• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stamps/Bonds/Loans covers - let's see 'em
3 3

226 posts in this topic

Gotta sink those Japanazis...

WFC_08_zps87fa8632.jpg

My, what a lovely book.

Of which I was completely unaware :baiting:

I've been waiting ages for you to post this, given you told me you had secured it 21 January.

What took you so long?

Edited by Duffman_Comics

I've been waiting ages for you to post this, given you told me you had secured it 21 January.

What took you so long?

Shipping - I 'bank' wins at Heritage and get them sent when I have five invoices worth. In this case saved me around $150 compared to getting them sent individually.

I have one of these somewhere...I would take my dime to school every

week to buy a stamp. I remember filling one and getting a bond...it was

a thrill as a kid.

mm

As soon as I saw these today I thought of this thread. I have never seen these before so I thought some of you would be interested in seeing them too.

20130609_warsavings1.jpg

20130609_warsavings2.jpg

20130609_warsavings3.jpg

20130609_warsavings4.jpg

Didn't Gertrude ever turn her book in for a bond? hm

As soon as I saw these today I thought of this thread. I have never seen these before so I thought some of you would be interested in seeing them too.

20130609_warsavings1.jpg

20130609_warsavings2.jpg

20130609_warsavings3.jpg

20130609_warsavings4.jpg

Didn't Gertrude ever turn her book in for a bond? hm

I guess not. These aren't mine someone in Canada owns them. From what I understand is they are still redeemable, but only at face value as they are non-interest bearing.

Wow - that's a great item (the book of stamps).

At one stage I watched eBay trying to find something like that, or an original war bond of the type on the cover of the Dells back on p1 of this thread, but they seem to be harder to come by than I expected.

Sqeggs: nice Batman 17 - on my wants list!

Nice cover one hundred dollar war bond was big money back then now it's a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Yep, $100 in 1945 is almost $1,300 now. Not too hard to see why those bonds are hard to come today - plenty of incentive to trade them in.

Nice cover one hundred dollar war bond was big money back then now it's a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Yep, $100 in 1945 is almost $1,300 now. Not too hard to see why those bonds are hard to come today - plenty of incentive to trade them in.

Actually, the bond was worth less then face value when issued in 1945 - it would take ten years to reach that value. It also earned interest until 1985. (40 years worth)

The Bonds are only redeemable to the person on the bond. A quick ebay search for "series E bond" comes up with several unredeemed ones during the WWII years.

I just discovered the existence of another couple of War Bonds covers this week: Super Comics #74 and 86. Now I have to find them...

But for now, I'm officially excited to add this one to the collection. :banana:

large.Superman_018.jpg.a20c2c71141148b50ae26ffd6c13c4e9.jpg

I just discovered the existence of another couple of War Bonds covers this week: Super Comics #74 and 86. Now I have to find them...

But for now, I'm officially excited to add this one to the collection. :banana:

Superman_018_zpsfdb49bdc.jpg

Very nice looking copy. Congrats!

I didn't know this one existed until recently - and then a gorgeous copy bobs up on Heritage.

Super_Comics_47_Heritage_zpsa4822cfb.jpeg

How'd I miss this?

Lovely book and I have a soft spot for those anthology comics where the disparate characters (who inhabit quite different "universes" within the book) get to interact on the cover.

It's great seeing Dick Tracy ignore Little Orphan Annie lol