• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP - Foray Into Non-Horror GA

27 posts in this topic

Pov,

Do you have the original two Gerber volumes (not the Marvel ones, I'm referring to the BIG ones)? Paging through those would help you record all of the titles. (Sort of like going through Overstreet - WITHOUT all of those titles from the last 30+ years.) If you are going to get one of each title, you can check out the majority of covers and get an idea of which one(s) you might want.

They are pretty thorough on the 1940's stuff, but a bit spotty (or show only the early part of the run) for 1950's titles, particularly if they aren't one of the more collected ones.

If you don't have these books, it would be money well spent to pick up the set. Lets you look at what's out there. I think they are still available through Diamond. I don't know what the list price is, but I think I have seen people selling them for less than $150.

Have you seen these books?

Oh yes - I got the GA Gerber Guides when they first came out - they are very battleworn now - spines in very bad shape and I blush because I am also a book collector. But thanks for the tip - it is a most valid one! grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

A golden age Suzie by Archie Comics is cool and seldom seen... I sent this one in...

I am going to be sending in many Golden Age SuperDuck books also by Archie Comics...

arch-6.jpg

A golden age Suzie by Archie Comics is cool and seldom seen... I sent this one in...

Dranitall! Stop it! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!! Arrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! I need no more enticements. Dagnabbit!

err - what category would you put that in? GA Humor? Good Girl? What? Dranitall 893frustrated.gif

So I am starting a spreadsheet based on my horror pre-code one

Just copy/paste into Excel or other spreadsheet

I have inserted other worksheets into this one with the following categories:

SuperHero - self-explanatory

Scf-Fi - as opposed to horror - for example, Weird Science as opposed to Vault Of Horror. I guess Planet comics would fall in here too.

Romance - self-explanatory

Adventure - broad category including Jungle, Jumbo, Fight, Dagar Desert Hawk, Rangers, Wings etc.

Crime - self explanatory

Teen - best thing I could come up with for the Archie and Archie type books.

I am not including the plain humor/funny animal books. But a WDCS would certainly be a welcome addition. Also the historical type books and Classics.

So - any thoughts on the categories? Sound about right for covering the GA cross-section or am I missing something foreheadslap.gif obvious?

And again - thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support.

POV....my vote for a Rangers comic is #38. Great Firehair cover. I think it would appeal to your horror bent as well as Firehair is bound and has a hangman's noose round her neck.

Hey Muishroom - I already have a Rangers in mind - dang but I sold it several years ago but had a REALLY nice VF of Rangers 14. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Looked up the 38 in Gerber's and it IS a pretty cool cover - but I cannot get that 14 out of my mind! frown.gif (and I KNOW when and if I find it I will have to pay dearly for it in much lesser grade than I had it.)