• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Feel Bad

10 posts in this topic

Looked at Creepy 5. Recognized it for the quality product it is (based on 1 - 4 at least), but just put it back. $4.99 for a comic just to read for 5-15 minutes (maybe) is just too much and I can't justfy it. Money is tight now. I spend that much for a paperback that keeps me occupied during my commute for 2-3 weeks at 10-20 pages a subway ride.

my shops put TPBs out too for $3-$5 (sometimes) discounted and sometimes i see something interesting...but I suspect DH won't do a cheap TPB for the new version of creepy. it's just silly, i can buy nice creepys from the 60's and early 70's sometimes for $5. i know .... they're probably more common than what is currently being published (mile high chuck probably had 20,000 copies of each issue at some point)

really, should the extra $2 make a difference? yes, the issues are longer than regular comics, so price per page is not the issue and I drop $5-$10 on lunch half the time...I dunno

Paperbacks cost like $8 these days :P

After I used my borders 33-40% off coupons it was usually more like $5...then again, I won't have a borders anywhere near me pretty soon.

Even though they're part of the big box culture that no doubt helped do in some small bookshops, I found Borders preferable to B&N (mainly because of the bigger discounts, sure). And it's not like a small shop or three will fill the void. In a place like NYC these big bookstores are a place a lot of people walk to and hang out, read stuff like a library, peruse. Honestly, there's a lot of stuff book/magazine wise I wouldn't know existed at all (and would never find/look for online) had I not decided to kill 30 minutes at Borders during my lunch break. They also had some nicely discounted stuff good for kids. I bought this cool HUGE book all about the human body and such for my son (that had like a $49.99 price on the jacket) marked down to $7.99 (and then used a coupon on top of that!)...and while his reading isn't good enough to full grasp all the stuff about the make-up of the human cell, etc...he does love perusing it (and I got another one for our babysitter's granddaughter).

I hardly buy new books. I use paperbackswap.com and if I'm ever low on reading material I hit the thrift stores and stock up on $1 hardcovers. Or I'll join the Mystery Guild book club for cheap HC's.

But I do end up paying $8 for a paperback once in a while :blush: I think I paid as much as $20 for those slightly oversized paperbacks

I hardly buy new books. I use paperbackswap.com and if I'm ever low on reading material I hit the thrift stores and stock up on $1 hardcovers. Or I'll join the Mystery Guild book club for cheap HC's.

But I do end up paying $8 for a paperback once in a while :blush: I think I paid as much as $20 for those slightly oversized paperbacks

Paperbackswap is awesome,I got rid of a lot of books that wouldn`t bring me a dollar on Ebay or Amazon because of Paperbackswap. Swap a dvd is good also.

Just goes to show how overpriced modern comic books are compared to dvds and paperbacks. Another thing I heard was Diamond gets a big cut and that is why the modern comic book is so expensive.