• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Current Writer? The poll of the ages is here!

Best Current Writer  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Best Current Writer

34 posts in this topic

If someone had nominated them, I would have included them. I didn't do anything but repeat what was offered to me. Nominations were open for a week and that was that.

You're right though, I should have included the "someone else" option.

My fault for not checking this section of the boards that often.

It was actually in the modern section.

That explains it then. I rarely check in there. While I still buy the occaisonal Marvel book, it's been 30 years since I actually cared about what was happening in the Marvel Universe. There also seems to be way too much obsessing about high prices paid for slabbed copies of what would otherwise be less than $10 books.

That explains it then. I rarely check in there. While I still buy the occaisonal Marvel book, it's been 30 years since I actually cared about what was happening in the Marvel Universe. There also seems to be way too much obsessing about high prices paid for slabbed copies of what would otherwise be less than $10 books.

Okay, but a lot of the active discussion in the modern forum is actually about what new books are on the shelves and any "obsessing about high prices paid for slabbed copies of what would otherwise be less than $10 books" is overwhelmingly negative, so I don't think you have any reason to be afraid.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that everything modern=Marvel so I can't answer to that part of your concern. Suffice it to say that more than what happens in the Marvel Universe is discussed there. Thankfully thumbsup2.gif

I was probably a little harsh - I realize not everything discussed on the Modern board concerns Marvel. Actually, the Silver Age board is probably more Marvel-centric and obsessed with record prices paid for HG books than the Modern board. My bias against the Modern board is probably more related to a usual lack of interest in the topic of the most recent post as shown in the Main Index whenever I log on, perhaps not a true reflection of the range of topics discussed.

If you want a good Modern book to read, try "Preacher" (unless you are easily offended).

Check out Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" run, Gaimn's "Sandman" or Moore/Gaiman's "Miracleman" for some more modern classics.

gossip.gif And none of those are Marvels. smile.gif

I don't mean to knock modern comics - I read quite a few, even a couple Marvel books (X-Statix & Daredevil currently), and thought that Unstable Molecules was one of the better series anyone has put out in recent years.

Even though I have bought quite a few Vertigo titles over the years, I never really checked out Preacher, though it does seem to have a lot of die-hard fans. Now that the hype has died down maybe I should start looking for back issues on the cheap. Of the current Vertigo series I'm a big fan of 100 Bullets, Human Target, and The Losers.

Of the discontinued series, my faves are Shade the Changing Man, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Of the current Vertigo series I'm a big fan of 100 Bullets

I like you already. smile.gif I'm a Bullets die hard - all the issues (almost dupes of everything), all the trades, 5 pages of artwork (4 signed by Risso, Azz, and Johnson), one of Trish's color guides (issue #41 - signed by Trish and Azz). All I need is a -script and a cover. cool.gif

And, for Preacher, just buy the trades. If you try and get all the back issues and read them, you'll go nuts if you miss an issue. You'll read the entire thing (9 trades) in less than a month. It's that good!

Of the current Vertigo series I'm a big fan of 100 Bullets

I like you already. smile.gif I'm a Bullets die hard - all the issues (almost dupes of everything), all the trades, 5 pages of artwork (4 signed by Risso, Azz, and Johnson), one of Trish's color guides (issue #41 - signed by Trish and Azz). All I need is a -script and a cover. cool.gif

And, for Preacher, just buy the trades. If you try and get all the back issues and read them, you'll go nuts if you miss an issue. You'll read the entire thing (9 trades) in less than a month. It's that good!

The best way to read Preacher is to live near Chris and borrow his trades. Thats what I did. tongue.gif

I agree 100% with Chris. He loaned me the first Preacher trade and I read it in one sitting. The next day I was calling him wanting the next volume. It is the wildest comic ride you will ever go on. With every page you will be saying, "I never imagined that they could could do that in a comic book!"

Byrne retired?

I wish he would shocked.gif

He was sooooo great for so many years. These days his writting is just boring and when he inks his own art os has a strange inker, I think "train wreck". He needs Austin or Rubinstein to make his art bearable.

Byrne retired?

He was sooooo great for so many years. These days his writting is just boring and when he inks his own art os has a strange inker, I think "train wreck". He needs Austin or Rubinstein to make his art bearable.

what are you doing awake at this time?

Byrne retired?

Sigh...his flight got delayed...yada yada yada. Asked and answered via PM! sumo.gif

Byrne retired?

Sigh...his flight got delayed...yada yada yada. Asked and answered via PM! sumo.gif

hope he's not grading my books in the morning. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Byrne retired?

I dont' think he grades economy tier books so relax! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Byrne retired?

I dont' think he grades economy tier books so relax! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

good thing, cause my books aren't ecomomy. thumbsup2.gif