirability Demand

Sometimes, but not always, the same exact thing.

That's the real world.

:makepoint:

And it STILL doesn't matter, because the sticking point is NOT how we define "demand."